Luke, what pays the bills?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Druvas, Jun 18, 2009.

1. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

:oops: :) thanks.
    I'm just the one in charge of a laboratory where the FDG is produced.

2. clangador

clangador Footpad

I take care of other people's problems.

3. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Ah, an assassin...

4. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

He's just saying he might know a guy who knows a guy, but he knows a guy.

5. caalas

caalas Level 0 Character

For income I'm an AVP of IT for a large investment firm in Chicago. Though I'm trying to move to the northern part of Georgia if anyone has has a lead on an opening down there.

My degree is in Pastoral studies with a minor in Education and i was a licensed Minister with the Assemblies of God. (My father is a retired AoG minister and Theology Professor). So there seems to be a larger contingent Christian Ministers on this forum then you would ever guess from reading a Chick Track.

6. tavis

tavis Footpad

It's a small world, or at least there are lots of connections if you look for them!

Luca, I used to be a neuroscience graduate student at UCLA interested in brain imaging - I didn't do FDG PET because of a political split in their neuroimaging community (I was on the fMRI side) but I sure read a lot of research that was probably done using isotopes you made. The one useful skill I got from this Traveller lifepath was how to seek funding, which is what I do for my day job now at Mt. Sinai's Department of Emergency Medicine.

Maj. Bill, in 2004 I formed a tiny RPG publishing company with a friend who'd recently been ABN Infantry in the 82nd, Sgt. Brian Stith. He was only in for four years and I don't think your dates overlapped, but I do know he introduced a lot of guys to roleplaying games while they were deployed in Kosovo.

My minister connection is the most tenuous - I interviewed geekpreacher for a post at GeekDad.

7. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

Oh wow, two themes going in this thread that I can relate to:

I met Luke at the Combined Logistics Captains Career Course at Ft. Lee after being forcibly reassigned away from the 173rd in Europe. Thankfully my follow-on assignment had me pounding sand as a combat advisor attached to the 82nd in East Baghdad/Sadr City, so I never had to play desk jockey ;)

That experience, however, was enough to convince me that I needed (for the sake of everyone who loves me) to find a new, less deadly, less soul-destroying line of work. I am very proud of my service and miss the Army every day, but I do not regret leaving.

I've been a civilian for a little over a year now living and working in the SF Bay Area for Novartis. You may know them better as "The Umbrella Corporation" from the Resident Evil series. A large, sinister multnational biotech company with an underground infectious disease research center right here in the middle of a huge city. And you thought Racoon City was a stan-in for Miluwakee...

Working in Global Supply Chain management, I know that our Oncology division purchases FDG from IBA, so thanks Luca!

8. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

Oh! Great to know that!
    A colleague of mine worked there for about a couple of years, in Romeoville.
    I had a job proposal from there but I'm unable to leave Italy, too hard to leave my family, at the moment it's 4h by car from my mother's home, leave to start a new life in Illinois will bring me 12h by plane (and 50 times the price) from Milan... no way...

Tavis: have you ever heard of Fluo-beta-ben? Or similar. It's for Alzheimer.

9. extsr

extsr Chevalier

I crush my enemies, see them driven* before me, and hear the lamentation of their women.

* most often in a hybrid, these days

10. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

11. clangador

clangador Footpad

Yes, just made 15th level. Hope to retire soon. :twisted:

12. clangador

clangador Footpad

I knew some day someone would post something that would call upon this youtube link.

Conan the Barbarian: The Musical

13. welleran

welleran Footpad

I'm retired Navy and now I work for Army Headquarters in the Pentagon -- guess that means Luke works for me!

14. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Ha, only late seeing and answering this by about 8 months, sorry Mordrin. To answer your question though, I'm in the Mount Prospect Ops building. As for statiticians, not real sure.

Now wasn't that worth the wait... ;)

15. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

:eek:

16. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

That's Luke's "Owned Face." It's like an "Oh Face," but the pleasure is all someone else's. ;)

17. welleran

welleran Footpad

Fear not -- I am a benevolent overlord!

18. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

You know, when it comes down to it, those are really the best kinds of overlords.
    I, too, sometimes enjoy the inner warmth of assuring someone that I use my powers for good.
    Albeit, "overlord" mightn't be as fitting a title for me, presently.
    I'm not far off the mark though - I've thus far deduced that if it weren't for finances, physics, and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
    :ugeek: