Recent movies I've seen that are definitely worthwhile...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tstone, Oct 25, 2009.

1. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Awesome! Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

2. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Not a new movie, but I just waatched Transformers 2 and was surprised at how good of a movie it is. I expect explosions and cool transforming sounds but rather a reasonably decent storyline. Plenty of holes plot-wise, but overall, not a bad flick.

3. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Seriously? You actually thought that another Baysplosions production was a decent film? What I saw when I watched was another part of my childhood get ripped a new one in Imax. :evil:

4. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Don't get me wrong; the whole series shreds another piece of my childhood as well. But taking that out of the picture, in its' own right, it is a decent flick.

5. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I can't agree. I might have been expecting too much, as I thought, even with the flaws, that the first movie was pretty good and lots of fun. The second left me just... blah. When Peter Cullen gets less lines than a secondary character, there is definitely a problem. I've heard the third movie is supposed to be all CGI and few humans, so this concerns me.

6. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Well, I suppose not everyone can be a movie-evaluating genius like me! ;) :lol: Just kidding!

7. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

I'm going to have to go with Jon on this one, especially in the light of my 2 years of screenwriting classes and one half of my second major is Film & Media studies. :)

And, it is my opinion that Baysplosions should never be allowed to contaminate another film project. :mrgreen:

8. tstone

tstone Level 0 Character

The first one was much better, but I had fun with 2. That opening sequence was the best and most promising, with that joint human/Autobot task force assigned to flushing out the Decepticons gone to ground. That massive wheeled Decepticon they had that running battle with, and the appearance of Arcee, I thought was very cool.

IMO, the third should take place in space. Villain? Unicron.

What did you all think of Star Trek, btw? I LOVED it, and was amazed at how well it captured, yet updated TOS Trek.

9. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I found it a good homage, as well as a decent episode. It was enjoyable and appealed to ALL (from The Cage on up) aspects of Star Trek, which was cool. That said, it's not my Star Trek.

And the redesign of the Enterprise exterior was unnecessary.

10. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

You know, if they do Unicron, I might go and see it. As for J.J. Abrams take on Star Trek: outstanding. That was one of the best sci-fi films I've seen.

11. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

Just saw George Romero's "Diary of a Zombie". Was ok overall; some of the goofy bits were amusing (like the Amish guy with the dynamite). Since its ambitions were set fairly low I suppose it met its goals; I'd say it was a B-.

I will say this though - if there is a zombie apocalypse and I find myself in a group with some d*uchebag who does nothing but walk around with a camera like the guy in this movie, I'm going to give him one chance to put the camera down and do something useful before I shoot that worthless piece of crap in the face. What a tool..

Andy

12. tstone

tstone Level 0 Character

Sorority Row-Hot chicks, nudity and an even bustier looking elder Carrie Fisher makes me want to give this a pass, but terrible killer id reveal and took too long to get to the nudity nullfies.

Less than run of the mill slasher thriller packed with hotties.

Decide for yourself.

13. tstone

tstone Level 0 Character

Richard Kelley's "The Box", based loosely on the short story "Button, Button" by Richard mattheson.

A couple is presented a wooden box with a big red button. They are told, if they press it, they get a million dollars. Also, someone in the world they don't know will die.

Good movie. I thought it might be Kelley's attempt to do a more mainstream thriller, after "Donnie Darko" and "Southland Tales". And it starts out that way. But the signature Kelley strangeness shows up later.

I really dug it.

If you liked his previous efforts, you likely will dig this one.

14. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

:|

When she was in her prime, Carrie Fisher was fine, but the last time I saw her (years ago), she was looking pretty...ravaged. She actually looks good in this?

15. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

So I'm going to see Ninja Assassin tonight. Partly because I like Real Movie Theater Popcorn With Buttery-Tasting Industrial Waste Topping(TM), partly because It's Got Freaking Ninjas (see also: http://www.realultimatepower.net) but mostly because of a review reading in part:

"What's The Deal: This badly directed, badly scripted, badly acted movie is not good. It is, however, awesome. And that's because when it finally stops making actors talk to each other there's a really groovy body count mounting. Anonymous bad people get sliced in half, smashed to pieces in all-white restrooms, eviscerated with those cool throwing-stars and chain-sliced by Rain. If you care deeply about stuff like acting and the art of filmmaking and if you don't adore extreme ninja murders with all your heart then you should probably not see this film. I will be seeing it twice."

(rest of review here: http://www.movies.com/movie-reviews/nin ... ite/117033)

Hopefully this one will live up to the advertised mayhem level : )

Andy

16. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I saw "The 4th Kind" a few weeks ago and really liked it. The format was pretty cool. They split the screen on ocassion and had "real" footage along side the re-enacted movie footage. Pretty cool. And Mila Jovavich is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hot. Not as hot as Megan Fox, but I wouldn't kick her out of bed, for sure. Of course this presumes that she would get into my bed in the first place. I know Megan would, but chicks with Slavic names are unpredictable. ;) Just kidding!

17. Dale

Dale Administrator

I just watched the BoonDock Saints II and it was a really good movie!

I was expecting it to suck (as most sequels do), but they did a great job with it. (Review rating: 8/10).

//If you have not seen the original- you need to before you treat yourself to this one.

18. tstone

tstone Level 0 Character

A Christmas Carol-Excellent, and it's clear that Zemeckis has gotten better with this motion capture animation. Jim Carrey was great as Scrooge, but then, you knew he would be.

The 3-D worked great. I love this story. Growing up, I would usually catch the 1970 version on TV once every year around this time. Alec Guinness played a VERY creepy Jacob Marley in that version.

19. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I'm a fan of A Christmas Story. :D I love the scene where Ralphie snaps and beats the crap out of the bully kid. :lol: Ahhh... A Christmas classic!

20. tstone

tstone Level 0 Character

Must see.