Saw the Hobbit yesterday!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by red wizard, Dec 17, 2012.

1. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

So I took my daughter to see the Hobbit yesterday and while I wont give away any spoilers, suffice it to say it was a very good rendition of the book with a few interesting add-ons. I thought Martin Freeman, whom some might best remember as Tim from The Office (original UK version) really stole the show. He was a great choice to play Bilbo. And it was interesting to see they had cast for the part of Kili, the actor Aiden Turner (who some might remember as Mitchel in the UK version of Being Human). And for you Doctor Who fans out there (I'm a huge one, myself) you might be surprised to see Sylvester McCoy, (who played the seventh doctor) though you might not recognize him in his role of Radaghast the Brown.

2. jwk82263

jwk82263 Level 0 Character

I saw it on Sat. I have never read the books ( as I always wait for the movie to come out). I enjoyed it alot. The scenery, etc. was incredible. There are people getting elf tatoos already (not I).

3. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Wife and I saw it. We did not get tickets for the 3D viewing. I bet it looks much better. We are going back asap.

4. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

It, as LoTR does, diverges quite a bit from the book. It does a good job of interconnecting with the Rings Trilogy films which, I think, will make a nice 6 DVD set.

I'm not a purist of Tolkein, like some of my friends. I enjoyed Hobbit quite a bit, though the excessive CGI puts me off. That said, the work on Gollum was stunning. I am interested to see how they fill out the other two movies, though. Having to wait 4 more years to get a Smaug payoff isn't horribly wonderful to think of.

5. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

I really enjoyed it also, and am intent to have another go at it while it's still in theaters (and I very rarely go see anything at the theater, generally waiting for the dvd).

6. caalas

caalas Level 0 Character

You win the patience award for the century. I don't think I could wait 75 years for a movie to come out before reading the book. lol

7. Dale

Dale Administrator

I saw it the first weekend it was out.

Slight spoiler below.........................................

Clerks II mocked the Lord of the Rings that "everything walked- including the trees." If they were to make Clerks III (which I think they are), they would probably mock The Hobbit for "everybody just talked." It was good, but the pacing seemed painfully slow for the first half of the movie. Maybe it was me- and I just need to watch it a 2nd time. Still worth seeing.

8. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I found the visuals to be softer and less compelling than LOTR. I'm not sure if it was due to the 3D or just a cost saving set / design decision. I thought Hobbit was okay, but definitely not rising to the level of LOTR. I'd give the Hobbit a 7 and LOTR a 9. I found the deviations from the book to be more arbitrary and less compelling than in LOTR, but I guess I'll have to wait to see the last two installments before I can form a complete opinion on the topic.

So, is anyone else getting sick of hollow mountains full of thousands of walkways? I think we can blame Indy Jones / Spielberg for starting it; it was somehow tolerable in LOTR, but it really annoyed & distracted me in The Hobbit.

Part 2 is out next December (2013). Part 3 mid July 2014, the end is only 1.5 years off.