Lejendary Adventure (1999/2005 - GG)

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by Totan, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Thread to discuss...
    -----------------

The Lejendary Rules for All Players (1999)
    Essentials by Gary Gygax - copyright 2004, release 2005?
    Essential Bestiary by Gary Gygax - copyright 2006, foreword 2003
    Essentials: Treasure by Gary Gygax - copyright 2006
    Essential Bestiary: Tables by Gary Gygax
    -------------

Own Essentials, have not read or played it yet. Maybe at GC2?

Edited to correct publish date per threads below. Later edited to add references that I could find.

2. null

null Level 0 Character

Re: Lejendary Adventures (2004)

I've heard enough hype to be interested in the system but never got a first hand review.

If you ever do get around to reading or playing the system, please post your thoughts and experiences.

I'm off to see if I can find some cheap copies now on ebay. If not, I'll try again in a month.

3. Benoist

Benoist Level 0 Character

I own the Premiere editions and the Essentials boxed set. I really, really like this game. It's simple, intuitive, and all around a great game that deserves much more scrutiny from the gaming community. Like with all of Gary's post-TSR games, it can be tough to "rewire" you mind to get the new terms intuitively (Avatar for "character", "Order" for "character class", that kind of thing), but once it's done it's a fabulous game in its own right. Highly recommended!

A note about the Essentials boxed set: I think it does a fantastic job as an introductory product to tabletop gaming. I would suggest it to introduce kids, in particular.

4. Greg Ellis

Greg Ellis Level 0 Character

2004 doesn't sound right.

1999 was date for "The Lejendary Rules for All Players", wasn't it?

Did anyone run LA at GC1?

I had an adventure all ready for you guys for LGGC, but saddly it will have to wait for another time.

5. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

Good question. I don't recall seeing anyone playing it, which is too bad.
    It is a fun game to play. Probably the hardest thing for me to do in the
    beginning is what Benoist mentioned, switching from one game style to
    another. Once you get passed the vocabulary change you're good to go!

6. Donal

Donal Administrator

Definitely 1999.

I remember because shortly thereafter, D&D 3rd edition was born and took off like a rocket, leaving all the little guys in the dust. :(

7. Greg Ellis

Re: Lejendary Adventures (1999)

We're all waiting eagerly to see how the new edition from Mongoose looks.

June of this year was the target, last I heard.

8. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Yes!

This is why Greg has to come to the next Gary CON!!

:mrgreen:

9. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Yeah Greg, come on down to WI next year. The weather was beautiful this year, I was in a t-shirt Friday walking on the lakefront! I would welcome a good Legend Master for sure.

Luke

10. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

Greg's still mad after we ran rough-shod all over his LA adventure at the last LGGC.
    Just kidding! It was alot of fun! I think one or two really big baddies thrown into the mix
    would have changed things a bit. ;)

11. rossik

rossik Footpad

hei guys, how easy is to adapt 1sd material do LA?

12. Greg Ellis

At an abstract level, adapting material from any game system to any other is fairly simple - you keep the themes, evirons, flavour of the baddies, any background plots that are going on, etc. and chuck out all the rest.

If you mean "coverting stats", well... that's different. I wouldn't advise it, when the target system is LA.

LA is significantly different from the level-based games that follow the D&D mold. A direct translation of stats is really not an option.

It would be far easier to cross out all of the D&D creatures and replace them with LA equivalents, dug out of one the LA monster books.

I've heard of people doing this - Blusponge ran Keep on the Borderlands, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure how it went.

13. rossik

rossik Footpad

oh, i see, thanks!

14. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

I recall Gary saying that introductory LA was on the level of 4 to 6 in AD&D terms. But as can be seen with the Hall of Many Panes situation, the translation to 3ed D&D didn't go over very well - some things seemed to get lost because of it. It definitely will change the overall flavor of game. Best just to write your own adventures in LA.

15. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

The Hall of Many Panes is a fun adventure! I had a blast playtesting it. I felt a little railroaded, but that was because he was playtesting it. I remember being intrigued and puzzled during the module. Really fun! I highly recommend it.

16. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

Yes...it...was!!! :D

17. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Re: Lejendary Adventure (1999/2005)

I added some of the date info that I could find to the original thread.

I don't have the 1999 book. Are the 1999 and 2005 works complimentary (was Essentials an expansion) or was the 2005 stuff a new edition?

18. deimos3428

deimos3428 Level 0 Character

19. falconer

falconer Level 0 Character

All I know is that Gary used the 1999 books till the day he died. He used them to run Living the Lejend for us, even though that module came out with the Essentials set.

20. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

Re: Lejendary Adventure (1999/2005)

I'm sure the newer version was just an updated printing fixing some typos and possibly adding a few things that were missed the first. The new Mongoose edition is supposedly a continuation of that. Has anyone heard any news on that??

So, if you have the 2005 version you're in pretty good shape! :)