Some Gary Con VIII stats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gizmomathboy, Jan 8, 2016.

1. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I did hear that we went over, but I've never seen firm figures, only second-hand info.

2. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

IIRC last year's attendance was really close to 900. I don't think it topped 1,000.

3. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Speaking of growth, last year there were about 425 events listed. This year there are about 564. That is almost 33% growth from last year.

Which is pretty close in line with people's guesstimates for this years attendance (in the 1,200-1,300) range.

4. Handy Haversack

Handy Haversack Chevalier

I know of two people (including me) running games who ran nothing last year, and most others I know have upped their total. And we're bringing eight or nine people instead of three. So anecdotally, the logic is air-tight!

5. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  6. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

And a few others.

7. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Here's the latest web scrapings. No real change. In the zip file are a csv file and a sqlite3 db.

This is neither complete nor official, just me grabbing what info there is and twisting it to my will and whim.

Attached Files:

8. Navar

Navar Level 0 Character

Thanks for posting the event listing. It is a lot of gaming goodness. Can't wait for the con. Only seven weeks more.

9. Handy Haversack

Gizmo, your file-naming skills are exemplary.

10. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

I'm nothing if not ISO 8601 compliant :)

Speaking of...a new day a new scraping. Turns out we lost 1 event and picked up about 5 more, 567 events now.

Edit: forgot to add

This is neither complete nor official, just me grabbing what info there is and twisting it to my will and whim

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  11. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

If you didn't know, your browser (well if it's Firefox or Safari) can deal with sqlite databases. Hell, large swaths of software nowadays use sqlite because it's a full on db and it's tiny (the code is like less than 64K or something stupid that Bill Gates said) so it's used everywhere (like your browsing history and such).

The firefox plugin is at: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sqlite-manager/

It looks like it's not quite as easy to mess with a sqlite db in Chrome. Not gonna talk about Safari cuz I don't own any Apple products.

12. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Up to 567 events now. If anyone is counting. :)

mark and PBurke like this.
  13. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Skach, IIRC we hit really close to 900 attendees.

14. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

This is what I've collected, via the board. It's secondhand of course, but generally from Luke or Dale

2009 1 168
    2010 2 260
    2011 3 400
    2012 4 550
    2013 5 ?
    2014 6 675
    2015 7 800

mark likes this.
  15. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

That 2009 number seems low. I was at Gary Con 1, 5, 6, and 7. Gary Con 1 was in a small space, but it was PACKED!

16. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

A new day and more events! There are now 618 events. There are about 139 gaming systems and 151 GMs.

Attached Files:

17. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

IIRC, the numbers were actually closer to 125 the first year...so 168 actually seems a bit high to me. Remember...that space was good for about 70 to 80, maybe 90, comfortably.

18. Handy Haversack

Thanks for these!

19. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

You are mostly certainly welcome.

20. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

It was definitely cramped and uncomfortable. And very loud. And hot. I remember going outside periodically to cool off. I suppose the attendance figure is kind of like a fishing story. It gets bigger and bigger every time you tell it. I just remember a sea of people (even though it was probably a pond).