Steelers vs. Bears

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ScottyG, Sep 11, 2009.

1. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

One of my favorite match ups.
    Polamalu being out is a big blessing for the Bears.

Bears/Packers is another one of my favorite games; looking forward to Sunday night.

2. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Last night's game was slow but good. I happen to have Rothlesberger and Holmes on my fantasy team and that combo rocked last night!

I fly to Boston on Sunday early morning and am contemplating rolling over to Foxborough for a scalped ticket...

3. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

That game has a few interesting sub-plots. I'm planning on watching it.

4. amalric

amalric Level 0 Character

I could talk at length about fantasy teams, but I won't. :)

Looking forward to Giants-Redskins, and hopefully Brandon Jacobs killing defenders, just like last year.

5. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I am eager to watch the Bears give the hated GB Slackers a thorough thrashing tomorrow night. It should be a good game and I am interested to see how the addition of Rod Marinelli impacts the defense- which needs to improve over last year for the Bears to be a play-off contender. Of course I hope that Jay Cutler lives up to my expectations as well.

I loath the Pittsburg Thieves as well and it is fortunate that Troy Polamalu is out for the Bears game. However, I do respect Troy's outstanding performance and I hope that he recovers fully and continues to play. He is a fine football player and exciting to watch- even if you are not a Thieves fan. I felt the same way about Favre when he was in his prime. I hated to see him play the Bears, but I had to admire his talent.

BEAR DOWN CHICAGO BEARS!

You're the pride and joy of Illinois,
    Chicago Bears, Bear Down!!

Bear Down, Chicago Bears
    Make every play, clear the way to victory!

Bear Down, Chicago Bears
    Put up a fight with a might so fearlessly!

We'll never forget the way you thrilled the nation
    With your T-formation

Bear Down, Chicago Bears
    And let them know why you're wearing the crown!

You're the pride and joy of Illinois,
    Chicago Bears, Bear Down!!

http://www.webwaymonsters.com/song.shtml

6. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Indeed, the Redskins are going to pull an upset thrashing on the Giants!

7. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

In the Super Bowl era, the Steelers have the most Lombardis. If you include the pre-super bowl era, then the Packers are on top. No wonder you suffer from Pittsburgh and Green Bay envy.
    Personally, I don’t think Cutler will have the hoped for impact, primarily because he doesn’t have the supporting cast that he had. And I think the Bears gave away too much to acquire him, placing too much of a burden on his persnickety shoulders. I think it will all come down to the O line. He’s going to need a little more time to consistently find the open receiver, and if the line can give it to him, things could start looking up for da Bears’ faithful.

8. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Well, ScottyG, it looks like your prediction was spot on. I fell asleep in my hotel room at 10 or so, but it was looking like a pretty nasty game. Da Bears couldn't keep up with a superior Green bay team.

As for my Redskins, well, I think I am going to have to re-acquaint myself with misery for yet another season... Man, how I hate that Dan Snyder. If ever there was a case of having more money than brains...

9. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

The Packers’ defense looked good, but they had a lot of help from Chicago’s receivers. They really looked bad. Cutler was putting the ball where they should have been able to catch it, but they couldn’t hang on, and then Cutler just got frustrated.
    Both O lines were having trouble blocking.

Da Bears had some injuries too, but I don’t know how serious any of them are.

10. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

Ouch, I just read that Urlacher is out for the season.
    He's cursed. At the start of the game they were talking about how he was finally healthy, and how well he was playing. It's a shame to have a talent like that not playing.

11. Melf

It was a terrible showing by the Bears on Sunday. I think Cutler looked worse than he played because of the inexperience of his receivers. Of course, if this continues he may lose confidence and start making bad decisions and force throws all the time. That would be the end of his potential greatness. He looked more like Rex Grossman Sunday....

The loss of Urlacher will hurt a lot. He is a good player and also the leader of the D- calling audibles etc. Hunter Hillenmeyer is OK, but no where near Urlacher's calibre of play. That does not bode well for our Tampa 2 style defense.

I am not going to predict a victory versus the Thieves this Sunday for the Bears. Stranger things have happened, but the odds are against them. The defense is banged up and Rothlisberger has some good receivers- and a solid run game to make it work. It looks bleak for the good guys and we have to hope for a stroke of luck (kind of like Orton's magic TD throw last week) to Steel a victory this week.

12. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

The Bears have a decent ground game, but they couldn’t resist being pass happy with Cutler back there. It revealed weaknesses in pass blocking and bad receivers. If they can get back to a more traditional approach, i.e. set up the pass with the run, then maybe they can stabilize the O and start building some confidence in the passing game. The weakness of the receivers minimizes the loss of Polamalu for the Steelers.
    Up the middle is the strength of the Bears defense, and Urlacher is the heart of that strength; his loss is really big, but the Pittsburgh running game is more reputation than reality, they managed only 36 yards or so last week. Da Bears’ left outside pass rusher looked like a beast last week, is he that good, or was the Packers’ blocker that bad? Pittsburgh’s O line has been, and continues to be, an issue. That seems like the Bears’ best hope, but Roethlisberger might be the best in the league at scrambling and throwing on the run.
    I would be surprised if the Steelers don't win, and their pass rush doesn't make it another very bad day for Cutler.

13. amalric

amalric Level 0 Character

Dan Snyder would have more money than brains even if he was flat broke. :roll:

The Skins didn't play too badly in patches, but really that was 23-17 going on 34-13. Nice start for the Giants, here's hoping it continues.

As to the Bears, I think they did pretty well to get Cutler ~ he has all the talent, and is a vast improvement on Kyle Orton (so is my grandma, and she's dead), but...I read that Mike Martz, who knows a thing or two about offense, said this week that Cutler "just doesn't get it". It's all about him, and even after stinking up the joint with 4 INTs against the Pack he refused to step up and take responsibility - any responsibility. Add to that some teams saying last season that it was "easy to get inside his head", and he gets shakier by the day. The guy is a tool, up to him to step up and straighten himself out.

14. Melf

The Bears need to get a win aginst the Steelers and have Cutler play a solid game. If the Steelers blow them up at home and Cutler has a bad game again, his confidence will suffer. Then he could turn into a Rex Grossman like QB. That would be a disaster. Then again, he may man up and show some emotional strength an lead the team through adversity. I guess we shall have to wait and see what happens... *knocking on wood*

15. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Well, I'll be damned. It looks like Chicago just might have the Right Stuff...

16. Melf

I had a great Sunday watching football. The Bears managed to steal a victory from Pittsburg. Big thanks to their kicker for choking twice :D Mike Singletary is off to a good start as the 49ers head coach at 2-0 and the Oakland Raiders actually one a game too.

The Packers are 1-1 which helps keep the Bears competitive. Now its time for the Vikings to start a losing streak.

17. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Everyone should watch out for the Redskins this year. Clearly they are a sleeper team ready to get their game on! :roll: :lol:

18. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

About two hours before kickoff, my girlfriend went into labor.
    He was a few weeks early, but he saved me from having to watch that game.

19. Melf

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!
    :D

That is fantastic. What is the youngster's name?

20. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

Thank you! The lad's name is Liam.