Kolchak: The Night Stalker

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shalaban, Dec 23, 2010.

1. shalaban

shalaban Chevalier

I have been watching Kolchak: The Night Stalker (The series & first two movies Kolchak: The Night Stalker 1972 & Kolchak: The Night Strangler 1974) and it has been a blast! :D

It is an X-Files – like (to use nomenclature that the younger among us will get) type show with a keen minded journalist as its protagonist. Kolchak (like Doctor Who and some others) is often times a hero of circumstance via his curiosity and never carries a weapon. The acting is good and the dialogue is witty. The format is ‘monster of the week’.

The effects are 70’s but done well. (I prefer no CGI as much as possible as I feel (contrary to popular opinion) it looks hooky at best and is often times used as the focus of movies at the expense of more important elements of the story.)

I can totally see how & why Gary Gygax chose to make a journalist a viable vocation for an HP in Unhallowed. Every show is like a JM’s tool box for story hooks! :cool: I love it and highly recommend it!

2. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

The Night Stalker inspired Dad to include the rakshasa in the MM. Also the weakness to a blessed crossbow bolt, which is how the rakshasa was killed on the show.

3. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

That's really cool, Luke. I think it would be great if you'd share more stories like this one. I know you most likely don't have a lot of spare time but if you could give a rundown of certain monsters and how they came to be that would be interesting to quite a few of us.

Thanks,

Derek

4. shalaban

shalaban Chevalier

That’s cool to know Luke! :) It’s also cool to know that your father viewed the episodes as Ideal generators too! :cool: I’m just starting up a new DJMGRPG: Mythus campaign and I can foresee already that a jaunt or two will be made to the Unhallowed setting! ;)

Also Luke, I have heard that you helped your dad do some play-testing on DJMGRPG: Changeling, and as I am running an adventure of that system at GCIII, I was wondering if you could drop us a few lines of how that went. :) :?:

5. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Very cool!!

My brother loved this show and thanks to him I watched it a lot.

Darren McGavin was great in it.

Agree Shalaban . . love old/recent current effects in movies and TV.

Not a fan of CGI that much.

I've got to get this series.

Heh, right now I'm watching the 3rd season of Kung Fu ~ simply fabulous!!

:D

6. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

Great series!

Love it as a kid and now I can watch it with my kids cuz I bought the DVD set. :)
    You can't say that with a lot of shows these days!