Interest in Planet of the Apes Events?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dndgeek, Nov 4, 2016.

1. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

With the final installment of the new series coming out in 2017 and in consideration of the 50th anniversary of the original Planet of the Apes movie coming up in 2018, I'm thinking of running a mini PotA marathon at GC X (2018) and am interested in your opinion. (I know it's a little premature, but I'm trying to get ahead of the game.)

There are too many movies to run one game per and several of the films (are stinkers and) aren’t conducive to a miniatures game, but I think I can cover the story pretty well with three events.

Rise of the Great Apes: covering events from Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971), Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011), Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972) and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) that are pertinent to a miniatures scenario

Great Ape Wars: covering events from Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973) and War of the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Planet of the Apes: covering events from Planet of the Apes (1968 & 2001) and Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)

Would any of these events interest you or do you hate damn, dirty apes?

My first thought was to run them in order of film release, but then I thought it would be more fun to do them in chronological order. What do you think?

And do you prefer a circular or linear timeline? (Click here for info)

Also, I’m thinking of using Bolt Action or Savage Worlds with custom ape rules for the game system, but I’m open to ideas.

-JmC

2. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Bolt Action would be interesting. Not sure how Chainmail or Book of War would work. Book of War is sort of a cleaned up/streamlined/simplified Chainmail. However, since firearms are involved Bolt Action really might be the way to go.

I doubt I have time for it, but it's an interesting idea.

3. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I'll definitely check it out, as my recent miniatures interest has been sparked by Gary Con Chainmail events that I've been trying for the past few years, and I'm a big fan of the simplicity.

EDIT: Interest level doesn't seem high. Maybe one event will do.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016