Gary Con V March 14-17, 2013!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Melf, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Wed should be at the $89 room rate as well.

2. mark

mark Spellbinder

Thanks. I'll give them a shout and be sure it has been applied correctly.

3. As soon as I can register I will see about getting the other stuff. I missed the Con last year for financial reasons, here's hoping I can make it this time.

4. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Well, my confirmation email arrived, and it included this info:

So, the Sunday night lower rate was definitely included. (Of course, I had to have them re-adjust the reservation for my Wednesday arrival, too....).

5. smokin

smokin Chevalier

I know the GC is growing beyond its limits. Here is a 'not too practical' idea.
    Splitting the gaming up between sites.
    Geneva Ridge would still be the HQ and bulk of events.
    What is the business that is currently controlling the site where TSR occupied?
    Unless they hate us, maybe some weekend warehouse space could be rented for nostalgic feel, or the community center that held the first event? What/who is in the old Playboy Club building?
    There are probably some other important sites in LG that would excite attendees to see also.
    Im sure it has been thought over by someone, and it would require alot of logistics but...
    the only stupid question is the one that doesnt get asked yes?

6. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

As someone who just returned from Gen Con, where he stayed in a hotel on one side of the "block" and every game he ran/played in was at the other end, I gotta say that having everything under one roof at Gary Con is a HUGE improvement. I literally walked the length of the convention center (and then some) for each and every event. I'm there to game and enjoy, not for the impromptu cardio workout four times a day.

7. rsagris@gmail.com

[email protected] Level 0 Character

I just made my reservations, I'm really looking forward to attending my second GaryCon.

I had the most fun at last years Con than I've had anywhere else. It was all about the dice and rollplaying, nothing else.

I personally hope it stays like that, I even think a possible better use of space would be to move the featured dealer area to that glass'ed in room on the first floor across from the main desk and use the current dealer area for gaming tables, but I'll put my trust into you event coordinator types to know what really is the best use of the space.

I can't wait!

-Rob

8. silas

silas Chevalier

I love the lodge, and I hope we can stay there.

Staff has always been very friendly, there is ample parking, the grounds and view are nice, good food in the dining room.

It didn't seem too crowded last year, although yes, the con is growing.

9. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I'll be there for sure. I hope the Lodge's beds are OK for my wife's back. We reserved a handicap room, so we'll see.

I'll probably run two sessions of Paranoia under the DGS banner and one session of something else ('cause frankly, I don't want to run Paranoia three times. I haven't decided on the other game yet. It might be a Dead Game like Basic D&D, Star Frontiers, Alternity, Star Wars D6, or Marvel Super Heroes (FASERIP), or it might be a new game like Bulldogs! (FATE), Hollow Earth Expedition, Call of Cthulhu (6th edition...there's a 7th coming, I hear, so 6th might be "dead" by March) or Deadlands: Reloaded (Savage Worlds).

Decisions, decisions. I plan to play at least 3 or 4 games while I'm there, too. I spend enough of Gen Con not gaming, Gary Con is play time!

10. Icetower

Icetower Level 0 Character

Just booked my room, now to figure out the rest...

11. Bigby1980

Bigby1980 Level 0 Character

Woo-Hoo! I set up my reservation from the 13th to the 17th! Cannot wait to attend my first Con! Gary Con will be awesome!

12. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

It's awesome man. Don't overschedule and, if you are a drinker, don't kill it on the first night and wind up fighting a hangover the next day. :)

13. capitalbill

capitalbill Level 0 Character

Methinks you need to write that down yourself for future reference, Chainsaw.
    :D

14. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

I know, I know... do as I say, not as I do. :mrgreen:

15. Fuesar

Fuesar Footpad

Excitement abounds here!

16. lige

lige Level 0 Character

Now you tell me!

17. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

This is especially true if you are part of the staff! I had to make several CON checks over the past couple years. There are just too many good friends that I only get to see once a year at Gary Con. It is really a pleasure to have such a great group of people there. Thanks to everyone for making it such an amazing celebration!

18. silas

silas Chevalier

Michael failed his CON check the first day of GenCon: we had to continue on without a party member for an entire day!

But Chad has 18 CON and can drink like a dwarf and run 4 games the following day!

19. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

I know the feeling... when you are pounding shots of Jager at Foley's at 1:45AM, you are in for some pain the next day.

20. One advantage of advanced age is that the increase in wisdom makes up for the decrease in constitution.

Translation: I no longer get sh*tfaced drunk...

Also... limit attendance. Don't let Gary Con grow out of control. I liked Gen Con best when it was in Horticultural Hall, although Parkside wasn't too bad.