Registration is Open for Gary Con II!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dale, Jul 24, 2009.

1. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Luke,

I'm sure if you give the guys at Kenzer a shout they'll happily throw some information about GaryCon II in the KODT magazine. I know they put up photos and have had articles about GCI (and of course they had your interview!) so I know they'll be glad to start putting out some info as soon as you'd like.

Personally, I think you're going to have a tremendous turnout. Almost every old school gamer I spoke to at GenCon is planning on going and a number of my "boys" want to come but since I'm staying with a friend I'm only going to bring my wife. (At least I'm hoping she'll come, it's hard to get her to take time off for work. We'll also have to see if mum-in-law will watch the kids for a few days.)

2. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Who cares? Me, you, and Kask will be there, so we'll have Circus Maximus!

Yer dead meat!

:lol:

3. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

Not if I can hide on the other side of Luke's chariot... ;)

Can't wait. :cool:

4. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

I saw that being played at GaryCon I - Can Mark and I get in on that action?

5. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

That will be a special event on the event catalogue. There will be a way to sign up ahead of time. There are a few spots that are already reserved from last year. There will be about 6 or 7 spots available. Thats when it pays to be an early Early Bird registrant.

6. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Hey Melf-

I can't seem to find the info on getting the Con rate for the Lodge. Do I just call them and tell them I'm coming for GaryCon?

Thanks!

7. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Your "Use Melf as a Meatshield" defense won't save you!

8. Contrarian

Contrarian Level 0 Character

Yep. That's what I did. Just say you want "the Gary Con rate." They'll confirm the rate after you pick a room, and offer to e-mail a confirmation.

9. Ector

Ector Level 0 Character

Also make sure you get the right Lodge. The one by Geneva State Park in Ohio doesn't know anything about GaryCon :)

10. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Thanks. Quite helpful from a contrarian!

huh. talk about poor customer service!

11. Melf

Francisca- You got good advice already. Simply call the Lodge at Geneva Ridge in Lake Geneva WI toll free at 800-225-5558 (http://www.genevaridge.com/resort/homepage.cfm) and tell them you are coming for Gary Con.. I believe the rate is $79 per night and comes out to roughly $88 after the local tourism taxes. Let me know if you have any problems. There should be atleast 10 rooms left at the special rate.

Luke

12. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Done.

Thanks Luke!

13. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Does anyone know if there are any rooms left at the hotel? I'm staying with a friend but I may want to stay at the hotel one or two nights (and see if my friends would like to stay). If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Looking forward to GCII!

GP

14. Melf

Derek,

Just give the hotel a call and ask. If you want the special price you need to reserve by end of January. I think the number is 800.225.5558

Luke

15. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Thanks! I'll try and check that out tomorrow.

Derek

16. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Okay, folks, reserved my room for Friday and Saturday! Seems like they've still got some left but they're going quickly.

Did find out that if you reserve a room they charge you for the first night right then....that's a little bit odd but, what the hey, I'm looking forward to seeing all of you and having some gaming fun. Can't think of a better way to remember the GawdFather of Gaming.

17. Dale

Dale Administrator

I had that happen (1st night charge on credit card) last month when I went to Atlantic City. It appears it is becoming more common.

18. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I guess the find that easier than doing a "hold" because, for all intents and purposes, they do the same thing. All I can say is I'm glad the Marriot did not do that at GenCon. I used a number of my auctions to help pay for my room and a $200 hit on my card would not have made me (or the wife) happy.

19. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

As pertains to CIRCVS MAXIMVS at GaryCon II:

I have already stated that anyone that was signed up for last year's aborted race can have a spot in this one.

There are twelve slots and all were full. I'm pretty sure it will be a showcase event on Sat. night, so it seems reasonable to require that any of the drivers from last year should commit by Friday night, or at the very latest, 10 AM on Sat.

If there are more people that want in than there are open slots in the field, how Luke wants to handle it is up to him, whether it be a sign-up sheet like "Standby" or conducting a drawing at an announced time, or simple graft and bribery (as long as I get my cut).

The winner gets their name on the Byron Memorial Chariot Race Trophy and bragging rights for the year. Word has it that the bounty on Luke might get stupid again; I am considering banning that aspect as I think that everyone should get a fair chance at winning. Not that I am opposed to some good old fashioned mayhem; I am furnishing all the drivers with cars with "choppers" a la Messalla in Ben Hur. Hey, if he/she is faster and you get a shot at them, it's up to you. I just felt that the bounty on Luke kind of distorted last year's race.