Gary Con IV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by otto von grunwald, Apr 2, 2011.

1. caalas

caalas Level 0 Character

[/quote]
    Are you the guy who recommended "Hey! That's My Fish!" and "Tumblin' Dice" to my wife? Both went over well with the wife and kids, and I taught a friend and his 10 year old son Ticket To Ride with your set, as well.

I'm in for Car Wars, if you run it. Conventions are the only place I've ever played it, actually.[/quote]

Yea, that was me, I'm so glad they had a great time. Actually, they are the ones that sparked the idea to come up with the list of games by type so family's could find good games with easy to learn rules. I didn't bring a lot of kids games this year but I will for sure next year.

2. a flannel shirt

a flannel shirt Footpad

What other games are you guys preparing for GC IV?

So far I've play tested my MSH game once, written about 65% of my basic D&D game (first play test is the 17th) and only have a small concept for my SWSE game.

I'm also thinking about playing in games of call of cthulhu, first edition AD&D, and paranoia. If time permits that is. I may also bring my Magic cards if people wanted to play to kill some time.

Also I may even be bringing an entourage. I have my wife, my son, possibly my nephew, maybe two from my group, and another two or three from a cross over group. I couldn't think of another name for the cross over group, they are just another group that I play in once in a while and some of them play in my games, but we are not regulars in each others games.

I'm excited.

Since I'll be bringing my basic books, do you think Frank Mentzer would sign them for me if I asked him? I don't want to impose.

3. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Car Wars.

Me too.

Been hearing a lot about this game for years, but haven't seen it played.

Vrooom, vrooom!

:)

4. Hey Rhu,

think of Le Mans + mine droppers, MGs, and rocket launchers! :twisted:

-Otto the Reverse-trike-with-ram-plate driver

5. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I don't think Frank will mind "destroying" your Basic D&D books. (He likes to put it that way.) I've never seen him turn anyone down and the Great Thing about GaryCon is that it has the local gaming table feel. No one acts like a superstar.....they are all just good people.

Oh, and I'm glad to hear you're excited. GaryCon is a lot of fun for everyone and I think you will enjoy it more than you can even realize! :D

6. jwk82263

jwk82263 Level 0 Character

car wars would be great. remember the good old days. my lightweight trike running around in the arena from the car with a bigass battering ram on it.

7. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

Count me in for Car Wars - the last Car Wars game I played (many moons ago) had two cars heading straight for a wall at 80 mph, too late to brake, too late for a 180 skid, and my car's driver (British make) shooting out the window at the other car's driver (American make) who was shooting back at mine.

Then that gaming group broke apart, and we never did find out exactly what happened next. :mrgreen:

8. szieser

szieser Level 0 Character

I didn't make it to GC III, but enough people whom I knew did to make me jealous enough to make plans to come to GC IV. I ALSO have access to a Matchbox-scale Car Wars Autodueling setup a friend of mine made. While I'm doubting I could get him to tag along, I KNOW I could borrow his setup for the weekend quite easily. That is, if anyone was interested in such a thing... ;)

9. Donal

Donal Administrator

Do you have pictures of this massive setup?

10. szieser

szieser Level 0 Character

we actually are going to be playing tomorrow; I will try to remember to snap some photos to share!

11. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I'm already thinking of what to run next year. What sounds good to me at the moment are Gangbusters, Boot Hill, Amber Diceless RPG and Vampire the Masquerade (maybe Dark Ages).

12. I was personally thinking of running some Traveller, Alternity, or GURPS thing. I'd do some LA but that seems to be covered pretty well every year.

13. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Hmm....two Alternity games? I haz compitshun?

14. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

All of those sound great! I've wanted to play each one of them but have only played Vampire: Dark Ages. Dark Ages used to be my first and most favorite choice for Vampire but I really came to like Victorian Age Vampire. It was a great system and I enjoyed it but most of the games fell apart too quickly. Not enough commitment.

Lord help me, but I've also wanted to play Amber. I've owned it for years but could never get a chance to play it. Looks to be a great system but I think if Dave Kenzer saw me playing it he might beat me over the head with his dice bag and make me wear the hubcap of shame! ;)

The only time I've seen Boot Hill were ads in Dragon Magazine and the conversion table (???) in the AD&D DMG. Always thought that would be fun to play but it's pretty hard to find.

Gangbusters, of course, sounds like a blast and I've heard stories of people who have played it and seemed to enjoy it.

So, my vote is for Dark Ages but I'd love to play in any of them!

15. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

The DGS will certainly be in attendance.

I'll be running a Call of Cthulhu themed in the 1970's called "Call of Cthulhu by Strobe-light". Colin is writing the book for that and I'll be doing the art and layout. We hope to be handing them out to players that sign up for the game.

Call of Cthulhu d20
    Marvel Super heroes
    Star Wars d20
    d&d 3.5

and if we begin on Thursday (or maybe on Sunday morning)
    another call of Cthulhu

I'm getting the rings, costumes and swag ready,

Michael
    makerofthings

16. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

For my part, while both sides are awesome, I personally fancy the colored version. Though the addition of the number stamp with it would be extra cool. Just my two copper.

17. caalas

caalas Level 0 Character

Count me in for Cthulu d20!!! I'll trade a reserved seat at the Car Wars table for the same at a Cthulu table.

18. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Spoken like a true gamer.

I normally would prefer non-painted coins, but the painted side of the last one was really well done and methinks Easley's wizard would look good with color. An unpainted side for GCIV would match the first coin, but I'm wondering what the symbol will be. Is that wizard a "permanent" logo or just one for GCIII?

19. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

The wizard was intended as a GC III artwork only. But Jeff did such an awesome job, that we may use it going forward. I am going to ask Jeff to do art for Gary Con IV- I think a dragon is needed this year (GC I-Lizardman, GC II- Paladin, GC III- Wizard).

I like the color coin myself.

20. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Luke, that would be awesome. I love Easley's Dragons. Only person I think that comes close to his dragon work is Whelan.