Show of hands: 1e PHB Idol cover.....

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by francisca, Apr 8, 2010.

1. francisca

francisca Troubadour

...alright, how many of you wrote an adventure based on/arpund the original 1e PHB cover?

I've done two. One when I was about 14, then I did another for a submission to Necromancer Games, back in the early days of 3e, but never got around to turning it in.

2. bighara

bighara Chevalier

Isn't there something in the HackMaster module "Little Keep on he Borderlands" about the idol? I'd have to dig my copy out and check.

I have never written an adventure based on it, but I did make a diorama of it using Otherworld Mini's demon idol fig & Hirst blocks. It was my present to my brother for his 40th birthday.

LINKY

3. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

/awesome present!

4. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Have not done this, but what a good idea!!

The Unearthed Arcana cover has given me some ideas.

:)

5. kersus

kersus Footpad

I'm pretty sure that is correct. :)

6. extsr

extsr Chevalier

No, but I did one based on the cover of "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm"...

7. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Slightly off topic, but I liked how the new D&D comic book used that idol; they were stealing the second eye :)

8. rossik

rossik Footpad

what comic book?
    could you tell me the number?

9. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

It was the free Dungeons & Dragons / Dark Sun #0 that was in the Gencon bags. You can also buy it. There are three covers (A, B, and Con Exclusive). Dungeons & Dragons (IDW Publishing / WOC) is supposed to release in November (pre-order September) and Dark Sun is supposed to release January 2011 (pre-order Nov).

10. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

And it's well written by a guy who needs to do more published work: John Rogers. He's very, very good. I only picked the comic up since he's writing the ongoing D&D title (and it was el-cheapo) and was not disappointed. Ignoring the tiefling character and the fact that halflings have somehow become sexy, small elves, it was pretty interesting. Good dialogue, too. I may give the series a whirl when it comes out, even if it's set in the "4th edition" frame of game settings.

Alas, the last time I had a giant statue with gems for eyes was so long ago in my formative gaming years I don't remember details. I believe the statue came alive with the theft of the gems, though.

11. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

That one probably rocks!! :cool:

12. ekimus

ekimus Footpad

I wrote a short 'n Sweet adventure back in the '90s for my group. It was meant to be a one-shot TPKiller for a night's amusement. Pre-Gens of course. I'm convinced that the idol is the archdevil Moloch. I wrestled with the reasons why lizardmen are in his temple and came up with the idea that the place is looong abandoned and located now in a swamp. The lizardmen are guarding the place to prevent outsiders from disturbing the evil within. The PCs are thus treasure greedy gits unworried about stirring up trouble. They had to slog their way through the swamp, fighting off its denizens sent againt the party by the lizardmen guardians. Upon reaching the temple they had to face off against the elite lizardmen guardians and their shaman. Once they defeated these defenders, the PCs naturally went after the idol's BIG ruby eyes. When a jewel was pried out of Moloch's head, it released a powerful fireball. TPK :)

13. smokin

smokin Chevalier

I am currently a player who's dwarven graverobber cleric/theif character is pictured atop the cover. The DM has instructed me to come up with back-story based on the 'job'. When the campaign began I had already accomplished said mission but while enroute returning to homeport (yet to be determined where), after retrieving the idol's eye, I have been washed overboard and washed ashore on some unknown beach. That's about all I can relate so far, except that I no longer possess the gem.