Past Cons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donal, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Donal

Donal Administrator

This thread is for any and all discussion regarding past Gary Cons (at this point, Gary Con 0 and Gary Con I).

2. rossik

rossik Footpad

wow, was there a gary con 0? :shock:

3. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Why Yes, but I consider G.C. 1 to be the first real convention because 'zero' isn't really a number. :lol:

4. Dale

Dale Administrator

When we gathered for the funeral of Gary- we found ourselves at Ernie's (the next 2 days) playing board games, drinking New Glarus beer, and remembering the man. Luke had talked about retuning next year for a Gary Con gathering. A way to remember his father under happier conditions.

That's my recollection on it- although it might be clouded due to the emotions of the time & lots of beer.

5. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

A bunch of folks also hung out at the Legion Hall after the funeral - for eats, drinks and reminiscing about Gary ~ and of course, there was gaming. Twas loosely referred to as GaryCON.

I think you were there, Dale . . yes?

:)

6. Dale

Dale Administrator

Yes I was. It was a good time being with everyone- and celebrating his life. If you have a MySpace account look me up- I've got a bunch of photos posted: http://www.myspace.com/daleleonard

7. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Yes- sort of. I suggested and my family agreed that we should have a public gathering to memorialize our dad after his funeral. I thought the Legion was a good place to gather, talk, play games, watch old D&D cartoons and such because it was the site of some Gen Cons and many other smaller conventions back in the old days. It picked up the name Gary Con and folks asked if I was going to do it again every year to honor him. Thus Gary Con was born....

8. Benoist

Benoist Level 0 Character

Hi everybody!

I didn't know about GaryCon 0. How did it go, then? Any particular memory you want to share?

9. cuchulain

cuchulain Level 0 Character

(This is a repost of my recollections from over at DF)

I arrived at the funeral around when it started. Standing in line to pay my respects to the family, I took some time to read the cards on the flowers. There were some very nice displays that had been sent on behalf of the Dragonsfooters, Egg of Coot, Troll Lord Games, and a very nice 5x3 poster from EnWorld where thousands of fans had signed a sympathy card.

Let say right there that there were many more flowers and displays, so anyone not mentioned, please don't feel slighted if I don't recall all of them.

While waiting in line I stood behind a fan who had flown in from California to be at the funeral, behind me were Paul Stormberg and Ahley the Troll Lord booth girl (who's even prettier in real than than in the photos btw).

When I was greeeted by the family they all asked for my name and where I had traveled from to get there. As I said, the family was extremely gracious. Gary's daughters Heidi, Elise, and Cindy were there, his sons Luke and Alex. As well as his wife Gail. Ernie wasn't in the greeting line, but I did see him later in the day. When I mentioned that I was a fan traveling up from Naperville, Elise mentioned that she saw my post on either Dragonsfoot or the Troll boards that said I was coming.

I mention that because I thought it might be important for people the hear that the family was reading the comments and best wishes on the various boards. I think it provided comfort to see how well their father was loved.

In between my arrival, I ran into Ross (Rhuvein) from the TLG boards and the Dragonsfoot board. We talked a great deal throughout the day, and I'm grateful to his introducing me to many other people who I had not met before such as Eric Shook and John (Deogolf) and Mike (Gronan) and his wife.

Thanks Ross, it was a bit hard not knowing many people there, but after your introductions I felt more comfortable.

During the ceremony, Harold Johnson spoke the first eulogy about Gary, talking about how they had met and Harold became involved in TSR. At several points he became quite emotional. Sadly, I can't quite remeber all he said as his emotions rubbed off on me. I did feel it was quit touching.

Jim Ward spoke next, starting off his eulogy teasing Harold for forgeting to introduce him because he had gotten so emotional. Everyone laughed and the mood was lightened for a bit. Jim spoke of his meeting with Gary in a bookstore where he was surprised to see that Gary had exactly the same 7 books he had. Surprised because Gary looked like this "big, biker dude". Gary then asked Jim if he wanted to play a game in which he could playout al;l the roles in those books. As Jim became more involved in TSR, he said he mentioned that he thought Gary should do a science fiction version of the game. Gary told Jim "Why don't you?" the result of which Jim's games were born.

Stephen Chenault of Troll Lord Games spoke next. At several points he became choked up as well as he spoke of their friendship. Stephen related that when the news of Gary's passing first reached him, he didn't want to talk to anybody about it, it was too painful. Then a reporter started asking him questions about Gary that started with "Did he really live in a dungeon?" and "Did he start a cult?' and at that point he felt he needed to put aside some of his grief to set the record start.

Luke Gygax spoke next and told several great stories about how it was like having Gary as a father. He related tales about how the kids would ask evrynight for bed time stories, and Gary would put them off time again with puns until they couldn't take it anymore and then he would sit down a tell them a real story.

Luke talked about his father's competitive spirit, how when playing a war game, Luke was winning until Gary got pyschological on him, saying "You're done now, it's over." and got Luke to quit. Afterwards he admitted to Luke that Luke was winning and Gary was the one who would have been done for soon.

Luke also related how, when he was sick, Gary would stay home with him and play games. Eventually, Luke would feel better, but keep pretending to be sick to play longer. That would last until Gail would figure out what was going on and force Luke to go to school.

The priest ended the eulogy speaking about some quotes that wil Wheaton and Neil Gaimon had made about his passing. He spoke of Gary's life and his faith. His contribution to our society.

I felt the most poignant remark by the priest was that Gary had given people who didn't always fit it, a tool (the game) which helped them feel like they finally belonged.

also among those in attendance were Rob Kuntz, Frank Mentzer, Tom Wham, Jolly Blackburn and Skip Williams. I know that there were many more that were TSR or industry pros, but who I was not familiar with.

Afterwards, Garycon started up over at the American Legion Hall. Frank Mentzer spoke some word on how Gary had effected all of our lives and made everyone he talked to feel that they were special and his friend.

Many games were played at the various tables. Others broke into groups and told stories about Gary and how he had impacted their lives.

I played in a game of AD&D that was run by Paul Stormberg. Ross (Rhuvein), John (Deogolf), Eric Shook, Alan Grohle, Jeffry St Clair and another fellow who's name was Kevin took part. Later a young lad by the name of Crispin, who looked about 7 or 8 joined in. He had never played before and the looks of wonder and excitement on his face as he experienced D&D for the first time were priceless. Sadly, the Hall closed before Paul could finish his scenrio, but I would like to thank him for his fine game and letting me participate.

After the Hall closed, several people met up at Fatcats, one of Gary's watering holes, for a nightcap. Both Troll Lords Steve and Davis, Ross, James Mishler, Kerry the fellow creating the adventure card game with Gary, and many others were there. Sadly, I can't remember everyone's name that I talked to at Fatcats, as I had had quite a few more beers than I'm used to having these days. When I called it a night at a litlle after 12 there were still a number of folks going strong.

It was good evening and a fitting celebration to Gary's life. I know I'm forgetting many details and people, so my apologies, and anyone else who wants to chime in would be great.

Kevin (Morty)

10. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Kevin,

That was a great synopsis of the day. And it is absolutely true that reading all the posts on the various forums was very heartening to my family. That is the main reason why I started gary Con. I figured that many folks were mourning the loss of my Dad even if they didn't get to meet him. I have a video of the funeral service that I may make available.

Luke

11. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Luke,

I know that I would enjoy seeing some of the video but I can definitely understand any hesitancy in releasing it.

Thanks again for all this sharing. These are truly some great memories that all of you have.

Derek
    GP

12. tstone

tstone Level 0 Character

I'm curious, this one for the old skewl Gen Conners. It sounds to me like what GC is attempting to capture is what Gen Con used to be, that it is no longer thus.

Has Gen Con really departed that much from it's roots? Is it still even worth attending? I've never been to one, so I have no point of comparison.

13. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I don't know about the "roots" of GenCon other than what I've heard from those who went in the early years. You can still get into some great old school gaming, hang out with friends and find pick up games everywhere. The biggest problems some of my "small con" friends first had with GenCon was the overwhelming size and number of people. It's basically a city within a city and I must say that for the experience it's worth seeing.

Personally, I like it because I love seeing this sheer number of gamers of all stripes. It's great seeing people from various parts of the hobby mingling together and having fun.

I also enjoy the dealer room as well as the auction. Both are tremendous amounts of fun.

So, GenCon is a big huge Con with way too much to do. You feel like you miss out on stuff but it's still fun. Gary Con feels like a gathering of old friends who have let some new guys (like me) sit in on the game and, before you know it, they're offering you a beer and asking you to sling some dice.

Gary Con doesn't feel like a Con....it feels like a bunch of people getting together and having fun.

FWIW,

GP
    Derek

14. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Garycon 2 has 200+ registered attendees :!: I think that is a pretty good legacy. :D :cool:

15. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

WOW! I didn't realize it was up to that many. I wonder how many people will also show up "at the door" hoping to get in some good gaming.

That's just amazing!

16. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I know of a few. ;)

17. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Indeed. This is turning into a pretty large con! I can't wait. Not only is it Garycon (2), but it's my first gaming con ever! :shock:

18. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Seriously?!

19. mark

mark Spellbinder

. . . and so the hazing began . . .

20. kevin cabai

kevin cabai Level 0 Character

I have to wonder about your statement about Gencon departing from it’s roots. I believe that the seeds of Gencon started to bloom in the horticultural hall and have continued to grow. Not unlike a tree where it started to develop branches reaching out into other directions, growing bigger and fuller. Now it is far beyond any of us could have foreseen. No matter how tall or how wide this tree is, it is held firm by its trunk (gaming).

As I start to plan what games I will be running at my 37th Gencon (College and the Army caused me to miss a few), I always will remember the roots. My future wife (now current) started to join me while we gaming at Kenosha/Parkside. This will be her 25th Gencon.

My kids started to first accompany us at Milwaukee albeit their first Gencons were “in-vitro”. Now they have 18 and 20 under their belts. They started being pushed in a stroller, to spending some gaming time at the nursery. Then they first began to develop their skills at the paint-n-take. Progressing from Fuzzy Heroes and board games, to Lego Pirates, and CCG’s. Moving on to miniatures and RPG’s and then computer and anime. They have even served as Volunteers. Add to this the Art Show, Auction, Cardhalla, the movies, the riddle quests, and the (gasp) Dealer area.

Gencon for us, has become a family gaming vacation. We are all together for some (Red Shirts’ Silent Death) and apart for the others. But we all have a great time. I could not tell you what is better, sleeping in a tent at Bigfoot State Park in the 70’s or our rooms at the Westin. Playing micro armor in the dimly lit hall while Waterloo and Tora Tora Tora were playing overhead or the availability of 24 hour gaming. I can tell you I have enjoyed every one. I also could not tell what Gary had envisioned for Gencon, but I am pretty confident that he is pleased.

Kevin Cabai