RP Systems - Other

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by Raic, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Raic

Raic Level 0 Character

The convention is D&D centric. This is totally understandable; it is Gary Con after all. Heck, most the sessions that I registered for are AD&D RPs.

Still, I think there is a great deal of interest in other gaming systems. And in the interest of gaming diversity, I submitted a couple RPs that I will be GM’ing for your review.

First – Super Hero RP based on the First Edition Champions System

Echos from the Multiverse

http://www.garycon.com/eventdetails.php?eid=525

Second – A Fantasy RP set in Middle-Earth and based on the Second Edition Rolemaster System with a few rules plucked from the MERP System

Amon Sul: Last Bastion of Hope

http://www.garycon.com/eventdetails.php?eid=526

Yes, yes, this is a gratuitous advertisement for my two role-plays. Mia Culpa – I procrastinated in submitting my events and totally missed the first 24 hour window when a lot of the registering for RPs takes place and I thought it would not hurt to get the word out that I finally got off my lazy duff and entered these two RPs.

This was not the sole purpose the thread though; I also wanted to see who else has played either of these RP Systems and what you think of them.

So feel free to comment on two systems if you wish.

Best regards,

Raic

2. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

I did some quick math that's -- admittedly -- rushed and half-assed. But here are some numbers to consider:

There are roughly 265 games currently scheduled for Gary Con.

Of those, I counted 85 that are listed with "D&D" as the game system (OD&D, basic D&D, AD&D, 2e, 3e, etc.)

Therefore, there are 180 NON-D&D games scheduled. In other words, 68% of the events are not Dungeons and Dragons!

If you want to remove all "fantasy RPGs" ala Pathfinder, DCC, Hackmaster, etc., you're on your own for the math. :D

3. Raic

Raic Level 0 Character

Hmmm – 32% AD&D and the like. It is even more than I thought at first glance. Thanks for the rough count sniderman.

Btw- have you ever played Champions or Rolemaster?

4. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

Nope, never played either one. Rolemaster passed me by (though I remember the ads in Dragon), and V&V was my supers game of choice back in the day.

5. Raic

Raic Level 0 Character

V&V - now that brings back memories. I played that a fair amount before migrating to Champions. I did not see a V&V adventure posted - if I can dig up my copy of the game (it is currently hiding from me) I may have to develop a RP for next years Gary Con - :)

6. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

The more the merrier! Has anyone done Rolemaster at GC before? I don't recall seeing it.

7. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

Last year, Jeff Dee was a guest. I think he may have run a game of the new V&V edition as well...

EDIT: Wait, I think he ran his new game, Cavemaster, instead in 2012.

8. Raic

Raic Level 0 Character

This will be my Second Gary Con, so I cannot speak to the first few years. I do not remember seeing it last year, or if I did I would have participated - wait there was a MERP RP that Red Wizard ran. The adventure setting was in Moria.

Anyway, as you can see above, I am giving Role Master a go this year. If well received and life allows, I will plan on running a Role Master adventure in future Gary Cons.

Regarding the Rolemaster System itself, the Combat can be a bit "chart intensive", but I think I have addressed that so it is much more streamlined. Other than that, I really like the structure of the rest of the System.

9. mark

mark Spellbinder

I had intended to play in that but I believe he had to cancel coming to the convention at all, yes?

10. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I like Champions.

There's been a little bit of V&V, Marvel, and Mutant Future, but not sure about Champions.