Possible Wednesday Early Arrival Kingmaker Game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mark, Feb 12, 2014.

1. mark

mark Spellbinder

2. mark

mark Spellbinder

3. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

How hard is the game to pick up for a newb?

4. welleran

welleran Footpad

Ironically enough, that was the first game I played at my first Garycon!

5. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Very doable. This is one of the mid-70's classics that was self contained and not needing separate models.

6. mark

mark Spellbinder

Indeed, it is a game that can be learned at the table and as the pace of the game picks up, even new players can quickly get up to speed. :)

(And new players are expressly welcome!)

7. silas

silas Chevalier

I am up for it for sure: just played one with you at Games Plus and had a great time.

Let me know if you want to do it Wednesday afternoon/evening. I will be around.

8. mark

mark Spellbinder

Groovy. I'm getting mostly people who can be there in the afternoon, and I would like to keep the later evening open for the pre-GC gathering, so probably mid-afternoon now that I think about it. I'll firm that up as we get a few more interested players.

9. Gryph

Gryph Level 0 Character

What time were you thinking, Mark? I expect to be there around 5 and I have a lot of fond memories of playing Kingmaker with my uncle.

10. mark

mark Spellbinder

I'd like to try and start earlier, given the Wednesday evening get together will start early evening. But if we can't get enough folks to start a game until 5 pm, then that's when we'll have to do it. :) Would it be both you and your son playing, Fred?

11. Gryph

Gryph Level 0 Character

I think he can be talked into it :)

But if you can get started earlier I'll completely understand. Its about an 8 hour drive for us and that's about as early as I expect to make it.

12. mark

mark Spellbinder

Understood. We'll see how things go. I've got multiple copies of the game, though, so maybe more than one can be set up?

13. Gryph

Gryph Level 0 Character

or, we aren't leaving until Monday morning, maybe a Sunday night game?

14. mark

mark Spellbinder

I'm running the last official game of the convention, Avalon Hill's Civilization 1981 edition. I think it has filled already.

*edit* And you and your son are already signed up! :D

15. Gryph

Gryph Level 0 Character

Thats right! I love the AH Civ. Mark do you have the expansion map and card set? I can bring mine if you dont and would like to use them or check them out.

16. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Probably not getting there until 8-ish wednesday night, and after spending most of the day at an indoor water park before driving down from the Dells, I'm likely to cozy up with a Spotted Cow or Five, and just kibitz.

17. mark

mark Spellbinder

No need for the expansion for our game but I'm happy to check them out, Gryph! :)

It's great that you have the family along again, Rich, and I hope we'll get to spend some time catching up again. I think we'll likely pick a spot close to the bar for our game, though not right in the bar so we don't curtail anyone's consumption. ;)

18. mark

mark Spellbinder

Plus, I wonder if Grodog will be running some aliens at the "lounge" table or maybe some Wits & Wagers again?!

19. mark

mark Spellbinder

Back seat Kingmaking? :D

20. mark

mark Spellbinder

Looks like we'll need to start late afternoon to get enough players, so we'll say 5-ish and meet in the lobby. I'll have the game box on the table and we'll decide where to actually play when people arrive (but it will either be the lobby or nearby, so just look around if you are running late). We might even try to integrate late players right into the action when they arrive. While there might seem to be a disadvantage to jumping in late, you'd be surprised how the tide can turn as the game rolls on.