Need some help from the locals

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Ligmancer, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Ligmancer

Ligmancer Level 0 Character

I'm taking the wife to Lake Geneva for our 10th anniversary over Labor Day weekend. Looking for some pointers as to best restaurants, events, etc. Any suggestions are much appreciated, thanks!

2. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Greetings Ligmancer, I noticed no one has responded to your query so let's see if I can help;
    Eateries: Lake Geneva is full of them. Everything from bearkfast, to lunch, to dinner. It depends on your palette. "The Next Door Pub" is a GREAT place for pizza & beer, (make mine a Spotted Cow, please. YUM!), as well as sandwiches & items of that sort. If you prefer steak, "Anthony's Steak House" is also a very nice place. About one mile out of town on Highway 50 West. (When you reach the top of the BIG HILL look right.) I do believe reservations are required on the weekends.
    As far as things to do there is normally a crowd of people in the downtown area mulling about as it is the last unofficial weekend of summer & tourists abound. The boat tour of Lake Geneva is very scenic & a pleasant way to spend a relaxing afternoon. Might be some sidewalk sales going on at the stores in the downtown area. In Elkhorn, WI. (about a 10 minute drive from Lake Geneva) we have the Walworth County Fair going on, Aug. 29th-Sept. 3rd. A nice way to spend the day, & meet the locals.(Lot of good eats here too.) They also have concerts, at night, at the fair grounds, usually some well know acts. Not sure who....WAIT A MINUTE!!!! My better-half just brought me the local newspaper........ and here's who is at the fair........
    Friday Night: Chris Young 7:30pm
    Saturday Night: Wynonna Judd & The Big Noise 7:30pm
    Sunday Night: REO Speedwagon 7:30pm
    Monday: Demolition Derby 1:45pm, 4:00pm & 6:30pm (sort of a guys' thing.)
    So there you have it. Just to let you know that Lake Geneva has always been a tourist attraction spot & it is a very wonderful community of people. But, when you start traveling our country roads please avoid the cows & deer. We like to keep them around. :D
    Hope you have a fantastic time while you are here & may I be the first to wish you both a HAPPY TENTH ANNIVERSARY!!
    The Keeper (a.k.a. Garycon Post Whore)
    P.S. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I'll keep my eye on this thread over the next few days.

3. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Popeye's also has very good food, and despite what a lot of people think, it is NOT the fried chicken chain. They have their own smoke pit and all the smoked meats I've gotten there have been fantastic. They're right on the lake.

4. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Oh yeah, thanks Jedisoth, I completely forgot about Popeye's. They have a very good menu & the view of the Lake Geneva is worth it as well. Eating by the waterside, watching the boats sail by. (Seems like there should be a song in there somewhere?)

5. welleran

welleran Footpad

I'm not a local, but I've eaten at Medusa several times - it's a bit pricier, but really, really good!

6. Ligmancer

Ligmancer Level 0 Character

Thanks for the info and for the well wishes, I appreciate it! We walked by Medusa this afternoon while out and about, spied the menu and think we may give that a try before the vaca is over. It's great walking around town and seeing some landmarks of this wonderful hobby of ours. We're going to try the tapas at The Baker House tonight and planning on the boat tour tomorrow, thanks again for the tips. Enjoy the weekend!

7. ogrevampire

ogrevampire Level 0 Character

IS Medusa considered the "nicest" and Best cuisine in Lake Geneva? I am looking to take my wife out during Gary Con.

Thanks.

8. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I don't know if it's considered the best but it is very nice and I've enjoyed eating there when I've been in Lake Geneva. It's definitely a bit pricey but the food was worth it. There are also quite a few other good places to eat in town. I just can't remember the name of the one really large restaurant that the hotel took me to one year. It was amazing.