Gary Con X Events

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dndgeek, May 22, 2017.

1. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

What have you got in the hopper for GCX?

I'm working on 6 miniatures events for next year: Tomb of Horrors (40th Anniv), Planet of the Apes (50th Anniv), DOOM (25th Anniv), Little War of the Worlds (65th/80th/105th/120th Anniv), Dungeons & Dragons: Requiem (35th Anniv of cartoon), Aliens • Reactor Room, Beowulf (Dungeons Deep) and I've added a Thing board game as an 7th event. (Follow my progress at http://www.facebook.com/dndgeek if interested.)

EDIT: I had to give up on Dungeons & Dragons: Requiem as I could not source any minis that don't break when looking at them. Will try again for the 40th anniversary.

Submitted Schedule:
    Thu 3/8 10am-7pm: Tomb of Horrors in Miniature • 40th Anniversary Game (AD&D 1e)
    Fri 3/9 5pm-8pm: DOOM: Hell Keep • 25th Anniversary Game (2016 FF miniatures game)
    Fri 3/9 9pm-midnight: Beowulf (Dungeons Deep)
    Sat 3/10 9am-noon: Little War of the Worlds • 120th Anniversary Game (Little Wars)
    Sat 3/10 6pm-9pm: Planet of the Apes • 50th Anniversary Game (custom board/mini game)
    Sat 3/10 10pm-midnight: The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31 (2017 Mondo board game)
    Sun 3/11 10am-noon: Aliens • Reactor Room (Aliens: This Time It's War)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Melf, chainsaw and Poindexter like this.
  2. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

You have a very understanding family. ;-)

Poindexter and dndgeek like this.
  3. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

I'm working on a series of modules for the D&D room that will, once again, pair me with one of the old time greats. This particular storyteller has been very busy recently, so I'm not sure that we're prepared to make a formal announcement just yet. But I predict a great deal of awesomeness.

Poindexter and dndgeek like this.
  4. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Yes, they understand just how far 'round the bend I've gone.

5. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

A series of modules, ay? Color me prickly. With excitement, that is.

6. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Not sure. May do Squad Leader...debting running a version of the DMG sample dungeon.

dndgeek likes this.
  7. gmbarry

gmbarry Footpad

I am working on a Dangerous Journey Game and doing a PoDW game ... dont know if any is interested in either but....

If you do not know what PoDW is, then it is not the game for you.... lol

Melf and chainsaw like this.
  8. schoolmaster

schoolmaster Level 0 Character

As registration draws nigh, I've been musing on what I should run next year. Right now, I'm considering the following:

A new "Classic" Empire of the Petal Throne scenario.
    An EPT game set in the post-apocalyptic Latter Times.
    A scenario set in my Lovecraftian Swords & Sorcery setting, Mu using a S&W variant.
    A new Delta Green Scenario.

Whatever I decide to do at GC will get its initial shake-down run at Gamehole Con. With that con drawing near, I better make up my mind soon.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    chainsaw and dndgeek like this.
  9. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Planning to submit the following Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (AS&SH) games:

Schedule
    Thurs 2PM-6PM - Crash at Corpse Creek
    Thurs 8PM-12AM - Foolsgrave

Fri 2PM-6PM- Crash at Corpse Creek
    Fri 8PM-12AM - Foolsgrave

Sat
    9AM-1PM - Taken from Dunwich
    Sat 2PM-6PM - The Strange Tale of Crystal Point
    Sat 8PM-12AM - Foolsgrave

Descriptions
    Crash at Corpse Creek. A strange object has fallen from the stars, crashing into the cold, haunted swamp of Corpse Creek. Several curious trappers from a nearby camp went to investigate, but none have returned. The remainder have hired your group to find their friends, but they warn you that Corpse Creek teems with the living dead and that its strange bugs have awakened early from their winter freeze, including some giant varieties never seen before in Hyperborea. A site-based adventure for player characters of levels 3-5.

Foolsgrave. Khromarium's mysterious spiraling towers of black gneiss predate mankind, an ever-present reminder of how strange and alien things once ruled Hyperborea. During the Festival of Plutonia, a sombre commemoration of death, darkness and the all-consuming void, one such tower's impenetrable doors slowly creaked open, admitting anyone brave enough to descend into its depths. Many have entered, but few have returned - some with wealth overflowing, others simply mad, drooling and babbling. Locals now refer to the labyrinth as Foolsgrave. A living megadungeon crawl for player characters of levels 1-3.

The Strange Tale of Crystal Point. In the far reaches of Hyperborea's Crab Archipelago, lies a small, mountainous island known as Crystal Point. Passing sailors have recently seen a crimson glow in Crystal Point's waters, beams of reddish-brown light shining up from its steep cliffs and frequent lightning storms overhead. One famous sage believes Crystal Point may hide the lost treasure of Atlantis! Eager for adventure and treasure, you agreed to explore the island and, after a long journey, have finally set foot on its rocky beach. A site-based adventure for player characters of levels 7-9.

Taken from Dunwich. Murder, mayhem, and abduction! After the Keltic village of Dunwich is victimized by the vhuurmis, degenerate quasi-men covered in umber-coloured fur, local druids offer land and title to those brave souls who would repair the situation. The vhuurmis are considered witless savages, seemingly incapable of organized incursions, but these particular brutes attacked with purpose and precision, taking men from Dunwich, and slaying any who opposed their black will. A site-based adventure for player characters of levels 4-7.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Khasimir, Poindexter and dndgeek like this.
  10. Khasimir

Khasimir Footpad

Here's what I'll be running (times TBD)

Thursday: Castle Amber (AD&D).
    Friday: Pack of Orcs Now. This years AD&D 'Orc' themed game is a play on the classic war movie 'Apocalypse Now'.
    Saturday: Caverns of Thracia (AD&D). I've run Tegel Manor for the last two years and I'd like to change things up a little with a different Judges Guild module.
    Sunday: Squad Leader - 2 different sessions at the same time, one being the Classic Guards Counterattack scenario and one a little more advanced for those who are already familiar with the system. This Sunday morning game seems to be well received the past 2 years, so I'm putting this as a fixture for the games I run each year.

I'm also toying with running 'Descent into Krimmea' for Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea. It's a non-linear underground dungeon/city crawl for characters around levels 3-5.

dndgeek and chainsaw like this.
  11. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Interesting! Is this adventure something you would write or have written yourself?

12. Khasimir

Khasimir Footpad

I'm actually in the process of writing it now. I've been meaning to put something out for it on the Northwind boards.;)

Melf and chainsaw like this.
  13. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Poindexter likes this.
  14. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

aren't you missing one? or perhaps i am missing something myself.
    hmmm, ok. i followed the link so perhaps one is supposed to be missing...

15. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Oh yeah, duh, I left Presto out. Now where did I stash him...?

Poindexter likes this.
  16. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Squad Leader sounds good! I tried to run two (Stalingrad and The Road To Wiltz) at GC8...unfortunately, despite being fully booked, NOBODY could be bothered to show up.

17. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

There was a lot of that going around GC8, but not so much last year with the new system.

18. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Unfortunately, I wound up wasting about three hours setting up (plus the six hours booked) for nothing. I am considering running SL or Tobruk, but the thought of a repeat concerns me.

19. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

DOOM prep

[​IMG]

Melf, SoulCatcher78 and Poindexter like this.
  20. Khasimir

Khasimir Footpad

I've been keeping mine to just Guards Counterattack so it's a simple learning scenario for those who've never played or haven't done so in years. This year I'm going to add a bit more advanced scenario into the mix for a few guys who've taken the game up.