MUSIC

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shalaban, Apr 17, 2009.

1. shalaban

shalaban Chevalier

So what kind of music is everyone into? More importantly what (if anything) does everyone listen to when gaming?

Sound effects?

I generally have movie/T.V. soundtracks music playing low in the background while running a game.

Also while on the subject is anyone a musician of any sort?

I myself play piano and record with a Roland Fantom Xa, ACID 7.0 Pro, Sound Forge 6, and an extensive library of sounds on the PC that are always being added too. :) So far I have accumulated 52 songs since 1998. :idea:

2. Dale

Dale Administrator

I had a gaming group that when it came time for battle it was time to put on Metallica "Black" or Led Zeppelin "Runes."

Great battle music! And the party usually fared better when the music was playing. Strange I know. But true.

3. GeneWeigel

GeneWeigel Footpad

Mostly, soundtracks from action movies.

If its more of a party then throw on some party music, etc.

Folk music that has balls to it (otherwise forget it! ;) ).

Rock is hard because if it turns into a pile of guitar wails or drum solos it throws everybody off so it pays to be selective in this regard.

4. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

Radio Rivendell has some cool stuff on it. If you have hi-speed and just let it run in the background, though, their mix might not match what's happening at the table. When it does though, we turn up the battle music!

5. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I LOVE to listen to the sounds of 'Blue Clam Cult', "Don't Fear the Keeper or 'Stealing, Damn's', "Deekin Boos". or "Sobs & Whimpers of My Opponents, by the "MR. T" band, or "I Feel for You" by 'Itssa Khan' or................... :roll: .................. :lol: (I CRACK ME UP!)

6. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Very punny Deek!

7. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I try. I try. :)

8. falconer

falconer Level 0 Character

9. falconer

I got my Bachelor of Music degree from San Francisco Conservatory of Music, as a Voice major (i.e. Opera). Currently my wife sings full-time with the Lyric Opera of Chicago. I mostly work in the field of Russian Orthodox Church singing.

10. shalaban

shalaban Chevalier

Wow!! Impressive on both accounts!

I imagine one cannot find Russian Orthodox Church singing on CD just anywhere. :?: How did you come by your interest in that? :arrow:

Doing the DJMGRPG we have a mix of musical genres that we listen to as well. Below is a partial list of what I and my Players generally listen to when we game:
    Beauty in the Beast
    Ben-Hur
    The Celts
    The Chronicle of the Black Sword
    The Entropy Tango & Gloriana Demo Sessions
    Fighting the World
    Hamlet
    Hologram Rosebudd
    It Is the Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous
    The Mummy
    The New Worlds Fair (ReMastered) a.k.a. Roller Coaster Holiday
    Pattern Fall
    Shadow: Hed Session
    The Shape of the Universe
    Sign of the Hammer
    Sonority: St. Jacob’s Swedish Chamber Choir
    The Transformed Man
    Warrior on the Edge of Time
    Watermark
    Alien (all Movies)
    Amok Time
    Blade Runner
    Clockwork Orange
    Conan the Barbarian
    Damnation Alley
    Dracula
    Dune
    Forbidden Planet
    Gladiator (And the extra album ‘More music from the motion picture Gladiator’)
    Lawrance of Arabia
    Logopolis
    Nature’s Drums
    Planet of the Apes
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Red Sonja
    Shore Leave
    Signs
    Space 1999
    Descent Psychosis
    Star Trek (all movies and TV)
    Switched on Bach
    AON: The Ambient Collection
    The Best of Babylon 5
    The Cage
    The Dark Knight
    The Doomsday Machine
    TLotR (All newer ones.)
    The Naked Time
    The Passion of the Christ
    The Seduction of Claude Debussy
    The Ten Commandments (ReMastered)
    The Terminator
    The Twilight Zone
    The Well-Tempered Synthesizer
    Songs in the key of X
    TRON
    Where no man has Gone Before
    Wish You Were Here

11. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I tried the music thing a couple of times and had more than one person ask to turn it off. So, off it went and it never came back. I've played in games where it's been played and I don't have an issue with it. These days I doubt you could even hear the music with 10 guys at the table all vying for their share of the night.

I heard Melf was into Don Cornelius. I wonder if Soul Train was on a tv in the background a lot?

12. falconer

Well... I am Orthodox. And we sing the Russian-style music in church. Not all that strange, really! (Also, you CAN find recordings.)

13. shalaban

shalaban Chevalier

Well then I shall have to seek out some as it sounds like something I would like to have in my collection. :)

14. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I know an Orthodox monk from some online interaction and he sent me a CD but, unfortunately, it wasn't in English so it was a bit difficult for me to follow.

BTW, I'm actually thinking of taking a guided study on Orthodox church history since that is an area that's very lacking at my seminary.

15. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Soul Train was a favorite show for my older sister Elise. I did actually meet Don Cornelius in 1984 at the D&D Entertainment Office/ Our house. He was a pretty cool guy- I can't remember why he was up there. Probably as a producer interesting in doing a D&D game show or something. I remember he was deathly afraid of the python Matt (the maintenance guy) kept as a pet.

As far as music goes, I don't play any while gaming. It is mostly a distractor for me.

Luke

16. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

"The Souuuuuuuul Traaaaiiiin!" I remember my Mom was a big fan of that when I was a kid. I was pretty young but I remember wondering why people liked to watch other people dance on TV. Seemed strange to me. Especially when they could be watching Star Blazers!

As for music while gaming, nahhh. An old group I was in experimented with the Conan soundtracks but it really was just a distraction because we all kept commenting on the music instead of the game.

17. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Just found my copies of the first Dragonlance series of books on cassette!!! Gawd was I thrilled, until I realized I don't own a cassette player anymore!! DAMN CD's!!! Maybe I'll bring them to GC2, if anyones' interrested?

18. shalaban

shalaban Chevalier

For anyone who cares and for those I have not already virtually accosted, this is (some of) my music-

http://soundcloud.com/search?q%5Bfulltext%5D=Shalaban

I sometimes throw it into the playlist when we play Changeling, Gamma World, Star Drive, or Eclipse Phase. :cool:

WOW! :!: This is my 100th post! :cool: Now I need to celebrate! :D

19. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Silence! That is my preferred background sound for gaming. I prefer a lack of competition for people's hearing and attention (conscious or sub-conscious).

20. Dale

Dale Administrator

We usually have background music on. When it's time for combat- the CD is switched out by the players for "Battle music."

Good times...