Musings on a move

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by bloodymage, Nov 15, 2011.

1. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Promised I wouldn't do it again, but I feel trapped once again in this giant house of mine in the middle of nowhere (well, not exactly; I live on a dead end street with four immediate neighbors all older and seemingly more capable than I). My faculties are returning, but I'm so far behind the eight ball, that I don't really have a prayer of catching up. I moved here for peace and quiet and it's not bad except for some bozo around the corner who plays his redneck "feel good" music so all can hear, especially at night. Kind of the same situation I had in Cottonwood. I have an awesome gaming room that's sitting pretty much useless at the moment because there just aren't any gamers around. I finally got a couple or three who might be interested and we're meeting on the 4th of December, but I don't have much hope of forming a group though I'll finally be able to meet some like-minded friends. I carry a gun everywhere because I'm terrified of the world.

I just can't do the things I used to do and I don't know how to slow down. So, here I am, once more, musing about a place w/o a lot of traffic, quiet, but close to gamers and gaming. That, to me, spells the Midwest somewhere, but I've already made three "this is it" moves and moving has become highly stressful to a man alone with too much crap, especially on a fixed income with no savings and mediocre credit.So, I'm musing here again, contemplating torturing myself yet again in an attempt to find my paradise. Any fuel for my musings, or even places available.

2. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

My hasty 2 cents... Life is full of trade offs. Go rural for some space and lower cost of living and its harder to find like-minded people reasonably close. Go more urban and there might be more like-minded folks, but a lot more people in general (good, annoying, and bad). There is no utopia, so you just need to figure out a balance that will work better for you or come to terms with your current situation. On your speed and health, maybe there are some lifestyle changes that will help with that with some persistence...

Take care, relax, see you at Gary Con.

3. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

My best wishes!

4. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Well, I'm at it again. My business is floundering a bit because I'm having a tough time attracting talent and I've definitely decided I need to get out of this place. Mclaird on the KenzerCo boards suggested going to GaryCon and just not going back! Tempting but not likely practical unless I have somewhere to land. I used to be a great learner and a great researcher but these days my Googlefu sucks so I'm not sure where to start. Guess I'll do some more computer cluttering!

5. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Oh boy! Registration starts on the 16th!

6. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

I've decided I can't live in this desert anymore and I'll be looking for a place that's removed from civilization but close to gaming (does such a place exist?). Anyway, I've about spent my extra was for this month but by March I should be fairly solvent as long as I can quit buying toys. Y'all out in the Midwest, please keep your eyes peeled for places to rent w/ enough room for a gaming room but a place that's quiet. These Mormons are driving me nuts here. Wisconsin was damned purty, but I'm not too keen on dealing w/ snow. I had good experiences in Iowa in 2006. That's about the extent of my druthers. I might mention that Missouri is also beautiful but that might be a bit too redneck for me (used to be one, but no more, can't afford it).

:ugeek:

7. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I'll be honest with you, I've considered not returning to CT every single time I've been back out to Lake Geneva. Lack of job opportunities keep it from happening, otherwise I'd settle there with no issues at all.

8. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Looked at places in Wisconsin, Iowa and Missouri and you eastern folks just live too close together. I've made inquiries into a mountain lodge in Prescott AZ.

9. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Found a place in Prescott in the hills. Nice place and not so much to take care of. I'll be in town on the 16th and I'm hoping to see it then. They want a drive-by and a subsequent appointment but I'm an hour away so I hope they'll open it up on that date for me. Pray for me and wish me luck.