In Case You've Never Seen This

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by GeneWeigel, Jul 30, 2009.

1. GeneWeigel

GeneWeigel Footpad

I did something with Gary in 2001 to accompany these maps that I was doing of the City of Greyhawk on a website for a laugh thats actually the first time that I started talking to him was regarding the map that he saw on the website. He liked them a lot and when I showed him some that I didn't have on the web that were scribbled from his novels, he wanted me to "zoom in" and do more detail.

In the meantime we started talking about the Saint Trowbane god of the Gord novels and he told me that he was not Saint Cuthbert (as he had nodded to in the past) and that he was planned to be something else as a god who was "the Hammer of Unoerth" but it never happened. So based on Gary's story that he told me I steeped my brain in Greyhawk gods and ended up coming up with this character and Gary liked it a lot. Insisting that he have a mallet but otherwise he liked the rest. Then I did some pics and put it on the page. Some Greyhawk guy kept sending me e-mails about the maps being illegal or some crap so I eventually stopped making more and pulled down the site but "Trowbane" is still there if you want to check it out:

http://www.geocities.com/wildbillhackock/trowbane.html

At least he will still be there until Yahoo! shuts down Geocities October 2009.

2. ekimus

ekimus Footpad

:cool: Very cool. I just might have a new patron Saint. Thanks.

3. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Indeed! Very cool. I hope you don't mind, but I posted this over in the Dragonsfoot "Greyhawk" thread so those peeps could see this little gem you've created. I gave you full credit!

4. GeneWeigel

GeneWeigel Footpad

Heh! You're really barking up the wrong tree! Lets just say I have a bit of a history with that site and I eventually cut ties forever.

OUCH! If only he had chosen another site!

;)

5. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Hey, I really liked the stained glass window. That was a pretty interesting idea. Gave me some ideas for some props I could use in a game (if and when I get around to running one consistently.)

6. GeneWeigel

GeneWeigel Footpad

Gary was particularly fond of the fire wolverine. ;)

7. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

That's a shame. What happened, if I might ask? I have run into a few jacka$$e$ there but unless I am seriously harrassed I just ignore them. But I have gone apesh!t on one person for his obnoxiousness. It's all good now!

8. GeneWeigel

GeneWeigel Footpad

There is no room for the mentality of the SORCEROR'S SCROLL (which is what I'm into) so along with a lot of details about them lauding a person or persons (who I won't mention here) I told them to delete everything related to me. But I think my posts are still there from the beginning of the site.

9. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I see. I'm not sure what the Sorcerer's Scroll is but I guess it offended some grognards or something. Seems silly. I know DF is about OD&D, 1st Ed, 2nd Ed, Hackmaster, and C&C, but they do get a little anal over there. I mean come on, if you can talk about C&C (which is a D20 game...) why not 3.5? Oh well...

10. GeneWeigel

GeneWeigel Footpad

Gary Gygax gave official addons for AD&D in an article in DRAGON magazine called THE SORCEROR'S SCROLL and the rest of the magazine was taken with a grain of salt. Lorraine Williams threw the shaker in the garbage can.

I'm no "grognard" either... heh, I wouldn't be caught dead playing a Napoleon era game! ;) Seriously, I know that term has been adopted to represent some form of post-modern nostalgia fan from tan older term for wargame miniatures enthusiast from a war term for Napoleon's soldiers but I haven't dredged up anything that hasn't been on my shelf constantly since 1981 so I don't think that I qualify as an enthusiast of the old but I do qualify as a chopper of the mold! ;)

11. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Ack! How can one man be so stupid. I do, in fact, know what the Sorcerer's Scroll is. I, for some reason, just didn't recognize the name the other day... I have mined it myself and am a fan of the old column. I managed to snag about 75% of the print issues of Dragon beginning with issue #9 throught the end of the 3.5 issues for $100 on Craigslist. What a bargain! Most were in good condition and I even had several early issue duplicates (which financed a goodly portion of my AD&D collection, I might add). The wife off the guy selling the stuff answerd the phone when I called about the advertisement and said I could come over on my lunch break to pick them up. When I got there, she was wearing very alluring clothing and wondered aloud why people (i'm guessing her husband) was more interested in D&D than sex. She was kinda good looking, but very bizarre, so I beat feet out of there with my Dragon Magazines. I coulda gotten into a lot of trouble...

12. amalric

amalric Level 0 Character

That's when you say, "Beats me - this stuff is for my brother!"

;)

13. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Hehheheh! Good answer :lol:

14. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Of course, that's the Man answer. But I was newly married again and not interested in getting the boot from wife number 2! Ever been on the receiving end of an angry Succubus' claw/claw/bite attack? :lol:

15. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Hey, for some of us that sounds like fun!

<seriously, props to ya' friend for resisting the temptation.>

16. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I understand perfectly, but I have to keep up my macho-heroic persona online :lol:

17. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Thanks Geekpreacher!

I completely understand, Melf! I am one to "front" my Man-ness often, but really, I'm a softie on the inside. If you tell anyone, I'll give you a Cuban neck tie. :lol: