Kids in Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jim skach, Jan 26, 2013.

1. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

As has become tradition for us, my wife and kids will be joining me on Thursday night (they get to skip Friday!) for the convention. I'm getting ready for registration and I was just wondering if anyone has issues with kids (11 and 12) at the table. In the past, everyone has been wonderful...but I hate to put stress on the situation when people are there to have fun.

Issues? Thoughts? Concerns?

Thanks!

2. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

I've had kids in several of the games I've run, and there have been no issues. One thing to note, though, is that I always run early slots. Later in the evening, folks might not wish to dial things back for kids.

There is at least one young DM running an all kids D&D game (I can't recall just when).

3. MonsterMike

MonsterMike Level 0 Character

I love seeing the next generation of gamers at my table!

4. mark

mark Spellbinder

I'm sure they could handle the Sunday Naval Miniatures game I am running since I've seen them play such games before. :)

5. bighara

bighara Chevalier

Most of the games I've played in at past GCs have been no worse than PG (and that for violence). 11 and 12 should be fine, I'd think. The event I'm running has a few "Eww Gross!" moments in it (and some implied nooky in one case), but nothing overly nasty.

6. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

In all my games "kids" are PEOPLE too.
    Mama & I have always encouraged our own "broodlings" to become involved in gaming. Last July we bought our 8 year old Grandson a copy of Axis & Allies and he loves it! Santa brings games for all the Grandkids at Christmas. All our offspring know that this "Old Man" is a gaming fanatic. ( & the "Old Lady" ain't far behind.) I'll sit in the chair and talk about gaming for days. (In-between naps, of course.)
    Besides, Von Deekin always gets a smile on his face when some 12 year old shoots down a cocky, thirty-something, air-ace wannabe. ;)

7. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I think just about everyone welcomes young gamers to the table. Children are the future and all of that. I think its great that you are bringing the family Jim. I would recommend that you pick and choose the gaming atmosphere more carefully after 8PM. I think some games get a little more loud and boisterous at that point. Not all of course, but some so check out the area prior to letting run loose after 8 and I think everyone will have a good time.