Pathfinder Society Events at Gary Con IV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Melf, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

There will always be lots of old school games played at Gary Con. We are fortunate to have so many of the Old Guard supporting us and many old school game afficienados too. Paul Stormberg has done yeoman's work putting together some outstanding old miniatures events (and running AD&D too). My thought was that we should include some selection of current game systems as well. Personally, I play almost exclusively old game systems.

2. clangador

clangador Footpad

I run mostly AD&D & OSRIC, but will play just about anything at least once.

3. Narl

Narl Level 0 Character

I don't think it has been mentioned, but Paizo published a number of Gary's novels a few years ago as part of their Planet Stories line.

Also worth noting, the Pathfinder Core Rulebook is dedicated to Gary and Dave. The new Beginner Box they've just come out with, which I've been having a great time playing through with my kids, is dedicated to J. Eric Holmes, Frank Mentzer, and Tom Moldvay. I think it is great that Paizo and Pathfinder will be part of Gary Con.

4. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Man, thanks for reminding us about those books. I've been gaming since the early 80s and it wasn't until Paizo came out with those books that I realized that Gary had written some novels other than Gord the Rogue. Even though I'd known about the Gord books, I'd never read them but I decided to pick up the ones that Paizo put out. These Setne Imhotep were, imo, a very good read. I later read the Gord books but found the Setne ones to be of superior quality.

I also think the boxed set that Paizo has put out is a great idea. They seem to be doing some really great work and I think this slimmed down rules system for their boxed set would be very useful for a number of minimalist gamers such as myself. I've played PF and have enjoyed it but it is a bit rules intensive for me so any time I come across a slimmed own version of a system I find myself enjoying it even more.

Now, if we can get Wolfgang Bauer and Kobold Quarterly to make an appearance I think we'd have a great history of the industry all in one place. In all honesty, I think this honors the legacy of EGG in a bright and exciting way.

5. WSmith

WSmith Level 0 Character

Me too. I have been wanting to pick up that card game since we played it in the Dragonsfoot chat room when you released it. :)