Official Gary Con III Dates Finalized and Announced!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donal, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Dale

Dale Administrator

I do a lot of traveling, and this seems to be the norm for the past couple of years.

Book early, to ensure you are at ground zero for all the gaming shenanigans.

:eek:

2. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

I just booked my room - wife and kids are going to join me next year. My kids eyes lit up when they visited GaryCon II for swimming; now they are already thnking about what games they want to play...

SIGPUP!

3. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Man, I've got to get on the ball. I've a feeling that rooms will be going fast. As soon as I get past tax season (self-employed taxes hurt!), I'm going to make sure I've got a room.

The dates next year should make it much easier for my family to come with me so I'm looking forward to having a great time. Only problem is I've got to figure out where to stow Redd if I bring the wife and kids. Maybe we can make him sleep in the tub? :shock:

I have to say the on-site swimming pool will make things a lot more fun for the whole family. Of course, the long drive means I'm actually going to have to break down and buy one of those DVD players for the vehicle. I need something to watch while I'm driving! :shock:

4. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Mama & I have talked about a room for next year. This sounds really STUPID as we only live five miles away, but I'm an early riser. Normally up by 3:00am. :eek: So, I crap-out by 7:00pm. Mama likes to stay up till 11:00pm. This way she'd be able to enjoy more gaming while I'm a few hundred feet away at the bar....................I MEAN, IN THE ROOM, SLEEPING!! (Covered that one!) Anyhover, it's still 'up in the air'. We'll see........

5. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I guess, my hunch about the night staff not really knowing what they were talking about was correct. I guess I should have qualified my above post with my suspicion over the quality of the info.

6. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Be nice to the night shift; they are often treated like mushrooms* and the last to get that kind of info.

*Mushrooms: kept in the dark and regularly covered in crap.

7. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I'm trying to be nice; I mostly blame myself for not qualifying my post since I had suspicions based on the muffled Q&A in the background and the tentative (but perhaps dismissive - 'I don't have a clue so, I'm going to tell you something that sounds plausible ploy') response when it finally came.

Oh, and just to be clear...you are pointing out their likely work conditions, not suggesting that we "feed" them, right? :D

8. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Absolutely not, on the feeding thing. Once upon a time, long, long ago, I worked the night desk at a busy airport motel in my hometown. We were lucky if we had one day's notice of an event in one of the meeting rooms.

While there, I found the people on the desk at night to be very helpful and friendly. (And I don't think they even noticed that "VIP" stuff on my badge--half the time my badge is backwards anyhow.)

9. mark

mark Spellbinder

The night staff at the Lodge took good care of me, helping me upgrade and making sure I was only charged the correct amount despite some confusion. Not sure what anyone else experienced but they went above and beyond for me.

10. diaglo

diaglo Chevalier

booked aussi.

D(ave) & D(ave) will be there again.

11. extsr

extsr Chevalier

Proposal:

Free admission, X comp generic tickets, and a special gift
    to anyone crossing an ocean to get here.

(Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia)

F

12. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

What he said.
    And perhaps a special recognition for whomever comes the farthest...?

13. basiliv

basiliv Level 0 Character

Do we reward furthest traveled or most expensive plane ticket or both?

I only mention it since I have traveled to Alaska and that ticket was around $900, but my tickets to Germany usually cost under $500. I guess it comes down to what is the biggest obstacle to coming to Gary Con, distance (time zones and time traveled) or price?

14. extsr

extsr Chevalier

I'm thinking Aliens.

You know... they come flying to GaryCon in their spaceships. But they're friendly aliens ala CE3K not nasties ala IndepDay.

Do some special convention badges with a distinctive Alien design. I'm sure Wham art would be popular and unique. (And Tom can be affordable for friends.)

Since we've had attendees from Italy, I nominate "Martians" as our convention code name for Italians. (Sorry Britain, France, Germany... they got here first!)

Who's gonna be the Venusians?

F

15. extsr

extsr Chevalier

Um... shouldn't this be on an O/T board?

16. francisca

francisca Troubadour

..and I think I got it covered...

My wife has said "no, not this year, the youngest is too young for this sort of thing, but maybe in 2012", and I'm pretty sure I've got my flop space arranged. So plan on more Chicago dogs at Corky's.

17. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

Good to hear, francisca. I felt bad I couldn't offer...

18. francisca

francisca Troubadour

No need to feel bad!

19. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Red or Green?

20. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

No.