Grilling and chilling

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by red wizard, Apr 9, 2011.

1. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Hmm, the secret around our house is to buy a really good cut of beef and then cook it medium-rare. Delicious!

2. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

AFC/NFC Championship game day menu

Chili pepper hot wings with blue cheese yogurt dipping sauce

-A pound or two of chicken wings, tips removed
    -Peanut or corn oil for frying the wings
    -A stick of butter
    -2 cloves course chopped garlic
    -1 table spoon chili powder
    -1 teaspoon cumin
    -1 table spoon smoked paprika
    -1 teaspoon onion powder
    -1 cup all purpose flour
    -1 cup louisiana hot sauce
    -1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper

Coat wings in salt, pepper,spice mixture then dip in flour shaking off excess flour before placing in hot oil. Make sure oil is around 375 degrees. Once you see a bit of blood leaking out wait a few minutes more then remove and place on paper towels to let excess grease drain off.

For the hot sauce, quarter the stick of butter in a larger frying pan with the hot sauce and garlic and place cooked wings into the mixture once butter is thoroughly melted into the sauce, making sure to completely cover chicken.

Using a blender or food processor, mix blue cheese with yogurt (preferably Greek) to make dipping sauce, chilling it in fridge 30 minutes prior to use.

Then sit in front of the tube with your game on , a cold one in hand and enjoy!

[​IMG]

3. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Okay, a cheaper cut you can get great flavor out of on the grill, skirt steak. Rub it down in a crushed kiwi and some lime juice, a pinch of salt then stick it in a zip lock bag with a teaspoon of garlic powder and worcestershire sauce for about 24 hours. Grill that baby and enjoy the goodness. ;)

4. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Noted.

I've been experimenting with some pork loin recipes lately in the oven. One was great, the other (a variant of the first), just okay, I will post something if the third attempt comes out good and I have some faith that the results are reproducible.

5. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

If you are looking for indoor carnivore dishes try this one out.

1chuck roast or top round steak
    1 22ounce bottle of dark stout
    1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon of olive oil
    1 white onion chopped
    2 teaspoons salt
    1teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon cayanne pepper
    2 bay leaves

Taking a large and deep frying pan, or roasting pan (I use a large cast iron skillet) begin heating your oil. Next, coat the roast in the salt and both black and cayanne pepper then place the roast into your hot pan, browning both sides then remove the meat and place to the side. Next place onions in pan and cook in remaining oil, scraping the pan for the browned bits of remaining meat, cooking the onions until just translucent. Return meat to pan with onions, add beer and bay leaves, cover with aluminum foil and cook for roughly 4 hours at 225 in the oven or on simmer if on stove top (my preferred choice).

Remove when meat is fork tender. The beer will have reduced and thickened somewhat and the meat will practically fall apart. :)

6. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

So, what are you cooking up for the Superbowl this year?

I have around ten people coming over, mostly folk from my office and neighbors. I'm smoking a pork shoulder for pulled pork tacos, and will have beer brauts with kraut along with buffalo wings as well. I'll be getting up early, as usual, to start the process of smoking the pork so it is ready to shred a few hours before people start to show up, that way I can have it in the crock pot to keep it warm and the brauts boiling in the beer. The wings I'll deep fry then all I have to do is toss 'em around in a skillet with some louisianna sauce and butter or if people prefer teriyaki wings, I'll use the thick teriyaki sauce instead. That part takes only minutes and is ready to serve on a plate.

Every thing works out, I miss none of the game. ;)

Of course there will be the usual fare; potato chips, totilla chips, pita chips, salsa, humas, sour cream, 7-layer dip, and what-not. Oh, and liquor, lots of that. :cool:

Tell us how your Superbowl fare is lining up!

7. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Where does the Balsamic Vinegar go in? I added it with the beer & bay leaves.

8. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Oops, good catch Jedi, yup, the vinegar goes in with the beer. And don' be shy about adding some water during the braising if the liquid starts running too low. Rule of thumb, keep your liquid level about midway up the side of the roast when braising.

9. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

So the big game is tomorrow and with lots of workmates coming over to watch--as well as raid my fridge and liquor cabinet--I took the day off work to get a head start on smoking the pork shoulder and marinating the wings. Gonna fire up the "Monstrosity", my name for my hand-made smoker--my dad passed it down to me-- and throw on some charcoal then some split apple logs. Once I have her nice and hot at 225 degrees Farenheit, I'll put the pork butt in, having coated it generously in a rub made up of cumin, paprika, black pepper, sugar, garlic powder, salt and Old Bay.

After an hour or so, I'll wrap the pork in tin foil with a cup of apple cider and a half stick of butter to cook another 4 hours until it's around 160 degrees internal temperature. Now I know it should be around 190 degrees internal for pulled pork but I will be using a slow cooker to warm it up an hour or two tomorrow before the game, and it will finish reaching that temp then and thus not overcook. Thus leaving me, for once, free to watch the game instead of standing outside having to shout inside every time I hear people cheering or yelling at the TV. See, that's using my noggin. ;)

The Monstrosity!
    [​IMG]