GCIV: Who plans to stay through Sunday night?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bighara, Jul 12, 2011.

1. bighara

bighara Chevalier

I'm blocking off some time for next year and I saw the special rates for Sunday check out and stay over. I'm trying to decide if staying until Monday AM is worth it.

2. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Not me, but I think grodog and tacojohn did last year (and might this year).

3. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

I'll probably stay from Wednesday to Wednesday, have to check also Gianfranco's opinion but I'm almost sure he will agree to stay that long.

4. go0gleplex

go0gleplex Level 0 Character

If things pan out in the next couple months, the wife and I do plan on staying over sunday nt before flying out monday.

5. Dale

Dale Administrator

We actually negotiated with the Resort during our last meeting in Lake Geneva to give us a great Sunday night rate.

So, hope those who want to stay, game, and continue the shenanigans all the way through the weekend will be able to take advantage of it.

:D

6. go0gleplex

I called them up the other day and they had no clue what I was talking about when I asked them about GaryCon rates for the upcoming con.

7. bighara

bighara Chevalier

Wacky

Though, to be fair, it is a ways out yet.

8. go0gleplex

True. But I believe in planning early so I can make sure to save enough to pay for it all. :)

9. bighara

bighara Chevalier

Oh, I don't disagree. I'm was thinking of doing the same thing myself!

10. go0gleplex

Some other questions while planning the trip:

Trying to decide if it's worth it to rent a car or rely on the shuttle service from the airport. How are the roads about that time of year back there? Seldom ever have snow or what on 'em out here where I live.

If one relies on the shuttle service, how easy is it to get into town for some cheap food?

:mrgreen:

11. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

I rented a car last year. Locating the resort was easy and it was very convenient for going into town. The roads were fine. It snowed an inch or two one day, but the sun cooked it off by the next day. I wouldn't think twice about renting a car if I were you, based on my experiences, but maybe normally they get much more snow than that. I don't know.

Several of us used the shuttle service to get to dinner Saturday night. We let them know ahead of time and then told them how long we'd be. Didn't have any problems.

12. bighara

bighara Chevalier

I rented a car for GC3 and had no problems with the roads. I plan to rent one again for GC4, but I may try to coordinate with a friend who is flying in from MD as well. We and the wives may try to consolidate and rent one car for all of us this time.

13. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

Both year I went to the GaryCon I've found very useful to rent a car and share it when it has been possible.

14. tavis

tavis Footpad

I stayed over on Sunday night for the first time at GCIII and really enjoyed it - in addition to some relaxed hanging out and pickup gaming on Sunday, it gave me time to meet with Gail about the Gygax Memorial Fund on Monday morning and still have time to visit my old teacher Gene Wolfe in Carbondale on the way back to the Chicago airport. (Renting a car is something I've been doing all along, and is in the not necessary but very pleasant category.)

15. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

We're thinking about it just so I don't have to miss a whole day of the con just so I can go to work on Monday morning.

16. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

I'm local, so if enough people are staying, I'd love to hang out and play some more.

17. go0gleplex

Start a new job tomorrow so it's confirmed the wife and I will be in attendance for this event. :)

18. bighara

bighara Chevalier

Looking like we'll probably hang out until Monday AM, then! :D

19. blackmote

blackmote Footpad

my first GaryCon visit and this might be possible. :)

20. grodog

grodog Troubadour

I stayed through Monday morning this year since I was flying home, but Jon left after dinner Sunday evening, to get a head-start on the long drive back to Kansas.