Suggestions for helping the spouses find activities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Totan, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Lake Geneva area attractions

If you know of or find attractions in the Lake Geneva "area" that might help make this destination better for folks with non-gaming families post them here. Also, helpful for people hoping to stretch the weekend out into a vacation / mini vacation.
    -------------
    Six Flags Great America - Gurnee, IL (has a water park too - Hurricane Harbor)
    Milwaukee Zoo
    Wisconsin Dells
    Chicago Zoos - Brookfield Zoo, Brookfield, IL and Lincoln Park Zoo, Chicago, IL
    Chicago Botanical Gardens - Glencoe, IL
    Sears Tower - Soon to be renamed and painted silver from what I hear, Chicago, IL

2. Dale

Dale Administrator

Re: Lake Geneva area attractions

I know what they don't have in Lake Geneva...

Game Store or Used Bookshop that sells games.

3. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Hobby Shops:

There have been several atempts that have not lasted. The last successful shop was the Dungeon Hobby Shop. Other notables include the Game Guild (Don Perrin's place) and Dennis Harsh managed a little shop for a couple years as well. It is a tough business.

4. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

There's tons of bed and breakfasts
    There's the largest old-school video arcade in the region (although declining hours and may be closed at any time)

The tourist bureau is on the south end of town, across from the lake. Online version here:
    http://www.lakegenevawi.com/

5. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

There is also the Yerkes Observatory in Williams Bay, for those that like to look up. :cool:

6. Dale

Dale Administrator

I wanted to check out the Observatory, but did not get the chance. Maybe next year.

7. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Ice fishing! :p

8. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

You can Google it, they also have a nice write up on Wikipedia.

9. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

Hi -- I'm posting this for my @theprincesswife who is coming to Lake Geneva with me. She's not feeling well, so I'm doing the writing for her. :)

It sounds like several of us have spouses coming to take advantage of the great Lake Geneva activities and tourist traps... err... destinations, and maybe we can get them together to have some fun together?

For those of you familiar with Lake Geneva, maybe you could get the ball rolling? It looks like there is a pool/hot tub/spa/ at the Resort -- maybe we can help them get some suggested plans together?

10. JRT

JRT Level 0 Character

I think the best place to look is the Lake Geneva Website

http://www.lakegenevawi.com/

I've been twice, what you don't see on that site is there is a very nice downtown area that's wonderful to walk through and look around. I think as soon as you enter the town, you'll think of several things, and that web site really helps.

11. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I suggest putting a cap on your credit card limit before setting the ladies loose! :lol: Seriously, though, I'm leaving my wife at home. She'll be about 6 1/2 months pregnant...

12. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

I was hoping to do something a bit more guided and/or organized than sending these fine ladies a website address. Thanks, though.

13. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

Awww. You're a lucky man you're being let out of the house that far along.

(I went thru that 3 times...)

14. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Any planned activities have a huge "if"-factor involved: the weather. Wisconsin used to do a very good job of keeping the roads very driveable when I lived there.
    Milwaukee is less than 90 minutes away.
    Over in the western part of the center of the state is the New Glarus/ "Swiss" part of Wisconsin; not a long drive at all, and a definite Sat. possibility.
    When we lived there, and as the reduced hotel rates imply, this is not tourist season, so downtown LG might be a bit drab. So, too, might the New Glarus destination.
    The cheese shops that are open should be pretty reasonable.
    I plan to get a bunch of garlic-herb curds.

15. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Just heard, on 96.5 WKLH, that the Chinese Golden Dragon acrobatic group is to be at the Pabst Theatre on saturday March 20, 2010, but like Kaskoid said, it all depends on mother nature.

16. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

With the weather caveat noted, I suggest checking out events in Madison, WI and Milwaukee. There will be concerts, plays, shopping etc in both locations. Outdoor activities arevery limited in March. It is a tough time of year for tourism, but a great time to sit indoors and play games.

17. seskis281

seskis281 Level 0 Character

My wife is covered - she'll be playing at the con :)

18. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Yeah, she put a cap of 7 months on my out of town time. I just snuck in under the wire on this one! This will be number 2 for me. :)