Making 1st con garycon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blackthicket, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Blackthicket

Blackthicket Level 0 Character

I've been playing 1e D&D for a long time...interested in attending garycon to try out other games. Are there beginner games? Are "noobs" willingly accepted at a table? What should I expect? Many thanks!

2. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Greetings BT

GaryCon's a great place to try unfamiliar systems!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=946&p=11614#p11614
    (a list from 2012)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=995
    I'm not sure if 2013 utilized an experience required field (I see it in my onsite program, but not the spreadsheet I copied from online :| ), but the rest of the thread still goes - very, very few events expect system proficiency.

3. Blackthicket

Great....thanks for the info. and thread links!

4. ThrashLibrarian

ThrashLibrarian Level 0 Character

Last year was my first Gary Con (and only my second time traveling out of town for a con). I played Gamma World (2e), Hollow Earth Expedition, & AD&D, (O)D&D, plus a whole bunch of stuff I had limited experience with -- Empire of the Petal Throne (first time playing), Castles & Crusades (twice, second & third time playing), Hackmaster Advanced (first time with the advanced rules), Marvel Super Heroes (first time), Dungeon Crawl Classics (I had run it once, but never played).

From very GM was great about telling players what to roll when a mechanical bit came up

5. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

My CyberPunk 2020 game is always open to new players. Characters are provided and it's... colorful. This year, more devastating than last, assuredly. And not going to run against the auction again.

6. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Jeffery St. Clair offers great games that are relaxed and novice friendly. I had a fun time with his Early Bird D&D back in March 2011. I would PM him and see what he's up to this year, because I think he runs non-D&D as well.

7. Dale

Dale Administrator

The trick to Gary Con is come out to have fun, make friends, and enjoy the festivities.

See you in March!

Dale

8. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

Thanks much for the nod, Chainsaw (who is a great guy to game with, BTW). My Early Bird games are pretty low-key because, after all, it's 8:00 a.m.! This year I'll be running Early Bird AD&D, Star Frontiers, and Mazes and Minotaurs, and I don't expect everyone playing to know the system - especially Mazes and Minotaurs, but I like it!

9. Blackthicket

Okay...sounds like getting in a game will not be a problem. Here's another question - what should I bring along... dice? DMG, etc? something else?
    Thanks again all.

10. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

Dice, pens or pencils, and any player's handbooks you might have for the games you want to play. Unless you plan to run games, don't worry about bringing DM materials.** Most DMs will have you covered. The lighter you travel, the better.

Also, make sure you have access to cash - the auction and silent auctions have cool stuff to bid on, the dealer room has much cool stuff as well, and you'll need money for food unless you plan on brown-bagging it all weekend.

**Of course, if you're bringing DM stuff to have it signed by the VIPs, ignore that sentence. :cool:

11. Fuesar

Fuesar Footpad

This will be our 3rd Gary Con and all I can say is it's the most welcoming Con in the universe!

I'd say even if you didn't bring a thing you'd find your fellow gamers would be more than happy to help you, borrowing dice and pencils, etc. Just cast "attitude of fun" on yourself before you come and you'll have no problems. No save.

12. OGRE MAGE

OGRE MAGE Footpad

Attitude of fun spell? That's good stuff! I hope that's a low level spell. :)

Great thread btw! Big help for all us noobs.