Running pickup games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chuck, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Chuck

Chuck Level 0 Character

I am wondering how easy it is to find players if I want to run a pickup game. I have some Cthulhu scenarios that I enjoy running and players have had fun with in the past. I plan on having the materials with me and ready to go, but I am somewhat concerned about finding people to play. I know Cthulhu games tend to fill up fast for cons (see GenCon for example where they are sold out basically as soon as people hit the register button). Any help is appreciated.

2. Chuck

Chuck Level 0 Character

Also, what days/times are the best for finding players?

3. MonsterMike

MonsterMike Level 0 Character

I have the same questions. I think the pickup games area is in the restaurant, but I don't know if there's a whiteboard or some way to advertise your game to prospective players.

I would totally be up for a casual CoC game, and I'm thinking of bringing Fiasco and a short Savage Worlds fantasy adventure to run as pickup games.

4. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Simple solution, just post a "Players wanted" sign at the open gaming table you're at. I would also suggest advertising the name of your event (game), how much time you're planning on investing & how many players you're looking for. I don't recall any sign up sheets or any whiteboards being available, but I could be wrong.
    A lot of people at Garycon are shy, or overly considerate, to just walk up & ask if they can join in. It's up to the GM to invite people over to play. Be friendly & enthusiastic. People normally avoid me as I have this "HEY! Don't bother me!" expression on my face. (It's just me.) So, I send Mama out in search of victims, (I MEAN PLAYERS), and she brings back anticipating "Hansel & Gretel" types. (Oh, so tasty.)

P.S. I do rent Mama out for a nominal fee. ;)

5. bbarsh

bbarsh Level 0 Character

I will have a white board at the Pacesetter Games vendor booth for anyone to post messages, pick up games, etc. I did this at Gen Con and many people used it.

On the subject, I will also run a AD&D scenario on either Friday or Saturday night for anyone interested. Probably a playtest of an upcoming module. Prizes for everyone who plays.

6. Chuck

Chuck Level 0 Character

I love Fiasco. The best part is that you don't need a GM to play. I'll keep in eye out for you.

7. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Card games, Board games prevail in the dining area if Im not mistaken. One card game I'm hoping someone brings is ...
    Zombies from Outer Space...or something like that.....
    The one where everyone plays 'B' budget film directors, thwarting the other players' movies while making your own.
    I bet it plays out even better in the bar.

8. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I'll definitely run a pick-up game or two during the convention. Either Thursday night or Sunday around noon, I plan to run the 1st ed. Oriental AD&D event I had to earlier cancel, The Five Deadly Masters! And during the con, I plan to also try and run a pick-up game for the other 1st ed. AD&D event I had to cancel, Denizons of the Iron Tower.

If anyone had tickets to these events, you are guaranteed a seat for the pick-up game.

9. dramaman

dramaman Level 0 Character

I got Mansions of Madness for Christmas if anyone wants to give it a try with me for a pickup game.

10. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Oh yes, I've really been wanting to try Mansions of Madness! You should run that at the DGS Cocktail Party Friday night! :)

During the cocktail party I'll be running a pick-up game of the older 5th edition Call of Cthulhu, using my Scooby-Doo adventure, An Elder Fright Is No Delight! set in our own Cthulhu By Strobelight 70's setting.

11. dramaman

Hmmm, a living game being played at a cocktail party devoted to dead games? I sense potential mayhem ensuing, such as the dead games all rising up to slay the living game. On the positive side, you guys could then call yourselves the Undead Games Society. :D

12. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

You're having one at GaryCon, too? Do tell.

:ugeek:

13. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Oh yes, the ruffled shirt tuxedos circa 1975 shall be displayed at Gary Con;)

Regarding the living and "dead" games, I see your point Dramaman. We do need to stay within certain guidelines I suppose. That said, I would love to sit in on a game of Mansions at some point during the con. ;)

14. dramaman

Red, I'll definitely bring Mansions. I'm sure we can find a time to run a pickup game.

15. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Hey dramaman, make sure to bring the steading of the hill giant game, part 2.
    Also, my friend has hopped back on board and I have to share the room with him, sorry about that, but its my way of paying for some construction work he and his brother are doing for me. Ill try and call you asap if i dont see a reply here soon enough. Let me know if that is gonna mess up your plans, you havent cancelled your other plans yet, have you?

16. dramaman

LOL, I thought about whether to bring G1 part 2 and offer as a pickup game for you. Sure, if we can find the time and players.

Don't worry about the hotel room. I had hung on to my reservation offsite just in case something fell through, so I'm fine.

17. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

Speaking of running/playing in pick-up games, I think many/most attendees will have some form of Internet access via phone, laptop, tablet, etc. So to help folks connect and find out about games, I suggest a dedicated thread here on the Gary Con forum that goes live as we near the con. Anyone at Gary Con who's looking for a game -- or plans to run one -- could post in that thread. Got some downtime or bored late at night? Check the thread and see if there's anything going on. (Or you could just wander the lodge looking for stuff in progress.)

Last year, there was talk of a whiteboard or some community bulletin board to help folks onsite hook-up for games after hours, but I don't think it materialized. As a lot of folks attending are also members of the forum, it stands that this might be an excellent way to meet-up or plan other "unofficial events." Plus, if someone plans to run a game, they could see if there's any interest before setting up in the lobby.

18. dramaman

Hmmm, too bad we can't have an actual bulletin board to announce pickup games. I think that would be much simpler. We just need someone to volunteer to bring one.

19. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Something usually gets slapped up near the reg tables. Won't be an issue.

20. bbarsh

bbarsh Level 0 Character

I posted this up several lines, but I will have a white board for community use at the Pacesetter Games booth. I did this at Gen Con and it was used quite a bit. The only strings attached is the one that holds the erasable sharpie! :D