Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poindexter, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

after i log in when i select the General Discussion or other options i frequently am logged out during the page load. it is becoming unbearable. even for this post it tells me i need to be logged in, when i just logged in to create this post!!!

2. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

Login sessions are based on cookies, so it sounds to me like you have a corrupt cookie record for this domain. I'd clear out your browser cache, including cookies, and try logging in again.

3. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

thanks. we'll see how it acts now.

4. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

I've been having the same problem for several weeks. I suspect this is why there have been so few posts lately.

5. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Same login issues as others are having.

6. mwisconsin

Hey all -- in the hopes that a mixed content issue was flummoxing up your ability to hold onto cookies, I've migrated the entire site to HTTPS. We should have been there long ago, anyway, but such is life.

So, hopefully that will clear some stuff up for you.

7. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

It's still messed up.

8. mwisconsin

Have you tried the clear-the-cache dance since I made the change? Clear cache, kill cookies, make sure your browser's up to date. If you've got a firewall that blocks cookies by default or a adblocker or cleaner that destroys or corrupts cookies, try white-listing garycon.com.

9. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Its working for me.

mwisconsin likes this.
  10. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

so far so good for me.

11. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

I'm still having problems and I've done everything I know how to do to clear cookies, etc. The problem isn't as bad as it was before, but it's still a problem.

Here's what I am seeing:

I can log in, go to General Discussion, and then open a thread without a problem. If I then click on the Forums link, I get logged out and taken back to the overall Forums page.

12. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Now that I made my last post, the problem seems to have gone away. Weird.

13. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

I'm still having problems with being logged out when I clicking through threads on the forums.

14. mwisconsin

Best I can suggest for you is to clear your cache, or check for firewall-related software (antivirus, windows firewall, etc) that may be occasionally identifying cookies from this site as being harmful and therefore deleting them. This site, like all sites on the internet, support Sessions by establishing cookies in your browser. If you can't hang on to them, then there's something removing them.

15. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

i don't know if this is related to the previous issue (which has been fixed for some time now) but i am experiencing a "time-out" effect that seems to happen quite frequently, that is to say after not much time being logged in. i don't know if anyone else is experiencing similar effects.

16. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I have not (Chrome)

17. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

I still have regular problems using the forums via Internet Explorer. I'm switching to Chrome to see if that improves things. So far, so good.

18. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

all of my experiences have been with my Safari browser on my iMac.

19. mwisconsin

I generally avoid Safari and IE for cookie and security issues wholesale.

Poindexter and The Josrian like this.