Gary Con Rations -- Vital Supplies!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gronan of Simmerya, Feb 6, 2014.

1. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

There is, and they are spectacular.

2. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Yep. They take orders at the gaming table and bring the food right to you. It is wonderful.

3. kersus

kersus Footpad

Ooooooo. I didn't think I could be more excited, and yet I am!

4. Believe me, when you're reffing, between the waitstaff bringing you food and the Con staff bringing you water, it's a real lifesaver. I can't say enough good stuff about being a ref at Gary Con.

5. Dale

Dale Administrator

Thanks for the nice comments. The DM concierge service will be back again this year. Thanks to all the volunteers for taking care of the Game Masters!

6. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I'll preface this by saying that I love Gary Con and we have a lot of fun at the convention. I get to go to two conventions a year, Gary Con and Gen Con. Gary Con is my play time (because I have to work during Gen Con), and I would say 95% of my issues are with the venue, NOT the Gary Con staff.

We didn't order any food from the gaming areas, but the one time we went to the restaurant we waited for 45 minutes after being seated and were ignored by the wait staff. I recall distinctly Stephen Sullivan and his wife coming in, being seated and having their order taken long after my wife and I were seated. We never even got drinks!

Hopefully there won't be issue like that this year. My wife has a medical need to eat regularly, and while alcohol service seemed to be top priority at The Lodge, she can't have a liquid lunch with her medicine. That can cause liver failure and death*.

Not being able to get food because the staff felt it was too much trouble to wait on us in the restaurant (regardless of what the actual reason is) is NOT acceptable. It's bad enough that they say "No outside food or drinks in the gaming area," then to have a selection for us that consists of fried carbs and fat and high-sugar & artificially sweetened drinks only (albeit adding coffee last year was good) or booze, is really off-putting. Some folks, including us, have dietary needs that are a little more complicated than maple bacon doughnut for breakfast, fried cheese and fried chicken with Diet Coke for lunch, and fried cheese and fried chicken of a different shape for dinner (though, to be fair, I am less picky about these things than my wife, but my stomach has limits now it didn't have 10 years ago).

If The Lodge corrects these issues, as Dale and others have said they will, then fantastic! We'll look forward to coming for as long as our budget can sustain two conventions. Hopefully all the problems are just growing pains, because the thing with growing pains is, you outgrow them.

* This may seem flippant and hyperbolic, but I am being serious.

7. Dale

Dale Administrator

We have addressed our serious concerns with the menu. Luke & I prefer healthier choices (as a lot of our gamers). Yes, we like junk food, but not 24/7. Luke is scheduled to talk to the chef this week to go over the menu. There will be better options.

I also spoke to the F&B manager last week and they have more staffing for our event this year. Everything seems to be pointing in a positive direction.

8. diaglo

diaglo Chevalier

being diabetic for 27 years has made me scout out places ahead of time (part of the reason i rent a car when going to GaryCon). besides getting to see the lake and surrounding area it also helps me find places to eat and/or buy things i can eat. i make time for it as it is very necessary.

quick bite things like hot dogs, pizza, and beer. are fine on occassion.
    but for breakfast and dinner i go into town.
    it costs a bit more in time and money. but it is worth it. i use the time to also catch up with friends.

not knocking the Lodge. but i will just agree with others and say it has limits.

9. Madcity

Madcity Level 0 Character

My first year and since I am running games. I'll be bringing protein shakes, bananas, clementines and maybe nuts or roasted chic peas to hold me over until dinner.

10. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

diaglo...how much does it cost in town?

11. diaglo

diaglo Chevalier

Jim,
    $20 same as in town.

but that includes the tip.

12. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Better plan nature calls to give myself time to scarf a nutritious edible from the room.

13. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

We usually eat dinner in town, as well. I just can't do back-to-back-to-back games anymore. Plus, it's a vacation for us, and sometimes my wife and I like the opportunity to socialize in a quieter, less hectic setting.

Popeye's has EXCELLENT food. No, not the fast-food chicken chain. It's on the lake. There's also a decent sushi place just down the street from the old Gygax house. I don't remember the name, but it's in one of the old houses.

If any of those roasted chickpeas show up at my table, I may have to eat them in exchange for letting your character live. :D

14. extsr

extsr Chevalier

Williams Bay is closer than Lake Geneva.

Great cafe (breakfast/lunch):

Daddy Maxwells.com
    150 Elkhorn Road, Williams Bay
    262 245-5757

Fine Dining, good Italian:

CafeCalimari.com
    8 East Geneva St., Williams Bay
    262 245-9665

Fine Dining lakeside:

Pier290.com
    1 Liechty Drive, Williams Bay
    262 245-2100

15. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I think I and many, many GaryCon attendees can attest to the greatness of Daddy Maxwell's, as the food is great and it isn't more than a 5 minute ride from the Lodge. Cash only, if I recall.

16. I always buy some food before I go to any Con and store it in my room. I wish the resort had fridges in their rooms. Still, I find just staying at the Hotel the whole time at the Con can be a little too much, I want to get out every so often.

17. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

We had a fridge in our room....are they not standard?

18. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I thought so, too.

19. OGRE MAGE

OGRE MAGE Footpad

What does "no outside food or drinks in the gaming area" actually mean?

Are they talking about bringing in a "meal" from another reasturant or does that mean absolutely NO food/drink that wasnt purchased there?

Is it ok to bring a soda or a snack to the tables that we brought from our room?

20. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

In our experience, we've been able to bring snacks and drinks to the tables. I think as long as you don't overdo it nobody is going to get to militant about it (or at least they have not in the past).

Also, we've had a Satruday Night game evey year (running campaign once a year its awesome) and last year some of the players went crazy with the snacks - knowing we'd be there from 8PM until 3 or 4 (or 5 or 6) in the morning....we had a mountain of snacks on the table, even wine. Nobody said a word. My supposition is that because it was late and essentially you couldn't get food from them, the resort folks didnt' mind...

Just our experience...for all I know it could be that the resort saw this all last year and is going to come down hard this year....?