Moving in June....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by geekpreacher, Apr 8, 2010.

1. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'll be moving in June. So, if there's anyone I spoke to and said I may be at Origins this year I'm sorry but I can't make it. Our "moving week" is the same week as Origins and there's just no way I can swing it.

Since I'll be serving new churches, it's doubtful I'll make it to GenCon so I'll have to wait until next GaryCon before I see some of you. I'll miss being involved in some panels and the worship service at GenCon but this just makes me look forward to next years GaryCon that much more!

One good gaming note about moving is that I'll now be about 15-20 miles away from my FLGS. Currently, I'm about 45 miles away so it makes getting over there pretty difficult but it looks like things will change after this summer. So, lots of gaming goodness may be on the horizon.

Plus, the churches I'll be serving seem to have very large youth groups. I'm thinking that down the road I may try and introduce a family game night. If so, I'll probably ask for some good boardgame ideas for people that may not game that much. In fact, feel free to throw some ideas in this thread anyway!

2. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Hey G.P., maybe you'll be able to start out (small) with a quarterly fund raiser & turn it into a family game nite. Sort of what Gaming Hoopla has done up here in Wisconsin. They started out with the Spring & Fall Hoopla's, & now the group is gaming every other sunday afternoon.
    If we lived a little closer I'd be more than happy to run 'Von Deekin's Wings of War' for the cause, or just about any other game from my growing gaming closet. As you ponder this idea more just let me know & I'll throw some gaming ideas out your way.
    Hope the move goes well. Good luck in the new location. :D

The Keeper

3. diaglo

diaglo Chevalier

Good luck with the new digs.

Things in a Box is a nice family game or can be if you aren't a dirty minded old codger.
    Apples to Apples can be a nice ice breaker too.

4. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Good luck with the move, and I hope your new church is good to you!

5. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Best of luck with the move and I am glad you will be at GC III!

I think Ticket To Ride is an easy and fun game to introduce to families and young people. A loud and chaotic game that is tons of fun is Pit! Also Settlers of Cataan and perhaps San Juan or Puerto Rico. Once they are hooked throw in some Dragon Lairds and Rail Baron!

6. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Heh, I still wanna play some more Pit, 'specially since I was winning when we played. :D

7. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I've never played Ticket to Ride but have heard it is a blast. Thanks for reminding me about Cataan as I've good experiences with it on church game nights when I've been able to have them in the past. It was actually an awesome experience.....we were attending a church that decided to have a game night so all the older people brought cards, dominoes and the like....not a board game to be found.

I broke out Cataan and before you knew it I had the table filled with teenage girls and the youth leader! They were awesome players and did a wonderful job. It was simply amazing to see how they jumped right in and enjoyed it. It was especially fun to see the haggling and the trading.

I think Jolly introduced me to Rail Baron a few years back. It was a load of fun and I had a great time with it. My daughter has been enjoying Carcassone so I'm also thinking about throwing that into the mix if I can get enough people to help run the games.

8. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Good luck with the move, gp!

I played Tickets at GCII and had a blast.

Dragon Lairds is a fantastic game . . I had the good fortune to play this with Gary, Tom and Jim ~ what an experience!

But I've yet to play Settlers or Carcassone and hope to do so next year.

:)