My GaryCON/Arneson tribute game

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by Rhuvein, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

My gaming group is scheduled to meet this Saturday.

So, since I never got a chance to run my GaryCON memorial game last year, I plan to run a short dungeon crawl - most likely the first level of the Castle Greyhawk ruins as I remember it from Gary's game.

Otherwise, I might the run the sample dungeon from the BD&D Holmes rulebook.

But I'm thinking that I'll probably use only the OD&D booklets for this special game.

If the players enjoy it, then next time we may either continue into CZ UW or perhaps do something in Blackmoor (Temple of the Frog).

:)

2. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

That sounds like a fitting gesture for the recently departed Mr Arneson. Unfortunately, I do not remember much about him. I was very young when my Dad and he parted ways.

3. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Okay, now you've got me curious. How old are you anyway? (If you don't mind answering.)

Just for full disclosure, I'll be turning 39 this July.

4. falconer

falconer Level 0 Character

I have run the Holmes dungeon with the OD&D 3LBBs. It worked great!

As far as Arneson’s published dungeons, I’ve got:

1) Temple of the Frog (in Supplement II)
    2) Castle Blackmoor (in First Fantasy Campaign)
    3) Haunted Lighthouse

So I think I’m only missing The Garbage Pits of Despair. (There’s also City of the Gods, but I’m not sure the published version has any actual Arneson content.)

I wasn’t blown away by Haunted Lighthouse but it might be worth a one-shot. Castle Blackmoor is fantastic every time I look at it, but it just screams “Arneson’s” that it inspires me to go write my own rather than run his. Still, for a tribute game, you couldn’t beat it, you know?

5. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I was born in 1970, Sorry it took me a minute to get back to you. Work has been kicking my butt!

6. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Quite alright! I understand how you feel. I've been so busy with classes and work that I haven't had a chance to turn around.

So, basically, all those guys I read about at 13 were the ones you were getting to meet. I think it's pretty great that you realize the great experiences you were able to have.....not many of us make it to that point.

Thanks again.

Derek
    GP