GC II Comments and Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Totan, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I had not thought of the increased social aspect of brief scheduled breaks between events. That makes me like the idea even more.

(restating) 30 minutes would allow a game that is very close to a major accomplishment, more flexability in finishing without affecting other games by squatting at their table or delaying players from moving on. GMs should not TRY to fill that extra time - unless it is a double slot event.

(expanded) It would give GMs time to seek sustenance and relief without interrupting or delaying a game. I don't think the breaks would lessening the play time, I think it would maintain if not expand the gaming time in that a person that is well fed and hydrated should be able to game longer (I think it would help me keep my energy levels up); then perhaps I could play 22 hours a day instead of a measely 18-20 :)

(new revelation thanks to kveldulf) Having time to talk to other players between games, maybe exchange info, would be great. It now occurs to me that I interrupted other players and was interupted by other players during games for the purpose of exchanging information since you can't assume that everyone will be there the whole time.

2. shalaban

shalaban Chevalier

Out of all the stuff I got at the door, and all the signs I seen, I never once seen the Gary Con web site address.

Thru this site I have made friends, discussed games to be played at the con, anticipated the con, and discussed the future of the con and so much more. I seen at least 15 people checking us out who did not know what Gary Con was.

So maybe you could put the address on the posters/flyers/accoutrements and such. ;)

3. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I couldn't agree more. There were a few folks that wanted to hang out and talk but didn't have a chance to because of the gaming schedule. Of course, that's why I ended up skipping a game or two.....so I could spend some time talking and visiting with folks. However, I was able to play quite a few pick up games so that made it work out some for me.

4. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Great point Eric! We really screwed up by not doing that this year. We will make sure to do it going forward!

I guess we have to rely on word of mouth for now.

Luke

5. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

The DGS is happy to spread the word. We already have a Garycon thread open on our forums.

6. spaartuk

spaartuk Level 0 Character

I was lucky enough to get a ticket to play in the mondo "...Falx" game on Saturday after the auction. I can only speak for myself, but I think we had a great time even though we had to build the world's largest gaming table. Frank kept us moving along, and we were all smiling (even the guys who got "lost" early on).

I felt bad for about two seconds when I saw that Frank was going to let so many people who didn't have tickets join the game. Then I saw how excited the young man who played Sherlane the Cleric was to be at the table. He looked to be a little older than I was when I started playing red box Basic. That's what the game's all about, right?

The Lodge was a great venue. I chatted with Luke about how nice it was to have daylight streaming in on us. So much for gamers being basement-dwelling Myconids.

I'll give a "me too" to the suggestion about leaving some time between classes to go to your locker. And also, the New Glarus sponsorship. Mmmmmm. Beer.

7. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Why do you hate fun....gus?

8. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

One more suggestion: double the admission. I felt like I was swindling Gary Con!

9. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I would not fault any GM for adding games to the Con last minute. GMs are the life blood of a Con. A GM that had a hand in creating the wonders that we enjoy so much is truly a blessing. I do not know which VIP game I was reporting on as that information was not related to me.

What is not right in my opinion is for players that had committed to an event to bail at the last minute to go to another game. I'm sure any VIP DM would have easily filled their table from players that did not have an event that slot, so those players that jumped were being selfish, IMO.

Frank, I played in your game after the auction (so the game started 2 hours late). I would very much have liked to see the game through and it was really starting to get exciting by 9pm. However, I had a slot 8 (9pm) game. Despite being quite excited about being in your game and observing your style, I was not willing to bail on my next game to stay in your game; I felt I had a commitment to the next game that should be honored. I hope that my loss was someone else's gain; that the dead guy (exhibit infinity for "do not to split the party" :) ) I gave my character to was able to have a lot more fun.

10. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Facilities

Hotel was very nice. Tables fine. Sufficient space (for now, anyway…).

Food

The hotel provided food was ok. I had the sandwiches, which were delicious, although not terribly filling for $4.50. Disappointed I didn’t see anything heartier (meat/eggs/cheese) than muffins for breakfast.

I didn’t get to try any of the dinner buffets, since there wasn’t open time for it.
    I didn’t even realize there were others (breakfast, lunch?) – if they put up signs for them, I never saw them.

Did most of my eating by buying food offsite early in the day and leaving it in the car for occasional forays. I only had time to do this, though, because both days my 9-1 game only took about 3 hrs.

All in all, food situation was not bad.

GMing

All the games I preregistered for ran, and all games I played were run well and had prepared, knowledgeable GMs.

Registration/Events

Pre-registering for the con and for events was a breeze.
    Didn’t matter for me this year, but generally speaking, it would be nice to be able to know after Event Registration closes what you did and didn’t get put into, to help make plans.

On-site registration was also fast and easy. Free items were nice.

Library of games was nice.

Status sheets of how full games were and their location was good. Wall of ad-hoc games was good.

If something can be brainstormed, a clear visible signal at tables for “Full” and “Recruiting” would be nice. Maybe 2 forms that GMs can fill out in advance/bring for each event, then tape/tack/whatever to table?

Auctions

Sounds like both ran smoothly.

For the Silent, I couldn’t bid on anything, because I wasn’t able to be there Sunday. I don’t know what percentage of each year’s attendees are in the same boat, but if it’s not small, maybe have the Silent Auction wrap at the conclusion of the regular Auction.

The timing of the Auction was a little messy, I think. Some games played through, some didn’t, and a lot of people didn’t seem aware games were supposed to pause/end at that time so players could go to it.
    Could use a little clearer communication of what the plan is and a dedicated time/slot (1 or 2 hrs) for the Auction.

Misc

The cost was fine.

The card game was a nice idea.

Hometown and Forum Name on badge would be nice to have (just request them at registration, people who don’t want them shown can leave them blank).

Thanks to our chain maille gal (Ashley?) and whomever recruited her. ;) A refreshing break from so many men, men, men, men….

Time Slots

I’m leaning towards liking a little more flexible schedule. Something like:

A)
    Just go by hour blocks and let events run whenever. For example, event X: slots 4-10 (or 12-7pm, if by real time is easier).

Friday
    1: 9-10
    2: 10-11
    3: 11-12
    16: mid-1

Saturday
    17: 9-10
    18: 10-11
    19: 11-12
    32: mid-1

Sunday
    33: 9-10
    34: 10-11
    35: 11-12
    39: 3-4

This is not as clean and easy (and admittedly, not ‘working’ the con, I don’t know how much more difficult it would be). Creating breaks in the schedule is left up to each participant. Also, a lot of RPG events seem not to fit adequately into 4 hrs, so now they can be scheduled however long they really need to be. I know I shied away from some events I knew wouldn’t fit in 4 hrs and were going to get cut short or spill into the next slot, and then leave me with 1/2 a slot and nothing to do in it.

B:

As a compromise between A and current - break time into chunks of 2 hrs and have events scheduled for 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours.

As I said in the Thanks Thread – all in all, it was another fantastic year

11. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Okay, here is an idea bouncing around in my head (mostly due to the empty space)
    [​IMG]
    The red flag would indicate that the game does not have enough players to commence.
    The yellow flag would mean that there are enough players to play, but more would be nice/welcome.
    The green flag would mean that the game is full, or has begun with a sufficient number of players and no more are welcome at that time.
    No flag would mean that it is an empty table that slot.

The table number would be circular and repeating or 3 or 4 sided. There could be space on here to use a wet erase marker or grease pencil to write the game system and or some other basic info.

In total the active flag would be about 5.5' above the table; the inactive flags should be high enough that they should not block line of sight for or to the GM.

It would mostly be made of wood. I was thinking the base could be 2x6 (5.5"x5.5") for a little weight. Hmm or maybe I should plan on 2x8 (7.5"x7.5") for greater tip resistance? I think I could make these fairly inexpensively, but would have to price it out. Wood dolls (sp.) could be expensive, but if they are perhaps I could find a cheaper suitable material. I could include one or more spring clips on the thicker bottom upright to attach more information, such as pre-printed event info that could just be clipped on.

What do folks think? Changes, additions?

12. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Cool, but sounds like a lot of work. How about a tent card with Open on one side and Full on the other?

13. jwk82263

jwk82263 Level 0 Character

just send smoke signals. party can use their campfire to attract more players. lol.

14. Donal

Donal Administrator

Will the wood dolls be holding the flags? Were you thinking Cabbage Patch type dolls or Nutcracker.

Oh, wait, you mean dowels! Ah, now it's much clearer.

Interesting idea, but a lot of work. They might be too fragile, as I would guarantee not only would they take a spill on the table, but I could see a few going all the way to the floor.

There are plenty of metal table number card holders on the market for just a few bucks each (think about the last banquet or wedding you went to). Hard to beat their durability--and I would be surprised if the wood could beat their price point. This, or something similar, is a likely upgrade for next year. Colored cards to indicate full/available would be an easy add-on as well.

15. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I agree that metal would be easier, more durable, and probably cheaper if available; that was my original thought above, however someone posted that they should be highly visible. I took that to mean above people's heads when they are walking around (getting to or looking for events), which makes total sense to me. If a 5'+ wire one can be found that would be a pretty good thing, I think

I could make one to test durability if the idea has merit/desire. Could also change the design to use larger wood pieces, perhaps molding instead of DOWELS, and just have the flags slip over the top instead of on their own stick. I was thinking the bottom dowel would be 1/2", which I doubt would break without some effort. The 3/16 or 1/4" flag stick I too would have questions about in the case of accidental abuse. I think perhaps it would only be a a few dollars per table. I have a neighbor that could sew the flags, I would do the rest - and have a few months if we know that these (or a variant) would indeed be useful and cost effective or at least competitive.

Yes, it would be a chunk of work, but it it help Gary Con be better...

Ouch, I put "(sp.)" (a/k/a spelling questionable/doubtful) and still get stabbed. It was 4am and I was to tired/lazy to switch windows to look it up :) However, we *could* glue some dolls together foot to head, then *when* they take a tumble they could bend (at the waist) instead of breaking. :lol:

16. Melf

Maybe we can just get models to hold-up signs and walk around the table when gamers are needed- like a ring girl announcing what round it is at a fight.

17. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I love that idea! However, from the practical side, the models would get tied and no games would get played, because the model would go to empty table alpha, swarms of guys would abandon other games to be near the model, then she and maybe some reinforcements would have to run over to the newly needy table(s) and so on...It would be mayhem... :D

18. mark

mark Spellbinder

You'll need to form a search committee to handle this increase in human resources and operations. I would suggest ebaying three positions for the ocmmittee to offset the added personel costs. Let me know when to bid.

19. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

It's intriguing. But don't forget transportability, storability, weight, and durability considerations.

It would have to be something where 20-40 of them can be stored year round, flown/driven with, and yet they don't break easily.

20. Melf

I was thinking we would just hire them for a couple days, but I guess I could start a home for Gary Con Table Girls or something....

Oh you mean metal card holders, sorry.....