Just thought everyone should know about the venue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GenevaRidgeEmployee, Apr 11, 2013.

1. GenevaRidgeEmployee

GenevaRidgeEmployee Level 0 Character

Hey there everyone.....

As a Geneva Ridge employee, I just thought everyone here should know that while I'm sure the resort is happy to have the business, employees and more importantly managers openly mock, ridicule, and insult you guys as a whole, and some, on an individual level. Personally I like you guys, have never had any problems whatsoever, and my boyfriend is a gamer so perhaps I'm a bit biased, but I just thought everyone should know how the staff acts behind the scenes. Might want to check into finding a new place..... :(

2. tellion

tellion Footpad

Mock, ridicule, or general degradation of gamers? Next thing you know, they’ll be calling us all nerds… I appreciate your honesty, but I hardly think this is surprising. Disappointing yes, but certainly not a new revelation and by no means a reason to pack up and go. Most of us wouldn't have survived high school with that thin of skin. Now, if such sentiments were to be reflected in the level or service provided or the professionalism I have always experienced when dealing with the staff, that would be a different story altogether. But I would hope the management understands the financial benefit of keeping us happy and content. After all, I see no other enterprise filling up the resort in March. Of course, this is just the perspective of an annual attendee and not that of the convention organizers who may have an entire different perspective due to the nature of their relationship with the resort management.

3. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Honestly? I couldn't care less what they do behind the scenes. As long as I'm having a good time, it's fine. Gamers have put up with a lot and it's not going to change any time soon.

4. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Everyone I dealt with at the resort this year was great. I generally stopped giving a crap about what strangers think about me years ago. People can insult me all they want behind my back (of course, I'm sure they were only talking about everyone else, since I was the cool guy at the con).

5. welleran

welleran Footpad

But, but....my feelings are hurt!

:lol:

6. mabon5127

mabon5127 Level 0 Character

Seems par for the course for any type of convention. I would hate to paint everyone with the same brush based on a few. I had a great time and the staff did a great job. I don't think moving would make a bit of difference people will be people anywhere.

7. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

You should hear what the entire city of Indianapolis thinks about when GenCon rolls in...

8. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Well, it certainly would explain the service from the waitstaff my wife and I experienced (except from ONE server whose name I don't remember, but she was AWESOMELY attentive, chipper, and friendly every time we saw her).

Indianapolis is getting better. There are still some folks (and all the ones I know seem to be big Colts fans, natch) who call it "Geek Week", but there are more people than ever who look forward to Gen Con because we don't riot when our team loses, we don't murder people in the streets, and we pump a LOT of money into the local economy. Some people I know specifically go downtown to see the costumes. They don't understand it, but they think it's kinda cool.

They aren't so nice about Motor GP being in town though. Those motorcycles are noisy.

9. toddwo

toddwo Level 0 Character

As a paying customer, I'm disappointed that this happened, but I can't really say that I'm surprised. Nevertheless, I took the time to write a friendly note to GRR expressing my feelings. I encourage you all to do the same.

10. mark

mark Spellbinder

I haven't witnessed any behavior like that, so I don't feel right sending a note. If I had noticed anything like that I would have brought it to the attention of management at the time.

11. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I think Indy has been very friendly and accommodating - much more so than Milwaukee.

12. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

Meh. I've not heard of or encountered any such attitudes from any employees of The Lodge, and the only word I have that this happens is the anonymous posting of the OP. It smacks of "I heard from Susan who told Todd that Steph saw James telling Barbara..." etc.

And I challenge anyone who posts here to admit that they have NEVER spoke smack about any client/customer they've dealt with "behind closed doors." If you've worked in the service or retail industry, you HAVE had something unflattering to say about someone you've dealt with at some point. Doesn't excuse it if it happens, but let's not get on our high horse either.

13. Ligmancer

Ligmancer Level 0 Character

My somewhat unconventional take on bad mouthing, trash talking, passing judgement, etc., is this: The only thing we can never create more of is the time that we have. And we never know when our time will run out. So, whether I'm there or not, whether it's positive or negative, I appreciate the time people choose to spend on me, because they never get that time back, and what made me so important?

I had a great time at the two Gary Cons I've attended, love the venue and look forward to next year. Something this trivial doesn't affect that enjoyment at all. I don't have time to be offended, lets game instead! :)

14. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I didn't get that impression from the people I interacted with. In fact, some lamented our leaving because we were fun and generous. So if a few folks cracked jokes or whatever behind the scenes, so be it. Not a big deal.

15. crunchy

crunchy Level 0 Character

Ah well. Everyone with whom I dealt was friendly and professional. The front desk folks were nice, the servers were nice. I had a quick conversation with a custodian who asked about my stay. I thought having servers take orders at the gaming tables (including beer) was especially nice. If they poke fun at us behind closed doors, well, that doesn't bother me. A lot of us poke fun at ourselves and laugh at ourselves anyway. I mean, this is a pretty silly hobby. If you don't believe that, let me tell you about my seventh level paladin...

16. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

I'm surprised so many people who play D&D and have probably read tons of fantasy don't recognize a troll....

17. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

I'm good looking enough to handle such trifles. I may be a nerd, at least I am not a dweeb.

M.

18. bighara

bighara Chevalier

+1

19. I had zero problems with the staff. Hell a lot of them were wearing Gary Con t-shirts. One bartender says he was having no problems with us and that he had more trouble with wedding receptions. There was however one incident I heard of concerning a bartender that was going to close the bar down early and was very rude. The management was informed and dealt with the situation.

20. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I addressed the bartender situation with the hotel management and they squared it away immediately. The bartender said he was at his max hours for the week and was leaving at 8 on St Patrick's day. The hotel found a replacement and kept it open for us until midnight. They really worked to keep us happy and I appreciate the high level of service.

Luke