Running pickup games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chuck, Feb 6, 2013.

1. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

One game I am eager to run as a pick-up event is a spy game of my own design which I've been working on the last 4 years. I call it Checkpoint Charlie and it's set against the backdrop of the Cold War. Where-as Top Secret is more Ian Flemming style action, ala James Bond, Checkpoint Charlie is modeled on the John le Carre' style of espionage story. I ran this at Gencon back in 2009 and we had a great time with it. So if anyone likes plot driven espionage and is interested in helping me put it through the paces let me know. I'm thinking possibly either Thursday or Saturday evening after 7PM.

2. dramaman

dramaman Level 0 Character

Red, I would really like to play in that pickup game. I still remember Jayson on the Roll for Initiative podcast talking about how much fun he had playing in your Top Secret game from Gencon a few years back and that game sounded a lot like what you are describing here.

3. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Actually it is the same game, or a more defined version of it.

My original intention back in 2009 was simply to write it as a module for Top Secret. But we got a few extra players that year whom I had not expected. So rather then try and run seven spies all after the same goal, I opted to try something I had never before done. I divided the party up into roughly three factions. I made two characters members of the SIS (MI-6). One character a CIA case officer. Another character was a West German BND agent. Two more characters were East German Stasi and the final character was a KGB operative.

Then too add some more spice I made two of them double agents. No one knew who the double agents were and because of that it went a lot like it did during the actual cold war. The "cousins" (CIA and SIS) did not confide much in each other for fear of both being a leaky ship. The Stasi followed the lead of the KGB but the KGB suspected his East German allies. Stickies were flying and to keep things secret I had to hand everyone at the table a sticky whenever replying to one player's secret request or question, that way no one knew who I was really speaking too.

Needless to say we went through an entire pad of stickies before it was over.

It was one of the most memorable games I have ever ran, mainly due to the enthusiasm of the players. The thing is, they really set the tempo and flow. I didn't have a lot of time to throw generic bad guys at them because they were too busy investigating or trying to dupe one another. And that's when I decided that while it was fun, the dynamics of that game were not really Top Secret. In fact it wasn't really any game dynamic I had ever played. So I decided to take what was something of an accident and expand on it, like when one guy got peanut butter on someone else's chocolate. ;)

I have most of the game written now. It includes a fairly extensive lexicon of spy jargon, tradecraft and actual spy gear and the mechanics are just about there. We'll see what happens but I'd enjoy having you help me playtest it. I know another attendee has also written me asking to play Checkpoint Charlie. :)

4. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Man, I hope I have time to squeeze that in, Wizard.

5. AnthonyRoberson

AnthonyRoberson Level 0 Character

Any interest in a Lamentations of the Flame Princess game?

6. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

Hey Red, Lots of Luck running that pick up game at the 70's Party, the disco ball will be rotating and the Bee gee's will be rockin. You may have to play in the bedroom, of course after I'm done using it.

M.

I posted the 70's party details in another thread., here it is once again.

Friday starting a 9pm at the Villas. I'll post the room number when I get it 8), also I'll have a poster or two hanging with more details at Garycon.

7. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Shouldn't be a prob maker, I'm looking to run my pick-up game either Thursday or Saturday night. The DGS Disco Inferno is set for friday night ;)

8. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

I read that and thought it was going to be during the party. I see now how I miss-read it. I'm not as good at readin' not much good at that book leanin' :cry:

Maker