GC III--New Circvs Maximus format

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaskoid, Apr 13, 2010.

1. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Next year, there will be 2 heat races of two laps each, all run in light chariots.

Top four finishers Transfer to the Feature.

Two past Champions have Winner Exemptions that put them in Feature automatically. (Although if they choose to run in a heat they may; if they finish Top 4, they eliminate one racer in Feature.)

Referee (me) retains two Sponsor Exemptions that I may give to whomever I choose (the "cousin" of Lusciovs Maximvs probably being one; if Brooke shows up for GCIII from her sojourn in Scotland, I'll probably give her the other).

Feature will be three laps on the new Circvs oval I will have ready--thinking of running the heats with the regular game and saving the minis for the Feature. The track as published is out of proportion to the real deal; the straight should be much longer. My new track will be better proportioned (if I made it to scale, we would never finish a three-lap race). I will juice up the Endurance factors to allow for this.

The Feature will run teams very closely balanced to each other so that skill and racing luck will play more of a role in the outcome. I'm running the Heats with light chariots to discourage ramming attacks on each other; drivers need to focus on Transfer slots. Bloodshed can come in the Feature.

2. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Hmm. . . random thoughts ~

I learned some tricks/strategies from playing in CM that I applied successfully whilst driving my Porsche in Le Mans. And in that game I picked up some race/idea thingies that I think I could use in CM. So now, I'm getting some twitchy competitive itches to try CM again!!!

Man, racing is sheer fun - whatever horsepower that is being utilized!!

:cool:

3. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

BIG NEWS!!
    Not only is the format of the Byron Memorial Circvs Maximvs Chariot Race changing, so is the Circvs itself.

Soon after I joined TSR I met a person at a Battleline Games or Yaquinto booth that was either a designer or developer of the game. We had a nice short chat in which he admitted that the game did indeed bear a strong resemblance to the great chariot scene in Ben Hur. I congratulated him on such a successful simulation. I learned that the track was the length it was for two reasons: the size of the box it would be folded into and the fact that the track in Ben Hur would be classified a "short track" if chariot racing had their equivalent of NASCAR.

I have been looking at renderings of city plans of Rome in the heyday of the Circvs; it was more like Talladega. It was one looong track with two tight, uniform turns.

I have a new, custom made (by someone else to give to me, bless 'em) CM traack that we will be racing on that has 22 additional squares on each straight. I have not decided yet whether or not to fiddle with the Endurance Points; I rather lean to not; let them be husbanded more closely. The heats will still be run on the original; the long one will be for the Feature Race.

4. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Circvs Vpdate
    The two Sponsor Exemptions will go to the cousin of Luscious Maximus (last year's entry in the Smear 'Em Across the Sands art project) and to Eric Smith. Eric has raced in the event in past and has graciously consented to run the preliminary heats for me, as I have conflicts with other events. (It should be noted that this was not a quid pro quo; I just this AM decided that it would be the right and fair thing to do.)

Theat means that the two heats will each place their top four finishers into the finals; two Past Champions and two SE's round out the twelve cart field.

I have some custom 1" counters and the oversized, stock map for the two-lap heats. We will be using the minis and the brand new longer track for the three-lap Finals (1st time for that track anywhere).

Second Edition Rules (Available here: http://pbem.brainiac.com/circmax/ will be used. Rumor has it that another ridiculously large loving cup awaits this year's winner.

5. shalaban

shalaban Chevalier

Thanks Tim, I appreciate it! I had a blast last year, I came in third place! :shock:

But alas I have my DJMGRPG: Changeling- Zone 6 event slotted for 6PM SAT and it will last 6+hrs. Maybe I could get in on next year’s?

As for running the heats for you; I’m honored, thank you for the opportunity to be a noteworthy part of the 3rd annual Gary Con Byron Memorial Circvs Maximus race. :D (and if you need me to be cognitive concerning any race issues other than those stated above feel free to PM me)

Thanks again! :)

6. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I am sure we will have another great Race this year! I may even parcipate for longer than 15 minutes this time...

It is true that there is another Champion's Trophy. Master craftsman have labored over the past months and the Cup is being safeguarded in a secret location until Saturday night at Gary Con.

See you there!