Have to substitute a game!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by silas, Mar 6, 2010.

1. silas

silas Chevalier

I am scheduled to run SPI's John Carter Warlord of Mars first thing Friday morning, but I am going to substitute that game for a different one. Reasons:

a) The John Carter board game is going to take too long: recent play testing shows the game consistently running over 4 hours (up to 6 even)

b) Playability issues: the game uses 400 counters, most of them unique, leading to constant searching for the correct counter, and thus slowing the game. I don't have a good solution for it.

So I am going to run a different game that morning, likely a RPG. I am thinking either CoC or DC Universe.

John Carter might make an appearance at GenCon this year, where I can schedule a longer timeslot.

I'll let you guys know what other game I come up with in the next couple of days.

2. Ronin84

Ronin84 Level 0 Character

I think the shortest I ever remember playing that game, which btw was a very long time ago was something like 6 hours...but again I was but a wee lad then. CoC might be fun to play in...DC Universe seemed like it was going to be good as well, I even picked up the Godsend Agenda stuff at one point. Too bad I will only be there on Saturday, good luck Silas!!

3. silas

silas Chevalier

yeah, I think I got a little overly ambitious with this one.

Lots of people are going to want to get in Frank's game (and the others) that start in the very next time slot, and I don't want to hold people up. I always play test stuff before launching it at a convention, and this game just didn't operate well in a restricted time space. Same is true for the Avalon Hill Dune game--that takes at least 6 hours.

I could run

1. My "Assault on Karameikos" adventure from GenCon 2009: a Companion Set D&D adventure (if I can find it)
    2. A DC Universe game: rules light and lots of action
    3. A Call of Cthulhu adventure

If anyone has any ideas, let me know via the message board or PM

4. greywolf

greywolf Level 0 Character

I, myself, am hoping to get in one of Frank's games (my first D&D was the Red Box). But I understand that not everyone can play in Frank's game at 1 PM on Friday. Nonetheless, there are a bunch of great looking games at that time, so you, Silas, are thoughtful to consider that.

I am looking for something for Friday morning at 9 AM. I would think that any of the three games would find some players. My own preference would be #1, then #3, then #2. I have not played either of #2 or #3.

5. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I wouldn't mind some CoC but I'm not sure what I'll be doing Friday morning. I've kept that slot open so I can mill around and see what's going on. However, if everything seems pretty straight I might be able to jump into a game.

FWIW,

GP

6. francisca

francisca Troubadour

You might consider using Gamma World (1st edition, of course) and stat up some green martians, Thoats, etc.... then send the players to Mars as humans who are part of a "rescue team" searching for John Carter.