Star Trek - The Movie

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Dale, May 8, 2009.

1. Dale

Dale Administrator

It was a solid movie. They had a lot of ground to cover in the beginning, but I can't wait for the sequel!

I rate it an 8.5 out of 10.

Anyone else seen it?

2. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Nope, but I am skeptical... I will go see it, though!

3. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I'm skeptical, too.

The trailers make me want to refer to it as "Star Trek 90210"

4. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Is Shannon Doerty in the new Star Trek? :lol:

5. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I saw it and was impressed. It's flashy, bold and competently acted. It doesn't crap all over what has happened before and actually tells it directly to your face what it is. For a "reboot," I guess it had to. It's weakness is in the villain -- the motivation is a bit... bland -- and the time-travel aspect is something overdone on all of the television series. If you can swallow that pill, you'll have a good time and feel as if there is something to look forward to. Unlike the "prequel" Star Wars movies. (Zing!)

6. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Saw it. Loved it. 'Nuff said.

7. shalaban

shalaban Chevalier

I liked it and I feel the same way about the villain that Sir Jon does.

8. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I liked it quite a bit. I didn't love it. But I liked it... As others have said, the villian is meh. His motivation for galactic genocide is weaker than weak, but none the less, it was a pretty decent movie. Overall, good reboot.

9. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I got coerced - by the gf, of all people.

And we both enjoyed it.

It didn't have any good 'make you think' moral dilemmas or messages or allegories, like original ST. But, when they were so busy introducing the characters and the 'new reality' of the reboot, there's only so much you can do in one film.

I'm sick to death of time travel and the inherent paradoxes, but using that device made a lot of sense in this case, to create slightly different versions of the characters.

I thought the casting and performances were really excellent for the crew.

10. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

FWIW,

I thought it to be a good romp. Quite enjoyable and a good way to reboot the franchise if that is what they're thinking of doing. Characters were a little bit of what we thought they would be but with a bit of a twist and/or change.

Overall 8 out of 10 stars.

11. DuBeers

DuBeers Level 0 Character

I saw it and enjoyed it ... so I saw it again. Good flick.

12. Dale

Dale Administrator

I just watched the movie again with my dad, and it was BETTER the second time around.

So much to absorb, that the second showing made the movie even more kick ass cool. The humor was spot on as well.

I now give it a 9 out of 10 rating.

13. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Twice? Man you could have bought it on BluRay (when it comes out) for that!

14. Dale

Dale Administrator

It's not always about money.

I'm vacationing in Texas and took my Dad to see it. We had an awesome time watching it & talking about it afterward. That shared experience is worth more than just having a disk in a collection.

I'd gladly see it again with him if he wanted. :D

15. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I know, I was just kidding about the cost. If my Dad liked this kind of stuff, I would go with him as often as possible as well. I just have to settle for building stuff with him, which is fun. He's not really a movie-goer, and is slooooooooooooow to adopt anything new...