Newbie’s To Gary Con

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gamer-greg, Mar 8, 2011.

1. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

If any "newbies" wish to gather at The Next Door Pub my better-half & I will be at the hotel (The Lodge on Geneva Ridge) this coming Thursday around 3:00PM, probably in the bar. ;) We will be gathering a gaggle of gamer-friends & welcome any would be followers to "Con"-voy to the Pub. (Don't worry, we won't lose you, cuz I'm gettin' to old to drive fast.) We will be leaving the hotel around 5:00-ish to head for the "Pub". You will be responsible for your own eats & drinks as Mama & I haven't won the lottery, YET!
    You will also have to get your own table as ours promises to be pretty full. ( & a $2.00 tip to the waitstaff doesn''t buy much these days.) :lol:
    VERY EXCITED about seeing everyone in 6 days!!
    As ever,
    Mr. & Mrs. "The Keeper"

2. gamer-greg

gamer-greg Level 0 Character

I'd like to meet everyone at The Next Door Pub on Thurs. night, but my flight gets in late (9:07pm). So maybe I'll swing by there on my way to The Lodge if its not too late. Worst case scenario I'll go on Fri. or Sat. night. Looking forward to a fun gaming weekend.

3. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

My computer fu is lousy and I've been trying to locate facilities around the Lodge, but it isn't even listed on the official Lake Geneva page. Oh well, back to scrambling...

4. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

What are you looking for? A hotel? Or just places to visit in general?

5. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

I've got the hotel. I was looking for eats, liquor, food, services in general. Too late now, though. Gotta get this crap packed. And I hate trying to work with my neighbors home!

6. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Bloodymage, when you get to the hotel seek me out. I live in the area & can direct you to anyplace your looking for. :D
    Later,
    The Keeper

7. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

OK, I'm jacked. My sincerest apologies. It's time for my first event and I'm at the Wyndahm in Milwaukee. I'm going down now to see if I can arrange a rental car.

Damn, I ain't rich and this con is costing me in more ways than one!

8. rossik

rossik Footpad

looking forward to see gamer greg's report of the event :D

9. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

Was there some problem with a flight or something?

10. gamer-greg

gamer-greg Level 0 Character

What A FUN TIME! I must admit, it came as quite a shock to have to go back to work on Monday after a great 3 days of gaming. I thought I’d take a moment to give my thoughts and share my experience of Gary Con III.
    As most of you know this was my first gaming convention so I didn’t really know what to expect. When I arrived at The Lodge on Thursday night I was able to check in quick, the room was comfortable, and I even met a few fellow gamers at the bar. Friday and Saturday were long, fun filled days of gaming. It was so great to play games I haven’t played in 20 years. All the games I played had great GM’s and showed tremendous preparation on their part. The players I met were helpful and fun to play with; I made a lot of new friends. My two favorite games were “The Terrible Truth Of Blackwater Bay” Gamma World on Friday morning and “Wretched Swamp” AD&D on Saturday night (Frank Mentzer DM’d, what do you expect). There are so many positive things to say about Gary Con III – relatively quiet gaming area, comfortable rooms & gaming area, tons of events, ease of finding a game to play, & an awesome staff and volunteers.
    It is difficult to think of anything really negative about the Gary Con III. The only thing that really comes to mind is the food; or lack of for that matter. Possibly having a greater variety of games from the TSR era, not just mostly TSR games. Games I thought were missing – Tunnels & Trolls, Traveller, RuneQuest, & DragonQuest. But this is being very picky.
    Overall Gary Con III was awesome and those running the event & acting as game masters should be proud of their accomplishments. Upon arriving home, my pregnant wife said “I hope you enjoyed your last gaming convention”. Any thoughts on how I can get around this problem? I so want to go to Gary Con IV next year. If I’m “allowed to go” I promise I’ll run a game.

11. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

g-g: I'm glad you had fun. I guess you have to convince your wife that she would have fun coming with you- spa, swim, shop in Milwaukee or Chicago or maybe even game. We will continue to have kids games but that is a couple years away for you. Good luck and I hope to see you at GC IV!

Luke

12. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Yeah. Missed two flights out and hence, my ride from MKE. Got in about 12:30PM, called the hotel, but everyone was too bombed to ferry that night, especially for a special trip. Waited about two hours before going to ground. Didn't figure there was any way I'd be able to get all together and be ready for my first event. I was already exhausted as it was, so I didn't ask for a wake-up. Ended up about 2 1/2 hours late for my event. And I got there with everything (well, not the stuff that was confiscated) except my battlemat. Pretty sure it ended up in the Wyndahm or their shuttle.

My whole life is a PITA and flying was the pits. Never again, at least for a con.

13. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Gamer-Greg, I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed my humble Gamma World event :) I hope to see you next year at GaryconIV when I'll be running another Gamma World event and likely some other great old games from the past. Maybe some Gangbusters or Boot Hill.

I'll save you a spot, buddy!

14. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

Sorry about the problems (WOW!), man, and maybe I'm just too tired, but I missed the "PITA" reference.

Just out of curiosity, you gents wouldn't happen to have Top Secret, would you? Only got to play it a few times waaaay back in the day. Same with Boot Hill though...that'd be pretty cool too.
    :cool:

15. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I know Silas ran Top Secret S.I. at this last Garycon. I ran an event using the original Top Secret at Gencon last year and am running a event called The Pankow File, for Top Secret S.I. this year at Gencon. I plan to also run that Top Secret S.I. event at Garycon IV next year. My Top Secret games tend to be based around the Cold War in Berlin around the 50's and 60's using a more realistic setting, ala, John LeCarre'.

I also planned to run Boot Hill at Garycon II but it just didn't work out player-wise, though likely as not because I tried to run it as a tournement and that just didn't work for other people's scheduling. I might run it at Garycon IV, but do it as a single event, it's called, Blood on the Tin and was ran at Gencon last year.

I have a Gangbusters scenario, called The Chicago Way, which has recieved good reaction at both Gencon and Con on the Cob. I may run that one as well at Garycon IV.

16. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

DGS is running some great games planned. I remember playing these games- Top Secret (original), Boot Hill and Gangbusters way back in the early/mid 80s. I ran some Top Secret SI in the early 90s as more of an X-files/Cthulu type scenarios. Good times. Maybe I can sneak in one of these games at GC IV.

17. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

Make sure you "drag" me along.