Getting into VIP games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Buttmonkey, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Gary Con is one of the best cons for hobnobbing with TSR alums (along with North Texas and Gamehole). Unfortunately, the VIP games are so popular it can be difficult to get into the games. In recent years, some people have claimed they are not even going to attend Gary Con when they were unable to get into a specific VIP event of their choice. While I think that is kind of nuts (there are tons and tons of great events run by non-name brand GMs), I'd like to be somewhat helpful by pointing out these VIP folks don't just attend the Big Three plus Gen Con. If you really want to play with these legends, in addition to going to Gary Con (the best 4 days in gaming!), you should be checking out some of the smaller cons around the country. For example, Xenocon in Davenport, Iowa was this weekend. The VIP guests included Earl Rasmussen (creator of Top Secret) and Frank Mentzer. Only 2 people signed up for Earl's Friday night Top Secret game. Frank only had 5 spots filled in his. That is crazy! I would have jumped in, but I was running my own event. Both Earl and Frank had plenty of openings in their Saturday games, too. If getting into VIP events is your big thing for Gary Con, you should have been in Iowa this weekend. Gary Con is the highlight of the year for me, but there are lots of other cons worth checking out.

2. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Agree! There are several others that a handful or more TSR alums attend and run games at.

3. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Pssst... it's MERLE Rasmussen.

And his Top Secret games are the bomb.

4. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

D'oh!

5. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Hope so.

One of them at Gamehole sold out, but I'm in the other (And it's only half full! Join in, people!)