Pick-Up Games Notification?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sniderman, Jan 18, 2012.

1. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

This is my first Gary Con, and I've heard that - scheduled events aside - there are plenty of pick-up games popping up all over the place. But how does one find out about them? Other than just blundering onto one in a corner someplace (or the 24-hour gaming room) and asking to jump in, is there a bulletin board or other publically-posted notice system?

I've suggested this at other conventions: Some public location known to all attendees where pick-up games can be posted. A wall of corkboard with post-its and pens:

"AD&D - 1st ed: 'Quest for the MacGuffin - Looking for 6 players. Characters provided. No exp. needed. Tonight 9 p.m. Cell # XXX-XXXX if interested or stop by Room 124."

"Illuminati pick-up game at midnight Saturday. Must know how to play. Meet in the Gaming room and ask for Big Mike. Fnord."

Is there such a method of informal contact in place? I think it'd be helpful for getting folks together informally during the off-hours.

2. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Sounds like a good idea. I second this!

3. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I really like this idea.....considering I've generally found some wandering monsters *cough*, sorry, I meant gamers late at night who were having a brew and wanting to play some games. It would be nice to have a place with that listed.

I can see it now:

BYOB. Pick up game of Tomb of Horrors. Ages 21 and Up. Multiple Characters provided. You must take a shot every time you die. Last person standing wins. :twisted:

4. francisca

francisca Troubadour

So tempting....

5. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

As a DM, I think it'd be helpful for other games I want to run. Case in point, I'm scheduled to run four games -- planning on playing in a few scheduled ones too. But there are other games I'd like to run, but I'm not sure I'd have time and/or inclination. But if I get a second wind and decide "Yeah, I think I can make that game of Toon happen tonight," it'd be great to find some players.

And for players with some downtime who are bored, they can check out the Big Board and see if there are any games coming up/underway they can check out. They may get a chance to try some other games they hadn't planned to play.

And for the organizers, all it would take is a chalkboard, corkboard, big-ass paper easel, or other community "leave your pick-up game notice here" wall to make it happen. Every morning, tear off those games that have happened.

6. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Previous MO has been:

all the scheduled event listings taped to the central pillar by registration
    pickup game sheets either on the side of the registration tables or near the entrance of the open gaming room

7. Donal

Donal Administrator

I think something like this is very possible. I'll see what I can come up with.

8. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

If there's anything I can do to help facilitate it, let me know. I'm more than happy to help with something like this.....

9. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Post-its seems like the way to go to me. Could even do different colors for different days or event types (RPG, mini, board).

No cork-board or pins needed. No need to hang or otherwise restrain a board. Virtually unlimited capacity and no chance of damaging the hotel wall(s) or door(s).

10. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

I'm planning on vacuum forming a DGS bulletin board to post our pick-up games. That is if I can finish the DGS DM screens first. ;)

MoT

11. greywolf

greywolf Level 0 Character

Wow, you are awesome.