Looking for Thursday Night Game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greg, Mar 18, 2011.

1. a flannel shirt

a flannel shirt Footpad

I'd like to join that club. I love my wife and all, but she doesn't share my love of gaming.

2. iddig ap nil

iddig ap nil Level 0 Character

If it helps...she doesn't love it as much as I do... ;) I am pretty lucky though, the first Ex Mrs. ap Nil thought it was silly and was the one who wouldn't make plans on gaming night, then get bored sitting at home alone and call every 10 minutes "to talk"...So yeah, that was my big thing when I was shopping around again, was a gamery wife.

3. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Sounds like a good plan to me. I kinda liked the casual atmosphere of GaryCon I and the LGGCs.

4. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

This year's Thursday evening already felt like Day 0, to me. There were guys playing in the lobby and games in the bar after the pub (Yo, Aliens! /best Rocky voice)

Still, the more gaming, the merrier, so long as it doesn't require infrastructure that hurts the informal fun of Thursday afternoon/evening.

5. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

My wife's awesome as well. She likes to game......when she we can put the little one to sleep. But what made her and my mom-in-law awesome is that they both told me to go and have fun even though my mother-in-law had surgery that week. I hung around all day during the surgery and spent the next day checking on her before leaving out late Tuesday night.

I was ready to cancel this year but they both know how much I enjoy it. It's my hope that everyone will be able to come next year and join in the fun with me.

Oh, and I have to say that Day 0, for me, starts on Wednesday because that's when I get to Jolly's and hang out with him. Then on Thursday I head over to Lake Geneva and have joyous fun! Seems I can always find a game on Thursday. (i.e. During GC I we gamed at Jolly's in his gaming loft. Had lots of fun & then headed over to Geneva on Friday.)

6. francisca

francisca Troubadour

On the topic of gamer-friendly wives....

Here is a pseudo transcript of a conversation my wife told me she had at work recently.

So, about 8 months ago, my wife picked up a part-time job. She works
    in the paint/wall covering department at the local Menards a few
    nights a week and every other weekend. As you might guess, she deals
    with a staggering array of people and personalities.

One day last week, in stumbles an obvious basement dwelling,
    pasty-faced gamer (My wife has been to gamestores and GenCon, she
    knows them on sight, at 50 paces) along with his half-troll**
    girlfriend. Guy walks up to the paint desk, and my wife sees he is
    wearing a shirt with a d20 on it.

Wife: Hey, like the shirt!
    Mr. Pasty-face: Uh......you like my....shirt?
    Wife: rolled a natural 20!
    Mr. Pasty-face: you know about gaming?
    1/2-troll GF: <heavy sigh>
    Mr. Pasty-face: <confused>
    Wife: Yeah! I just got back from GaryCon, actually.
    Mr. Pasty-face: THERE IS NO GAME CONVENTION IN GARY, INDIANA!!! DUH!
    Wife: <"really?" expression>
    Mr. Pasty-face: <blank stare>
    Verdandi: No, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. You know, where Gary Gygax is from.
    Mr. Pasty-face: <confused>
    Wife: The guy who created D&D? Lake Geneva is where GenCon started.
    Get it? GenCon?
    Mr. Pasty-face: <confused shrug>
    Wife: <shoots him a "talk to the hand" expression w/out actually
    raising her hand>
    1/2-troll GF: <heavy sigh> <txt txt txt txt>
    Wife: so what can I help you with?

**: that would be "half-troll" in temperment and attitude

7. Dale

Dale Administrator

THis will not happen. Day 0 will be the same- we will have some rooms opened up for your gaming pleasure as we set up for the convention. There will not be any "official" scheduled games- just board games, pickup games, and games scheduled by you- our dedicated peeps.

And, Next Door Pub (NDP) at 5 pm (ish) for pizza, beverages, and conversation.

8. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Sounds good, man. You guys do a fine job - I trust you.

9. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Thursday needs to stay unstructured so that Dale, Chris, James, Dreb and Brendan can safely sit down, relax and enjoy a game. Gary Con wouldn't be the same without these great Americans volunteering their efforts. Thank you guys!