Suggestions to make Gary Con 2 even better

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Totan, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

If you attended Gary Con 0 (03/08/08) and/or Gary Con 1 (03/07-08/09) in lovely Lake Geneva, WI what would you like to see to make Gary Con 2 better/funner?

2. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

First of all, is "funner" a real word?
    Secondly, an event schedule would help attendees' better plan what is available & when it's going to happen. (Event title, Time slots, host, etc:)
    Third, 3 days!!! 3 DAYS!!!! (I'll take friday off from the normal job!)
    Fourth, MORE FOOD!! (The Keeper loves to eat, & cook.)
    Fifth, Larger location. Need more gaming space! ( I'll need at least four tables to run a couple events.)
    Sixth, (I'll think of something to put here.)
    Seventh, ADVERTISE!! (I have a few local connections for this.)
    Eightth, (is that a word?), Let's have fun doing this! GARYCON I was a blast, GARYCON II is going to be a 'BIGGER' blast!

3. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Sort of appearantly:

From M-W.com
    Main Entry: fun
    Function: adjective
    Inflected Form(s): sometimes fun·ner; sometimes fun·nest

4. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I see your gonna make me pull out my Webster's. :lol:

5. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Okay, enough English teachering - English is a 2nd language for me and I have no 1st :lol:

I agree that a bigger venue would be very good, I know several people that did not attend GC1 with me and my bro because we could not get tickets for them.

I think the food was fine. It was being sold at a very small mark-up - not even sure how it helped offset the Con's expenses: $0.25 brownies, $1 hotdogs, $2 grilled burgers, etc. A big thanks to the kitchen staff - a fair number of people working hard the whole time. Also advertise what amenities will be available - I didn't know that food would be available.

Event submission and registration - more people will be interested if they know what they are in for.

Distinguish Gary Con from other Cons. It needs a niche if it is to grow and thrive. What else will make it special other than the primary factor that it honors the memory of Grand Master Gygax? I have little desire to attend GenCon regulary because I don't particularly care for D&D 3.0, 3.5, 4 etc. I would like to see Gary Con focus on D&D, AD&D 2nd Ed., Castles & Crusades (never played, but have the books).

If attendance from afar warrants it, consider a shuttle bus or two from the Milwaukee (Mitchel?) airport to Lake Geneva and back, to make it easier for people to attend. Or we could have a section for carpooling so people can consolidate rides/expenses and some folks could rent a car at the airport and share the expense.

6. rossik

rossik Footpad

its not a suggestions to the event per se, but if anyone could make a (even short) video and post at youtube, it would be great for guys like me who cant travel to other countries :)

7. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Garycon, the movie....HMMM..... :?:

8. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I think this is the closest major airport:

General Mitchell International Airport (airport designation: MKE) • 5300 South Howell Ave. • Milwaukee, WI 53207 Contact Info: Telephone: 414-747-5300 • Email: [email protected]
    http://www.mitchellairport.com/

Chicago O'hare (ORD) is the second closest.

According to Google Maps:
    MKE - 52 miles, 56 minutes
    ORD - 69 miles, 88 minutes

9. Dale

Dale Administrator

Gaming Cabana Girls.

See a previous thread about my awesome idea. :p

10. francisca

francisca Troubadour

I'd charge us, and go for a slightly bigger venue, possibly having a friday night session.

Note that I don't have a problem with the Legion Hall. Hell, TSR even had Winter Fantasy there back in the day, so it's got deep roots in TSR/D&D.

The Horticulture Hall would be an awesome place to have the Con as well, if you can swing it.

About the only other thing I can think of would be to have it a little later, to ease automobile travel for those of us driving. I would shy away from summer though, as LG is a lot more expensive (and crowded) in summer. I was musing with Kask about a good time to have GaryCon, adn thought it would be fun to have it on the day Avalon Hill turned down D&D for publication. :lol: But who knows when that is.

Regardless, where/when ever you guys have it is fine with me, I'll more than likely be there.

11. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Dale takes all the good ideas. I'll just re-state: a tournament, raffle, GC shwag (posters, dice bags, hats), an OOP vendor and artists to draw character and party portraits.

12. Greg Ellis

Greg Ellis Level 0 Character

When do the rates drop, after the summer season, in the area hotels and halls?

Is it just after Labor Day?

Maybe there's room for a fall event as well.

13. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I think having some vendor booths might be nice. In fact, getting some vendors (like Kenzer&Co.) to help sponsor GaryCon might not be a bad idea. EDIT: And the idea of an OOP vendor would be great. Also loved the auction....auction goodness is a must!

I flew into Milwaukee from TN and stayed with some friends in Waukeegan. At GaryCon II, I could easily fly into Milwaukee (much cheaper, btw) and rent a motel outside of Lake Geneva. Trying to find a shuttle to the Con would be the biggest problem.

As to the focus of GaryCon, imo, it should focus on old school gaming or games that retain that flavor. Strategy games, old school rpgs, board games, etc.

I thought the food was excellent and the prices were extremely reasonable.

Only thing I would have liked is a better overhang outside so that the poor smoking class didn't get soaking wet. :p

14. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Well, I'll hope that the same ex-TSR guys will be there and perhaps more can be invited.

I met and spoke with several at Gary's funeral and they were all very nice and quite friendly. So if Luke is in agreement, here are few that might be interested - (even if they don't game, they might like to stop by and say hello for one of the days - and as I recall most still live in the area):

Harold Johnson
    Jim & Laura Roslof
    Doug Niles
    Skip Williams
    Jeff Easley

And Luke and Ernie can probably think of some others.

:p

15. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Hey there G.P., yeah, us smokers had it tuff! Felt like a mailman.( Neither wind, nor rain, nor broken Bic....) :lol: If you did stay locally I'd be more than willing to shuttle you back & forth. There's an Americinn Lodge right down the road from me. If you think that would work out just let me know.

16. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Would be alright by me, but I do believe the rates do not really drop until the beginning of October.

17. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I agree. Gary Con should have its own nitch and not be just another gaming con. Although I'd love to play Serenity, I might have to find another venue for that if Gary Con solidifies in the manner suggested above. Cyberpunk 2020 (1990?) might be deemed old school enough?
    -----------
    I don't like the idea of moving the date. If it is supposed to (in part) memorialize Gary, then I'd like to see it always encompass (or be as close as possible to) 3/4 or 3/8.

18. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I got a $59.95 rate at the Comfort Suites for anybody that mentioned Gary Con when they booked. I can probably get the same or better if I can guarentee a block of rooms. So stay tuned, once I get the basics lined up I will find what hotels are willing to give us a discount.

Luke

19. Greg Ellis

Greg Ellis Level 0 Character

I stayed at the Plaza for LGGC #1. Even in high season, it was only $99 or so, for a room with two beds. Some others did the same in subsequent years.

It's not a palace or anything, but the folks are nice and the rooms are clean. There was no way I could afford The Cove, along with my airfare.

In more recent years, I've been lucky enough to stay at Forgie's place, so I don't know if the rates crept up over time.

20. francisca

francisca Troubadour

I think me and tacojon paid $89.99/night at the plaza at LGGC IV.