GaryCon XII WiFi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zarathon, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Zarathon

Zarathon Administrator Staff Member

With this year's reliance on TTE and no print schedules, will there be any WiFi options? For those there at GC XI, how was cellular service for data? Full disclosure, I have Verizon.

The usual caveats of "be careful connecting to a strange WAP" or even one that seems legit, wifi interceptors and so forth.

2. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

I am glad they are saving on trees.

I plan on saving screenshots on my phone just in case of a weak signal. This includes both my events and those signed up for events I am running/help running.

Zarathon likes this.
  3. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

Wifi in the resort has been solid the past few years. The only place where I've ever had a problem is the stairwell down to the GM Lounge. The Lounge area has its own router, but there's a gap in coverage right there in the stairwell.

Zarathon likes this.
  4. SoulCatcher78

SoulCatcher78 Level 0 Character

Verizon coverage on the property is solid. I didn't use the wifi last year but heard comments that it had improved over previous years.

Zarathon likes this.
  5. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Really? That would be nice.

After the first year was so awful, I just started going outside for all calls.

Zarathon likes this.
  6. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Was there an announcement? I don't remember hearing the event book schedule was discontinued.

7. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Yes, in an email from Gary Con via TTE.

So, I think they did it in the best way possible...well. I suppose if there was a news item on garycon.com it could have been better.

Beats just being on FB.

sir jon likes this.
  8. Zarathon

Zarathon Administrator Staff Member

Is it available to all or just room holders?

9. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

Available to all. Last year we had a ton of people who weren't staying at the GG playing in AL games, and our preferential mode of getting a pregenerated character was to visit DnDBeyond.com.