My Dog

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Druvas, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

She had to be put to sleep today. :cry: What a crappy day. She was 12 years old and lost the ability to walk last night. She had been sick for a while now, but things just came to a head this morning... My family is missing a member... :( :cry:

2. mark

mark Spellbinder

My condolences.

3. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Man, I'm so very sorry. I'll keep you guys in our thoughts.

Blessings,

GP

4. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Thanks guys. My wife rescued her 10 years ago out in Colorado. She was rejected by a series of owners and scheduled to be put to sleep before my wife really found and bonded with her. It feels particularly painful to have had to put her to sleep yesterday. I'm very sad about it but my wife is doubly so. I spent 4 hours at the vet clinic brushing her (the dog) and and petting her, waiting for my wife to find a substitute teacher to backfill her. The Vets were so awesome and helped us make a decision. We feel a bit guilty as they did say we could try another round of medication or even surgery, but that even with medication it would only extend her life by a few weeks to a couple of months at best, and she would not likely survive surgery. We held her through the process until she passed away and then went home to spend the rest of the day crying. :cry: It's so weird because I have never had a pet that I was so attached to. I've loved all my dogs, but my childhood one "ran away" or so my parents told me. And the ex-wife took our two Beagles. This one wasn't even mine to begin with but she was such a great chocolate lab. She would never attack someone but she was an excellent guard dog and so gentle when we had our daughter. What really freaks me out a bit is that she never showed any interest in her own image, be it picture or reflection. All she could do yesterday at the Vet was stare at herself in the semi-reflection of the stainless steel table.

5. Dale

Dale Administrator

That sucks, but he had a good life with you.

Better than what he would have had elsewhere.

6. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Our most sincere regrets for your loss. Being animal lovers, Mama & I understand how you both are feeling. :cry:

7. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Thanks fellas. I just took my wife out to her favorite Thai place for dinner. That always cheers her up a bit.

She was a great dog and will be sorely missed. But, we are no strangers to losing family members, and we will move on with our own lives soon enough. I think cultures that observe a mourning period are on to something about human nature. It seems strange to me to feel so strongly about a dog, but I guess that's what made her so special.

Anyway, thanks again for all the kind words.