Recent movies I've seen that are definitely worthwhile...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tstone, Oct 25, 2009.

1. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Let me preface this post by saying that until now, to me, a new movie usually meant on DVD for less than a year, as I don't get out to theater too often and have to fight for the t.v. with three kids and my wife! Just signed up for Netflix, though, so I'll at least catch new DVDs sooner. Currently waiting on Zombieland and Surrogates; Land of the Lost and Hangover up next.

Just saw the Proposal (wife's choice). Typical chick flick. Some very funny parts, some scratch-your-head parts. Worth watching with your significant other.

Finally saw District 9, which was more drama than action and am wondering if District 10 will be more action than drama. Not out of this world (pun intended), but definitely worth watching.

Finally saw Transformers 2 and the second Fantastic Four movie (on t.v.), both of which were a little better than I expected. That's why I like listening to all my friends' bitching about movies: so I can go in with with low expectations. And for the record, I think the movie version of Galactus worked much better for the average film-goer than would a dude in a big, purple helmet.

It's not new, but I just picked up a BR copy of Apocalypto and watched it again. I've never seen a better job of acting by complete unknowns. Mel Gibson is a better director than actor. If you haven't seen it and liked 10,000 B.C. and/or Last of the Mohicans, check it out.

A Robert Rodriguez version of Red Sonja. Why do I think this won't work?

Loved Star Trek and Band of Brothers kicks ass. It's like twelve hours of Saving Private Ryan.

Also, for the record: IMHO Brad Pitt is a better actor than he gets credit for. At the very least, he can pick a script. Call me a fan.

Hey Druvas: so how was Public Enemies? I'm hoping it's good.

2. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Surrogates was unspectacular, but worth a watch but Wolverine was much better than I expected.

3. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Zombieland was a good time; more comedy than I expected.

4. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

"Moon" (2009) with Sam Rockwell is just awesome. Why this movie didn't receive a wider release is beyond me. As far as sci-fi films go, this one ranks up there with the likes of Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey."

5. tstone

tstone Level 0 Character

Yeah, Moon was one of those overlooked gems of last year, as was, IMO, Pandorum. Fortunately, another small science fiction film, District 9, got it's just due. Science fiction was one of the biggest genres last year, marked by Star Trek and most notably Avatar.

Latest film, mes amis? The Wolfman, good atmospheric, well cast, surprisingly well written old school werewolf horror. Go see it.

6. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Moon added to the list (thanks) and somebody told me Hurt Locker is good, so I added that. Anybody see K-19: The Widowmaker or I.O.U.S.A.?

7. mark

mark Spellbinder

I concur on Moon. Also, Percy Jackson gets my thunbs down unless viewed cheaply (matinee, DVD, etc.) and The Wolfman gets my thumbs up. :)

8. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

While the Percy Jackson movie strayed a good deal from the book, I thought it was okay. It's definitely a bit of a fun romp and decent kids movie. However, if they're under 10 I wouldn't recommend it because of a few scary scenes. I'd give it a 3 out of 5 stars.

As to the Wolfman, I haven't seen it yet but anything with Anthony Hopkins has got to rock, right?

9. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Nah, he's had some stinkers, but it does look very Bram-Stokers-Dracula-ish (which Hopkins was decent in), so that's a plus and I like Del Toro. Wolfman was my favorite monster movie from days of yore, too.

10. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I just got back from Edge of Darkness. Kind of transparent but a good Gibson flick. And revenge is a dish best served cold. nuff' said.

11. tstone

tstone Level 0 Character

Cop Out, tepid holla to 80s buddy cop dramedy action movies. Competently directed, pretty well casted, but limp script. Kevin, you've done better.

12. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

Saw it the weekend before this one just passed.

It was ok. The wolfman hisself was a little too superhuman, but the transformations were good (with a nod to American Werewolf in London for the painful bone-popping transform). The werewolves were a good homage to the original Lon Cheney Jr. version (no snout).

Plot was meh, acting was pretty good. Oddly, just didn't really find myself getting into the movie despite liking horror flicks and werewolf flicks in particular.

Worth watching or renting once, but I wouldn't buy a copy for the library (unlike the original Wolfman, The Howling or American Werewolf in London - the trio that comprise my movie werewolf canon).

Andy

13. Dale

Dale Administrator

Who has seen the new version of Alice in Wonderland?

Is it worthy?

14. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

My wife saw it while I was at GC2 and she said it was pretty good. Jolly Blackburn also saw it and said it was really good. The vorpal sword and the Jabberwocky scene, according to him, are enough reason for a gamer to see it.

15. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

I think Tim mentioned at the table during his game the SyFy original version which has a sort of post-apocalyptic steam-punkish feel. Much better than the candy-coated Disney version that just came out. I haven't seen either one, though, despite them both sitting on my desk, (gotta love Chinese bootleg copies) so I'm talking purely about other people's opinions.

16. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Would this be the same table where we ended up talking about the D&D movies?

17. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

I had to pee like 11 times during that game, so I might have missed that part of the conversation.

18. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Vorpal sword? Jabberwock? Okay, AiW just moved up the list.

Saw Hurt Locker while in WI and, though I liked it, not sure it deserved Best Picture.

19. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

If you've seen Avatar and look past all the special effects, you'll have a better understanding why "Hurt Locker" won.

20. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I'm hearing good things about How to Train Your Dragon...but I want to hear it from a trusted source - you folks....what's the scoop?