Pathfinder Society Events at Gary Con IV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Melf, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Ancientgamer1970

Ancientgamer1970 Level 0 Character

As an old time gamer of 36 years, it is awesome that Paizo is finally going to attend GARYCon and represent the company that assisted Gary back in the day with some of his works.

It is also good to know that GaryCon is opening its arms to other leaders in the RPG industry with their great products especially Paizo.

As it was already mentioned, there are very few companies who opened their doors to allow the players themselves to dictate what needs to be done or found in an RPG. Kudos to Paizo for allowing that opportunity to happen and making Pathfinder reign supreme as it has.

It is also refreshing to know that GaryCon is not presenting itself as an "elitist" gaming convention catering only to one small minute group of gamers. What kind of fun is that????

Thank you garyCon for having vision and allowing Paizo to attend. They will bring a lot of gamers to your doors.

Next year, I will be there and I will run OLD SCHOOL GAMES as well as PATHFINDER...

2. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Are the Pathfinder events going to be official network events, which require Pathfinder Society membership?

3. Ancientgamer1970

Ancientgamer1970 Level 0 Character

Events for the Pathfinder Society are official and require Pathfinder Society membership to count for those members but you can play in them as a non-member as they do here at the FLGS in my area. It is almost like the RPGA or Living Greyhawk groups. In the event it is the PFS official events, members will have priority over non-members.

It is also possible they might be running some other events to give new players an idea of what PF is all about and so on. They are very diverse when it comes to gaming conventions.

4. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I don't have details yet. I'd like to see an intro event and a mid-level event for established players. Perhaps I can get them to run some demo/intro pathfinder scenarios as well. Or just find some current pathfinder GM's coming to GC and get them to run non-official events.

5. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

The current "season" of Pathfinder Society has a 3-adventure starter kick-off series designed for introducing new players to Pathfinder Society, the factions, etc. I'd be shocked if they didn't offer sessions of those at the very least.

6. extsr

extsr Chevalier

I think PF players are a dominant force in hobby gaming these days.

I would encourage old-schoolers to be inclusive.*

*except for WotC products. ;>

7. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

If anyone has any question about Paizo's love of Gary Gygax's creation, just ask Erik Mona about Greyhawk. I'm pretty sure the only reason Golarion exists is because Paizo didn't own the rights to Greyhawk. :p

8. grodog

grodog Troubadour

I pinged Erik to see if he, Lisa, or James Jacobs were planning to attend GaryCon, and he said he'd like to :D

9. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

The Dead Games Society offers a hearty welcome to the Pathfinder Society! Another gaming group promoting a system they weren't ready to move on from. :)

10. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I sure hope they can make it! I think they would have a great time and run some excellent games too!

11. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

I hate Facebook, I'm addicted with the "like" button!

12. howandwhy99

howandwhy99 Level 0 Character

...and Wizards too. I'm open converting what my players want to OD&D. :D

13. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

A Kerry sighting!

You really coming this time?

14. aplus

aplus Level 0 Character

This is good news. To quote Frank Mentzer, "Pathfinder rocks".

15. clangador

clangador Footpad

I recently played PF. It was okay, but not something I would invest a lot of my gaming time in. It seemed a little bit of a rip off of 3e. Just my personal opinion there, but then again one could say a lot of OSR games are a rip off of older versions of D&D.

My main concern is that Garycon remain focused on old school games like AD&D and not become just another game convention. We already have a myriad of "regular" game conventions. I'd like to see Garycon remain special.

16. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

The way I see it, Pathfinder is a continuation of 3rd edition D&D. Third edition while more recent then first and second is still an "older" edition. As such, Pathfinder games would seem to remain right in line with the feel of games often played at past Garycons. Ultimately though, I believe the primary focus of Garycon is to honor Gary Gygax. I doubt Gary would agree with a convention in his name that was exclusionary when it came to role-playing games, what with him the father of roleplay gaming and all;)

17. clangador

clangador Footpad

I am not saying there shouldn't be newer games, just that older games are supported too.

18. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Could not agree more :)

19. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I would think so! I don't think Dead Games will ever be out of style at any Con. I can't remember the last Con I've been to where OOP games were not being played.

20. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Thanks Preach, we try to make sure those good ones get represented. ;)

Give it a few years and I think 3rd edition will have aged appropriately. The guys from the Pathfinder Society are doing a great job with their favored edition. And based on the representation at the last Gencon, much better then WotC have with their own current one. :)