Jeff Dee, Jack Herman?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mordrin, Aug 31, 2010.

1. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Over on the Dead Games board, there was one post that suggested they were definite for GC3, but I haven't heard anything anywhere else.

Does anyone know if that's true?

I was thinking of running an introduction to Champions event, but if they're going to attend to promote Villians and Vigilantes 2.1, I don't want to step on any toes.

2. Dale

Dale Administrator

3. Rex

Rex Footpad

I'm bringing both my V+V 2.1 AND my HERO 6e and more....heh. One can't have to many Super Hero games. Great to see that those two got their game back and going again. If it weren't for stuff like V+V, Champions, and Traveller I would have fallen off the RPG hobby back in the 80's....

~Rex

4. mordrin

:oops:

Oops. Could have been more clearly put, I guess.

I know the Dead Games folks plan to be back.

I'm wondering if game designers Jeff Dee and Jack Herman (not affiliated with Dead Games - I'm just repeating something I saw on the DGS boards) are indeed coming to GC3 to promote their release of the updated Villians & Vigilantes (2.1).

5. mordrin

Since you sound like a buff, let me see if you know -

I still have my original Champions/HERO 2E from about 1982. Could you summarize how similar/different they are and the major changes?

6. Rex

Rex Footpad

You would be able to hop back and forth without to much of an issue......I've played Champions since C1 heh, though my c2 is in much better shape.....so I've been with the game through every version.

6e's biggest strengths are it's ease of use and teaching new folks. It's a Lot BIGER of a game now, but far better balanced, less prone to being munchkined, any genre any time anywhere....Many things are still recognizable and function the same way (Body/Stun that sort of theing, 3d6 bell curve granularity), but, a lot of things are gone...Figured Characteristics for one....In short, you can see the roots, but the Tree is different at the top.

I haven't had any problems adapting old material to the new rules or moving to playing older rule versions of the game after playing the newer stuff.....big world plenty of room for a lot of games out there. I really like this version of the rule set though, simple because it flushed out a lot of the abusable functions of the older rules sets, and incorpated all the various genre material under one (well two) covers, so you can Run Sci Fi games, without having to pick up the Sci Fi book, etc etc ....

It's basically, Bigger, Faster, Cleaner, less prone to abuse and more versatile. Has some nice options product wise, up to and including a stripped down version of the rules for people that just want to play but not spend that much cash. All good stuff.

Had it with me last Garycon.....garnered a lot of "ooohs and Ahhhs" :D

~Rex

7. Bill Willingham

Bill Willingham Level 0 Character

As of now, both Jeff Dee and Jack Herman hope to attend Gary Con III. I would upgrade that to "plan" to attend, but their day jobs and managing the big relaunch of V&V takes priority.

If all goes well with event registration, I will be running a marathon, all three days, session of Villains and Vigilantes wherein we'll attempt to cram an entire V&V campaign into one vast weekend. Jeff and Jack have both promised to participate if the event passes muster with the Gary Con III event wranglers.

8. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Well that sounds good to me- so you should be good to go. We will talk privately regarding event reg and your desires. Sounds like a great weekend for big V&V fans! Hope Jeff and jack can make it as well.

Luke

9. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Does this mean I can bring copies of Ironwood for you to sign? (Good to have the V&V guys aboard this crazy ship!)

10. Bill Willingham

You bet.

11. extsr

extsr Chevalier

Awesome stuff!

Howya been, Bill?

Frank Mentzer

12. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Sure hope Jeff can make it. He was easily my favorite TSR artist.

13. Bill Willingham

Hi, Frank,

It's been a while. I'm well. I've been pretty busy lately, which is good, all things considered.

I'm looking forward to the next Gary Con. I was out of the country during his funeral, therefore unable to attend, and only learned after the fact that the gaming afterwards had been formalized into an annual convention.

And now it's already a three-day thing? Well done, guys.

So I'll be seeing you in March.

How've you been?

14. extsr

extsr Chevalier

This is really most excellent. And Jeff too? Go team V !!!
    (Sorry, never got to know Jack)

I had a bakery for a decade.
    Getting back into publishing now.
    We'll get caught up at the con.

I supposed YOU've aged too. :/

F

15. ghul

ghul Chevalier

Hey, this is great news. Looking forward to meeting some of the men who created the visual images that are conjured by so many folks when they imagine "D&D."

Cheers,
    Jeff T.

16. Rex

Rex Footpad

Heh, that statement alone, made me pull the trigger on getting a new copy of V+V again, and I even dusted off the old notebook and made some calls to get the old V+V Mob to show up at Garycon this year.

Probably gonna end up with a dozen people sleeping on the floor of my apartment again but GC will be worth it especially if it's gonna be a big V+V weekend. :D

~Rex

17. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

Still working on trying to get Jim Holloway to come on up...

18. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Erol Otus would be cool to have too. I met him at Gen Con a few years back (got his signature AND Gary Gygax's on my copy of Vault of the Drow. I'd bronze that thing if I could). I always thought his art was very evocative. Of course, all of the art in those days was great for sparking the imagination. Today, it's just so.....gonzo and extreme. A lot of it is good, technically, but it lacks...that certain something.

19. Rex

Rex Footpad

It lacks......Jeff Dee Halflings.

~Rex....says Nothing beats up on a Jeff Dee Halfling.

20. wcw43921

wcw43921 Footpad

Now do you plan to have pre-generated characters for this, or will the first part of the marathon be you and the players generating all-new heroes on the spot?

You could also allow players to bring their own characters from their own campaigns, subject to your approval. That could be nifty as well.

This sounds like it could be epic. Good Luck with the design; even more Good Luck with the execution.