Recent movies I've seen that are definitely worthwhile...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tstone, Oct 25, 2009.

1. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I thought the same, that it would be impossible, but I think you have to do just what you said: suspend your disbelief, like a play. Explaining it any other way would have required a much more involved backstory, which I think would really have hurt the movie.

When the zombie apocalypse comes, I'm partying with Woody and Bill.

2. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Man, I'm not touching that statement with a 10-foot pole! :twisted:

3. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

"Inception" was well worth the money. I'd tell you about the film, but that would just ruin it. I also saw "Despicable Me." I was quite surprised at how touching it was while still being funny.

4. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Zombieland was great, but I'm a huge Metallica fan, so I was probably biased after the intro. Kick Ass wasn't High Art, but it was much better than I thought it would be and I was thoroughly entertained. Sometimes you want a filet mignon, sometimes you just crave a great cheeseburger I guess.

Couldn't sleep last night and ended up ordering Valhalla Rising. The landscapes were gorgeous and the action scenes were hearty and fun, though the rest might be pretentious drivel. Can't make up my mind quite yet. It was 2AM.

5. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Have heard conflicting opinions of Donnie Darko for awhile now and happened to catch it on the Indie channel last night (no commercials; love that). I thought it was brilliant.

The blu-ray Clash of the Titans disc has a DVD and multiple digital formats for download BTW. Still the same opinion of the movie, but its worth having just for the monster scenes.

EDIT: Oh, and I really enjoyed Alice in Wonderland. It's more like Return to Wonderland and isn't Depp's best performance, but there is still lots to like.

6. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I just saw Shutter Island and found it very depressing. The worst part is I "guessed" the plot within the first 10-15 minutes of the movie which really annoyed me. DeCaprio's accent also made it a bit strained as well. I was wondering if he was auditioning for a role as a young JFK sometime down the road.

7. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Just watched It's Complicated and laughed out loud a lot. Much funnier than I thought it would be. A good date night movie IMHO, especially for us older and/or married folks.

8. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Defendor with Woody Harrelson is awesome and a must-see.

9. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Prince of Persia is exactly what it looks like: very good effects, lots of bad dialogue, bad acting and questionable plot lines. Worth watching once, but there's no hurry.

Not as funny as all the hype IMHO, but if you liked Shaun of the Dead, you'll of course like Hot Fuzz.

The Men Who Stare at Goats tried to be the Big Lebowski but failed miserably. And I'm not a big fan of Lebowski so guess what I thought of this movie? Don't waste your time.

Ninja Assassin had the return of Sho Kosugi of 80s Ninja movies fame and I'm pretty sure he brought the script through time with him. There are some really cool effects, but you'll have to strain to see them through the buckets of blood.

Sunshine was like 2001 A Space Odyssey, except awesome.

10. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Wait, how is 2001 not awesome?