Let's talk Chainmail miniatures rules

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WoodGrainBox, Oct 27, 2018.

1. WoodGrainBox

WoodGrainBox Level 0 Character

Have not played a good game of Chainmail since the 1970's. The group that intro'ed me to minis, slightly pre-ODD, used a somewhat modified Chainmail. They put figures on 1" bases, and only in recent years, since reading Peterson's _Playing At The World_ & following up on sources, that I found out that the presumption is a sand table where you just stick the un-based fig into the sand. So that explains a lot about frontages and mixing figure scales & overlap concepts.

I only find 2 threads about Chainmail, that seems very odd for such a fundamental part of the D&D experience.

2. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Even though GaryCon puts some effort into highlighting old games (see the Legends of Wargaming group), most gamers are playing something new these days. That being said, there are a good amount of Chainmail games run at GaryCon every year and many of them use a sand table. If you haven't been to GaryCon yet it's a great place to get your Chainmail fix, as there is usually at least one Chainmail game running at all times during the weekend.

I run an Eaters of the Dead game (based on the book and the 13th Warrior movie) that I designed to introduce people to the old TSR rules. Chainmail Man-to-Man rules are used for stage one, Chainmail rules are used for stage two and original edition Dungeons & Dragons rules are used for stage three. Check it out if you're attending and interested.

Zenopus and Poindexter like this.